[Tool] UDK T3D to Unreal 4 T3D Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    My program with source code (visual studio 2013) and documentation https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ortingTool.rar
    Works on UE 4.6
    It convert from UDK to UE4 level entities:
    *StaticMeshes
    *SkeletalMeshes
    *Ligts
    *Emitters (particles)
    A little bit harder to add custom entities` (without source code editing), but still possible.

PS. I forgot about my promise to add link, sry)

Another link (if I delete it from dropbox)
    http://vk.com/doc45257863_349174085 change extension from .txt to .rar.
    Last edited by Stridemann; 12-11-2014, 09:59 AM. Reason: Links update

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This plugin can't import map info in "last" (tested on 4.4.3) version of UE4.

There are some changes in copy\paste data structure.

So I decided to make my own program https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...99/UDK-UE4.jpg
    I can post download link later (when I finish it). Program works with static and skeletal meshes, and no sence to add light suport, because "Speedy37 released a UDK import plugin", and this plugin works with light (and content). BUT it don't import static meshes. It import one mesh to coordinate 0,0,0 with no mesh model. I think "there is no such model in folder" can couse this bug, or there are some changes in copy\paste data structure or I use old version of engine (4.4.3) ?
    Sry for my bad english.
    Last edited by Stridemann; 11-21-2014, 12:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Has supports for lights been added? It just complains that no staticmeshes were found when copying lights.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Nice work!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Any ideas of how to export the level from UDK, with materials, as a mesh? FBX and proper UV maps?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Spoondog View Post
    I'd also be interested in this, even if it's only very basic. Very tedious and time consuming having to have UDK open and having to manually re-create all the nodes of a complex material and hook them up one by one. Both UDK & UE4 export materials to .T3D or .COPY but I've never found a way to actually import it. Seems like it should be possible..
    I already had a new build of my tool able to convert T3D materials, However there is a major roadblock preventing material support, Despite the fact you are able to export materials as T3D files out of the engine, Importing T3D files back into the engine is limited to only importing actors into the scene, and not creating new assets like a new material.
    I've posted a request on the answer hub and it's been added to their internal database but who knows when, if ever it will be implemented.

UDK's material editor does not use T3D to copy nodes, while UE4 does. While it may be possible to take an exported UDK T3D material, and convert it to T3D you paste into UE4's material editor, the problem is the T3D generated by UE4's material editor is needlessly complex (it manually defines the creation of each node/pin) that would require a significant amount of work and I'd have to manually create support for every single node.

But actually it may not matter because Speedy37 released a UDK import plugin that supports materials because its an actual UE4 plugin. However my tool supports more actors than his.

@xvampire, Yea that is weird results I have not seen before, can you send me the output you get from UDK? I'll need it to track down the bug.
    Last edited by Matt3D; 08-28-2014, 03:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Matt3D View Post
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...4Tool_v1.2.zip

I've updated both the currently released version (1.2), and the forthcoming paid (2.0) version to support vertex colors.

However, a note on Vertex Colors: While the tool does support the porting over of Static Mesh vertex colors. There is an issue that may prevent them from working.
    The import/export process of meshes is sometimes not 1 to 1. A mesh that is re-exported out of UDK may not have the same structure as it actually does inside UDK. This means that although the Vertex color data is there the T3D script and is converted, it won’t appear up on the UE4 mesh because technically, it’s a different mesh now.
    In order to fix this issue, You can try re-importing the mesh back into UDK. This means both engines have the exact same data to work with, then copying the actors.

I'm currently exploring my options on how to step a way to purchase the 2.0 version.
    hi , really awesome tool , ireally enjoy experiment with it ,
    however I got some weird result when using v 1.1 and v1.2

this is after conversion , notice that only the first static mesh path got converted but the second or other static mesh stay the same

it should be
    StaticMesh=StaticMesh'/Game/MyMesh/Arrow.Arrow'
    but some how the other static mesh still :
    StaticMesh=StaticMesh'MyMesh.Arrow'

Begin Map
    Begin Level

Begin Actor Class=StaticMeshActor Name=StaticMeshActor_4 Archetype=StaticMeshActor'/Script/Engine.Default__StaticMeshActor'
    Begin Object Class=StaticMeshComponent Name=StaticMeshComponent0 ObjName=StaticMeshComponent0 Archetype=StaticMeshComponent'/Script/Engine.Default__StaticMeshActor:StaticMeshComponent0'
    End Object
    Begin Object Name=StaticMeshComponent0
    StaticMesh=StaticMesh'/Game/MyMesh/Arrow.Arrow'
    BodyInstance=(Scale3D=((X=1,Y=1,Z=1)))
    RelativeLocation=(X=592.000000,Y=208.000000,Z=0.000000)
    RelativeRotation=(Pitch=0,Yaw=0,Roll=0)
    RelativeScale3D=(X=1,Y=1,Z=1)
    End Object
    StaticMeshComponent=StaticMeshComponent0
    RootComponent=StaticMeshComponent0
    ActorLabel="StaticMeshActor_4"
    End Actor
    Begin Actor Class=StaticMeshActor Name=Begin Actor Class=StaticMeshActor Name=StaticMeshActor_5 Archetype=StaticMeshActor'Engine.Default__StaticMeshActor' Archetype=StaticMeshActor'/Script/Engine.Default__StaticMeshActor'
    Begin Object Class=StaticMeshComponent Name=StaticMeshComponent0 ObjName=StaticMeshComponent0 Archetype=StaticMeshComponent'/Script/Engine.Default__StaticMeshActor:StaticMeshComponent0'
    End Object
    Begin Object Name=StaticMeshComponent0
    StaticMesh=StaticMesh'MyMesh.Arrow'
    BodyInstance=(Scale3D=(DrawScale3D=(X=1.000000,Y=1.000000,Z=1.000000)))
    Location=(X=608.000000,Y=-63.999992,Z=0.000000)
    Rotation=(Pitch=0,Yaw=-16384,Roll=0)
    RelativeScale3D=DrawScale3D=(X=1.000000,Y=1.000000,Z=1.000000)
    End Object
    so in unreal engine 4 only the first arrow appears on my scene

