[RELEASED] Flathead = UE4 + Javascript

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Curious what the current state of this is, especially for builds on OSX/Linux. Any info?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Good day.

i am looking into this and will update this thread with the required steps. I am currently on an extend business trip so please bear with me. Keep posting your issues though. I am still following the thread closely.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi,

I am having the exact same error when adding Flathead with Unreal 4.8 as part of a game pluging. With the same configuration that @nitro52 has on his left screenshot only the plugin is added in the Plugins folder of my game.

Is there any news on this?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sorry what i meant was that i am building Flathead alone with the latest release of the Unreal Engine Source. (for example cloned UE repo, added flathead to plugins folder, regenerated project files). Instead of creating a C++ game project and adding it to the plugins directory of the game itself. I want to be able to debug it and see how it works.

Flathead's ThirdParty dependancies should be in the right place, it was part of the source i downloaded from github (master branch)

Hope these images help
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Flathead Plugins Folder.png
Views:	1
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	1079364Click image for larger version

Name:	UE Solution.png
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	1079365

Leave a comment:

• replied
    To start with, can you explain further what you mean by not as part of a project?

Flathead is set up to load in as a plugin, and requires a set of dependencies, referenced here as ThirdParty.zip:
    https://github.com/BobGneu/Flathead/releases/tag/1.0.0

Let me know if that helps. Keep in mind that building flathead is not a trivial endeavor.
    If you need more help I would suggest you join us on IRC #Gneu on gamesurge.net

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi,
    I'm trying to build Flathead from source along with the UE engine (not as part of a project) and can't seem to get it to build. I get the below error. I've tried the download link in the github wiki instructions as well as the master branch, which i noticed now includes the third party folder. Anyone got any ideas? Building in VS2013 with Development Editor - 64bit configuration

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.png
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	1079331

Leave a comment:

• replied
    =)

The bad news for most is that they have to be comfortable sharing their code. The good news is, most of those looking for a scripting language option are doing it to get away from C++ and wont be interested in it anyways. This is really the only reason I am comfortable with it - that and you can all fork my code to do amazing things too.

Just remember where you got it!

According to their license it is also a requirement that the language itself be shared (compiler, toolchain, etc.) openly. This puts some significant limitations on people trying to sell their own languages, and explains why there have been so many of these projects started and abandoned. IMO it's a pretty silly limitation, but they surely have their reasons.

Either way, out of the gloom of doubt. Let's get back to work! I have some significant work to do on refactoring and cleaning up before making this a publicly distributed plugin. =)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Okay super. You are doing great with this, and furthermore, this opens up again the possibility to bind Mono or the core clr much the same way you do V8!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    UPDATE:

Good Day to everyone!
    Just finished some emails with Epic Legal and they have cleared things up with me sufficiently. My plugin is not in violation of their EULA, as it has its source (as well as either end) available in source form.

Thank you for your notes, development continues!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I am going to do you (and everyone else) one better, I just got off the phone and will be contacting epic directly for their views on this situation.
    Judging by their response an action will be taken.

Hang onto your butts.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Mikand79 View Post
    Selling plugins per se is just fine. Its just that the EULA has a specific requirement for programming languages as this, and thats what I meant:

In 1.d.
    Thank you for this note as well. I understand your concern (Read what the EULA says), but you aren't buying the language implementation, any of the tools phases along the way and/or the final resulting code. You are purchasing the binding between the two and it is also available in source form and able to be freely distributed, once purchased. I have been assured that this is within the confines of the agreement.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Selling plugins per se is just fine. Its just that the EULA has a specific requirement for programming languages as this, and thats what I meant:

In 1.d.
    You may Distribute an integration of a programming language other than C++ for the Licensed Technology, but if you do, the integration must be Distributed free of charge, permit Distribution in a Product free of charge on all platforms, and be available in source code form (including, but not limited to, any compiler, linker, toolchain, or runtime) to all Engine Licensees.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The plugin itself is completely free and open sourced. You would be purchasing a license to my binding. From last weeks twitch stream I think your interpretation may also be off, as they are about to start distributing paid code plugins on the marketplace soon, and have been selling content plugins since the market place went public. All of the third party plugins currently work the same way as I have created this one.

Though, I'll dive back into the EULA to confirm. Thanks for the notes!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Might be I understood something completly wrong.

But doesn't the UE4 EULA enforce language integrations to be all-free? How can you make this a paid plugin then?

My understanding was thats why Mono integration stopped. Don't misunderstand my question as criticism or trolling, Im genuinely interested if I understood the EULA wrong here or that you might have different agreement with Epic.
    Last edited by Mikand79; 05-12-2015, 04:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    May 31 is to be the final day of the beta phase of Flathead, and lots of changes have come. The truth is, I rewrote the entire plugin and am about a day away from finishing the process. Its been a long road, but I think you will find it useful, powerful, interesting, agile and above all else fun to develop with. I've been on IRC fielding a handful of questions about the licensing and capabilities that the engine provides, and if you are interested please don't hesitate to pop over and check out the change log and short list of FAQs.

In the next few days I'll be cleaning up the OP and getting the documentation in order for your perusal, just in time for mid may madness.

If there are any questions or comments, feel free to email me or post here.
    bob@gneu.org

Leave a comment:

Working...
X