No announcement yet.

[TUTORIAL] Physics Handle / Pick Up Physics Objects

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi TJ, sorry to bump such an old thread but I've been playing around with this tutorial all day and I can't seem to get it working. I've followed the tut to the letter (can provide pics), but all that is happening is when I click the actors and it's hitting (I can tell by the line and the red box, as Draw Debug Type is on), the actor is just disappearing, I'm not picking it up or anything, it just vanishes. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by benjia View Post
      Hi TJ, sorry to bump such an old thread but I've been playing around with this tutorial all day and I can't seem to get it working. I've followed the tut to the letter (can provide pics), but all that is happening is when I click the actors and it's hitting (I can tell by the line and the red box, as Draw Debug Type is on), the actor is just disappearing, I'm not picking it up or anything, it just vanishes. Any ideas?

Thanks!
      I'm not sure what that could be right off, but feel free to post screenshots of your blueprint graph and I'll take a look.

Comment

Ok ! Here's screencaps of the blueprint:

Click image for larger version

Name:	UzUUhVX.png
Views:	1
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	1065721

Name:	bEeznWT.jpg
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	1065722

Name:	D973LRn.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1065723

And for the sake of prudence, here's the other nodes that are in the blueprint (ripped out of the first person shooter content example):

Name:	mQaHUZv.png
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1065724

Any ideas? Thanks for the great tut + help, either way

Also, how did you do that thing where your lines are pinned in places? So that you can read the blueprint more clearly - I can't work it out

Comment

Hi TJ,

Thanks for this great tutorial it works great for me. I've now used this to create amnesia type movement by using the mouse axis to effect Item location so you can drag your mouse back and forth and slowly open physics doors so you can peek! It works real good I just have 3 questions.. (Bet you're thinking ohh no..)

Question 1, In the 'Get Other Object Location' why do you set a variable for 'OtherItemRotation' when it appears this does nothing later on in the tutorial? I have removed this from mine as I did not understand its purpose?

Question 2, when i trace to hit a physics object it pushes the physics object slightly when the trace hits, so when I grab my physics door it pushes forward slightly when its grabbed, is there any way to reduce this forward push? Maybe settings inside the grab component?

Question 3, Replication (Uhh Ohh..) I've tried to replicate this by using a multicast and on various attempts of running it on server, but I am finding it hard to replicate the movement of the door/Physics object once its grabbed? Any idea what part needs to be replicated?

Thanks for the awesome tutorial.

Conkerballs.

Comment

Ok ! Here's screencaps of the blueprint:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23725[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23726[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23727[/ATTACH]

And for the sake of prudence, here's the other nodes that are in the blueprint (ripped out of the first person shooter content example):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23728[/ATTACH]

Any ideas? Thanks for the great tut + help, either way

Also, how did you do that thing where your lines are pinned in places? So that you can read the blueprint more clearly - I can't work it out
            Okay, I believe the issue is right at the beginning in the "Sets pickup object location". You are multiplying the Get Actor Location and the other multiplied value when you need to be adding them. If you change this to an Add node, it should work fine.

Post back and let me know if that fixes it.

Comment

Originally posted by Conkerballs View Post
              Hi TJ,

Thanks for this great tutorial it works great for me. I've now used this to create amnesia type movement by using the mouse axis to effect Item location so you can drag your mouse back and forth and slowly open physics doors so you can peek! It works real good I just have 3 questions.. (Bet you're thinking ohh no..)

Question 1, In the 'Get Other Object Location' why do you set a variable for 'OtherItemRotation' when it appears this does nothing later on in the tutorial? I have removed this from mine as I did not understand its purpose?

Question 2, when i trace to hit a physics object it pushes the physics object slightly when the trace hits, so when I grab my physics door it pushes forward slightly when its grabbed, is there any way to reduce this forward push? Maybe settings inside the grab component?

Question 3, Replication (Uhh Ohh..) I've tried to replicate this by using a multicast and on various attempts of running it on server, but I am finding it hard to replicate the movement of the door/Physics object once its grabbed? Any idea what part needs to be replicated?

Thanks for the awesome tutorial.

Conkerballs.
              #1 - You're right, the Other Item Rotation is only set and doesn't get called into use in the tutorial. I should have mentioned on this step. The reason I set this variable is so I have the option to manipulate the objects rotation later on. I haven't had time to implement this but I have plans to allow the object to be picked up and then examined by rotating it around.

#2 - This is something I've been working on as well but I haven't quite figured it out yet. Basically what I think needs to happen is the Pickup Distance needs to be set per object instead of having a set distance. This set distance creates a jostle effect when the object is first picked up, or a slight push/pull on something that has constrained rotations like a door.

If you figure this out before I do, please post it here for everyone.

#3 - Ah...replication. This is also something else I've been looking into lately. As of right now this is the results I am getting:

Setting an object to replicate will replicate on the server and client as long as the server player is the one manipulating the objects. If the client manipulates the objects, it is not replicated back to the server.

I'm actively working on this one. As soon as I have an update I'll post back here.

I hope that answered your questions.

Cheers,

TJ

Comment

Originally posted by TJ Ballard View Post
                Okay, I believe the issue is right at the beginning in the "Sets pickup object location". You are multiplying the Get Actor Location and the other multiplied value when you need to be adding them. If you change this to an Add node, it should work fine.

Post back and let me know if that fixes it.
                That fixed it! Super awesome, can't believe I missed that - I checked over the blueprint a bunch of times. Anyway thanks so much for the tut and the help!

Comment

That fixed it! Super awesome, can't believe I missed that - I checked over the blueprint a bunch of times. Anyway thanks so much for the tut and the help!
                  You're welcome, anytime! I'm glad you got it working.

Comment

This is the exact style of picking up that I was looking for! Thank you! But I do have a question, how would this be modified to work in a networked game?

Comment

My apologies, I see that you already answered this question in a previous question. I have gotten a result where the client doesn't ever see the movement of the object, it doesn't matter who tried to pick it up the client or the server, but the server sees the client and the server moving the object.

Comment

Yeah same issue I'm having also.. Would be nice seeing this in Multiplayer will bring amazing amounts of immersion for Amnesia doors

Comment

Had any luck yet TJ? I've been on my 12 hour shifts so not looked into it just yet..

Comment

Has anyone had any luck with this? I got it to work from Server to client but not the other way.

Comment

Hey there. Thank you for the tutorial! Your work is appreciated. However, I am having a bit of an issue. I am fairly new to Blueprints, and I was wondering where the "Release Component" and the "Physics Handle" Target comes from, exactly? (On #1 in the tutorial). I tried figuring it out myself for a while, but I can't seem to get it.

I would appreciate any help on this matter.
                              Joseph C. - 3D Artist
                              http://www.vertexhero.com/

Comment

I should also mention that I'm not using any characters in the game, just a capsule and camera.
                                Joseph C. - 3D Artist
                                http://www.vertexhero.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X