but again , thanks for the effort really appreciate it

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Does this support material import?
    I'd also be interested in this, even if it's only very basic. Very tedious and time consuming having to have UDK open and having to manually re-create all the nodes of a complex material and hook them up one by one. Both UDK & UE4 export materials to .T3D or .COPY but I've never found a way to actually import it. Seems like it should be possible..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Does this support material import?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...4Tool_v1.2.zip

I've updated both the currently released version (1.2), and the forthcoming paid (2.0) version to support vertex colors.

However, a note on Vertex Colors: While the tool does support the porting over of Static Mesh vertex colors. There is an issue that may prevent them from working.
    The import/export process of meshes is sometimes not 1 to 1. A mesh that is re-exported out of UDK may not have the same structure as it actually does inside UDK. This means that although the Vertex color data is there the T3D script and is converted, it won’t appear up on the UE4 mesh because technically, it’s a different mesh now.
    In order to fix this issue, You can try re-importing the mesh back into UDK. This means both engines have the exact same data to work with, then copying the actors.

I'm currently exploring my options on how to step a way to purchase the 2.0 version.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by BarrettMeeker View Post
    Awesome, could you add support for importing the vertex colors? I noticed they are included in the copy & paste text in both UDK and UE4. I'm tempted to write a script to convert myself but if you could include it in your tool that would be awesome! Let me know if there is anyway to buy it sooner too as I could really really use it.

Thanks!!
    I'll look into it tomorrow/this weekend, shouldn't be a problem. We can work something out immediately if you want access to it, Haven't settled on a price but I've been thinking $5 or $10.
    As you may of noticed the Marketplace is taking early submissions but external tools like mine aren't allowed yet, and I don't know if they will ever be.

It's been suggested that I remake the tool as a UE4 plug-in, and well I've wanted to dig into the source code for unreal for awhile now, but am not that Familiar with C++. I've been using Unity C# for awhile now and have written a bunch of editor tools that I would like to recreate in Unreal 4. The tool itself is also written in C#.
    I would rather not have to re-write the whole tool again in C++ (although I have no idea what (if any) rewriting would be required)

I don't even know how easy it is to extend the editor or even what's possible, I asked a question of how to get started with scripting the editor. Blutilities seem to be half implemented because they were a "friday experiment", plus with any visual scripting engine you are limited by it's implementation. I couldn't figure out how to get or provide selected assets so that I could do something with them. I believe that's because Blueprints are all about programming game logic, and not about accessing the editor.

So for now the tool will have to remain an external tool.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Awesome, could you add support for importing the vertex colors? I noticed they are included in the copy & paste text in both UDK and UE4. I'm tempted to write a script to convert myself but if you could include it in your tool that would be awesome! Let me know if there is anyway to buy it sooner too as I could really really use it.

Thanks!!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Here's an update and some news.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...4Tool_v1.1.zip

Version 1.1 changes:
    -Two check boxes for scaling the location and drawscale values by 2. This is an alternative rather than parenting everything and scaling the Parent by 2 in order to fix the size of assets.
    -Any and all Material Overrides are supported as well as Overridden Light map UV's
    -Bug fixes, now you should no longer be getting index errors such as when actors having missing static mesh paths

I've received a commission to improve the tool, and have already implemented the following features for version 1.2, This version will be released as a paid asset on the Unreal Marketplace when it launches.

1. By providing the path to your UE4 "Content" folder, the tool will dynamically search through the assets and match by name and use the found path instead of converting the UDK path. This allows you to have the assets in any location, the only requirement is that they have the same name
    2. Support for the following actors added:
    -Lights (All types except for Skylights and pickup lights)
    -Kactors
    -InterpActors
    -Skeletal Mesh Actors
    -Interactive Foliage Actors
    -Fractured static meshes
    -Apex Destructible actors
    -Cameras
    -PlayerStarts
    -Exponential Height fog
    -Particles
    -Decals
    -AmbientSound/AmbientSoundSimple

Although UDK and UE4 both support exporting materials out to T3D. The functionality for re-importing a material as T3D back into the engine is broken in both versions. Therefore there's no easy way to port over materials yet, unless Epic fixes this.
    SpeedTree actors are a potential addition to this tool, however I do not have a subscription right now for SpeedTree for UE4, which I would need in order to find out how they are implemented.

Let me know if there's any other actors I've missed that I could potentially add on.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thank you, this worked flawlessly.

Protip: If you're getting an Index error your object may be too far (off the grid far) from the origin.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thank you so much for this Matt3D. You're a true gentleman! We're working on quite a bit project and might have to go from UDK to UE4 so your tool is a lifesaver!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X