[TUTORIAL] Blutility - Running Blueprint functions inside Editor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [TUTORIAL] Blutility - Running Blueprint functions inside Editor

I'm not very good at writing a lot of text, so I'll get straight to the point

Step 1: Enable the Blutility!
    Open Editor Preferences -> Experimental, then enable Blutility.

Step 2: Create Blutility asset
    Inside the Content Browser, click on New (or right-click in an empty space), then select Miscellaneous -> Blutility.

Now select Custom Classes -> GlobalEditorUtilityBase as a base type.

Step 3: Adding simple functionality
    In order to edit our newly created asset, we need to right-click it and select Edit Blueprint

We are presented with a familiar Blueprint Editor window.
    Every Function that you create will be exposed to Blutility making it callable from the Editor, but from my test only functions with no input parameters are being exposed.

After compiling and saving our graph, it's time to test it! Close the BP Editor window, then double-click on the asset. This should bring the Blutility Details panel.

As you can see it has a button with the name of our function - you guessed it - clicking on the button calls the function!
    Lets see some results!

And that's it!
    Have fun and good luck!

Comment

Thanks for this! I'm curious to see what can be done with it. have you done anything further with it?
      I'd love to be able to iterate over editor content (assets) but that doesn't seem to be working. In my case, I have lots of textures that I'd want to make into material instances based off a single material, but that's not quite working as there aren't any functions available for creating assets, etc. (Atleast that I can find!) And the For Each Selected Asset doesn't seem to work right (unless I'm missing something important :P)
      Last edited by Tom Shannon; 04-11-2014, 05:46 PM.

Comment

I'm afraid I haven't done anything more spectacular than iterating through some objects, messing with their positions etc.
        Did you check if you can manipulate Assets from C++? If so, you could try to create custom BP nodes and use it that way

Comment

I haven't tried messing with the content browser. But I can definitely mess around with objects placed in the world, or place objects in the world using C++.

Comment

*Edit*

Very cool stuff. I'm not seeing the print to screen that you see in yours with the same setup. I'm able to get exposed variables to change based on what's in the level, but nothing prints to the screen. Any idea why that could be?

*Edit* Figured it out. You have to have Show Stats (Shift+L) turned on in the editor.
            Last edited by Gooner44; 07-31-2014, 04:04 PM. Reason: Found an answer
            Gooner44
            Cribbage Sample Project on MP

Comment

Originally posted by phoboz View Post
              Step 3: Adding simple functionality
              In order to edit our newly created asset, we need to right-click it and select Edit Blueprint

And that's it!
              Have fun and good luck!
              on version 4.3 worked fine, but on 4.4 button is not displayed after the creation of the function, can you check it out?
              Click image for larger version

Name:	blu_b_01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	1053599
              Click image for larger version

Name:	blu_b_02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	1053600

Comment

Originally posted by rk_ View Post
                on version 4.3 worked fine, but on 4.4 button is not displayed after the creation of the function, can you check it out?
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]9098[/ATTACH]
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]9099[/ATTACH]
                I'm having the same issue. No button is created in 4.4
                Game Developer @ LODZERO - My Twitter | tomlooman.com UE4 samples & tutorials | C++ Survival Game (Open-source template)

Comment

You can now call Blueprints Custom Events from any Blueprints that are placed in world. First create a new Actor Blueprint. Then create a Custom Event and enable Call In Editor.

Then drag and place this Blueprint in the world and select your Event from the list of Blutilities and hit Run. Thats it.

Unreal Nexus - Create Share and Experience!
                  Unreal Engine 4 World-Wide User Map

[PLUGIN] Aws Gamelift Client Plugin
                  [TOOL] Create your own binary release of UE4 from GitHub source
                  [Marketplace] Vehicle Soccer Template
                  [Marketplace] Objective Waypoint System
                  My UE4 Tutorials and Misc Tools

Lead Programmer at YetiTech Studios
                  Your Friendly Neighborhood
                  Satheesh PV (a.k.a RyanJon2040) | Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Google+

Comment

Heya - while that is pretty nice it still doesn't solve the Blutility issue that others posted above (I am having it myself).
                    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Comment

Originally posted by DamirH View Post
                      Heya - while that is pretty nice it still doesn't solve the Blutility issue that others posted above (I am having it myself).
                      I've bugged for this. I don't think its high up on the tree at this time. :/ Blutility is so powerful, but so useless if I have to use 4.3.

Comment

Even with using events in Blutilities rather than functions - still nothing.

Comment

I haven't been able to run Blutility either. It seems to be on the background at the moment and not really focused on in UE's development.

I hope it will be improved, I have so many things I'd like to script in Blutility for level design!
                          Game Developer @ LODZERO - My Twitter | tomlooman.com UE4 samples & tutorials | C++ Survival Game (Open-source template)

Comment

Any updates on this?

Comment

Working...
                            X