No announcement yet.

[TUTORIAL] Quick Time-of-Day Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any chance you're going to update your wiki entry to include instructions on how to add a moon. Cause right now Night time is pitch black.
    -TorQueMoD
    www.torquemod.com

Comment

Hey guys, great stuff!

I have one question.. I just tried it, and noticed that even at like 10-12 PM, due to that white-ish fog being there, the scene looks really bright, apart from dark sky.. Is there an easy way to prevent that from happening?
      Sorry if that's already been discussed somewhere in this thread, I didn't read it all..

Comment

Hi there. I've been fooling with this for about 9 hours now and I cannot manage to make it function properly.

I am stuck on the "5. In BP_Skydome_DayNight's properties, under the "Sun" category, set "Directional Light Actor" to be the directional light in your level. (Just click on the property, a menu should pop up. Select the thing called "Directional" something.)" portion. When I click on the Directiona Light Actor there is nothing for me to set and I am not able to drag my Directional Light into the BP. Also, at the bottom of this section the "Default Value" section is locked.

Extremely frustrated with this at the moment and I am sure I am overlooking something extremely simple. Any help is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarrtarus View Post
          Hi there. I've been fooling with this for about 9 hours now and I cannot manage to make it function properly.

I am stuck on the "5. In BP_Skydome_DayNight's properties, under the "Sun" category, set "Directional Light Actor" to be the directional light in your level. (Just click on the property, a menu should pop up. Select the thing called "Directional" something.)" portion. When I click on the Directiona Light Actor there is nothing for me to set and I am not able to drag my Directional Light into the BP. Also, at the bottom of this section the "Default Value" section is locked.

Extremely frustrated with this at the moment and I am sure I am overlooking something extremely simple. Any help is appreciated.
          Hi there, I have created an advanced version of this tutorial so the options might look slightly different, but what he means by #5 is once you have your skydome placed in your level, go to the Scene Outliner and select the skydome, now down in the details panel you need to set the DirectionalLightActor that is currently placed in your level, use the drop-down menu to show all of the lights available and choose your sun's directional light, similar to this (note I named it differently, same idea though):

Click image for larger version

Name:	timedaysun.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1060948

This is from within your level, not within the actual skydome blueprint. Hope that helps, let me know if you need any more info!
          Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

Originally posted by DotCam View Post
            Hi there, I have created an advanced version of this tutorial so the options might look slightly different, but what he means by #5 is once you have your skydome placed in your level, go to the Scene Outliner and select the skydome, now down in the details panel you need to set the DirectionalLightActor that is currently placed in your level, use the drop-down menu to show all of the lights available and choose your sun's directional light, similar to this (note I named it differently, same idea though):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16980[/ATTACH]

This is from within your level, not within the actual skydome blueprint. Hope that helps, let me know if you need any more info!
            Wow! Thank you so much, that was the problem exactly. I feel dumb now, haha.

Comment

Hey guys, I'm back! I finally have time to work on this again, and I'm going to release a new version this weekend.

I fixed that super annoying white glow at night (yay!) and made the stars rotate around the earth at an adjustable speed (this is a bit buggy still). Is there anything that you want me to put in the next release (provided it's doable)?

Also, what's a good free file hosting service? Is there anything that lets me link directly to the file, instead of going through the host's site?

Finally, I really want to add cloud adjustments (overcast, clear, etc.) but I can't figure it out. If someone with more artistic talent could help me out, that would be great UppercutAJ, how did it go for you?

EDIT: looking through this thread again, I just wanted to answer some of the posts:

@KlausBecker, The moon moves now! Download 1.2. As for changing the size of the sun on the fly, that seems kinda unrealistic.

@TorQueMoD, I don't plan to add all this to the wiki, as it would be really complicated. The wiki tutorial was meant to be more of a quick-and-dirty way to admire the LPV GI rather than a full-blown TOD system.
              Last edited by gregdumb; 11-14-2014, 01:50 PM.
              Fully dynamic Time of Day System blueprint: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...e-of-Day-Setup Download it for free now!

Comment

Originally posted by gregdumb View Post
                Hey guys, I'm back! I finally have time to work on this again, and I'm going to release a new version this weekend.

I fixed that super annoying white glow at night (yay!) and made the stars rotate around the earth at an adjustable speed (this is a bit buggy still). Is there anything that you want me to put in the next release (provided it's doable)?

Also, what's a good free file hosting service? Is there anything that lets me link directly to the file, instead of going through the host's site?

Finally, I really want to add cloud adjustments (overcast, clear, etc.) but I can't figure it out. If someone with more artistic talent could help me out, that would be great UppercutAJ, how did it go for you?
                Hey Greg!

First of all thank you for sharing all of this, it helped me create a similar system based off of yours with some added features, I am currently working on some more effects for it but in my signature below I have a project containing some of the changes, if you like any of them feel free to add them into the project! Still a ways to go, but I added a moon that rotates, added settings to adjust the sun & moon rise/fall horizon position, added a second mesh closer in that handles the clouds, with the main sphere handling the sun, atmosphere, stars etc. Added in a lightning spawning system with some configurable settings, fog settings, and am currently working on particle based clouds and rain.

Download it and have a look, I would love to contribute anything I can!

Right now I use Mega & Google Drive to host, I was using Dropbox but they took my public links down due to too much traffic, but the other 2 have not had any issues.
                Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

Mega has lots of space
                  12 CatBlack Studios - One man with a dream, to create amazing things...
                  RPG Engine Toolkit: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...engine-toolkit
                  Auto Terrain Cover V3: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ver-V3-Release
                  Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuT...VDuzeIeJ6_j1pA
                  Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/12-Ca...52913014823124

Comment

Nice DotCam! Downloading now. Sounds like you're a bit ahead of me

The problem with Mega (and all free hosting I've tried so far) is that they make the user go to their site instead of just clicking on the link to start the DL right away. I guess that's the price you pay for "free" though. Oh well.

EDIT: Holy cow man you are a genius. Why didn't I think to make the moon a separate object . Also that night sky is sweet.
                    Last edited by gregdumb; 11-14-2014, 02:23 PM.
                    Fully dynamic Time of Day System blueprint: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...e-of-Day-Setup Download it for free now!

Comment

Hey Gregdumb,

Sorry I haven't been back on the forums for a while. We have finally released some footage of Submerged that used your Skydome setup as a starting point, you can check it out on IGN here! http://au.ign.com/videos/2014/11/30/...-gameplay-demo

Whats the easiest way to package up our version for others to download? Just save all the assets into a folder and zip it? Or is there some more clever way to extract all the bits? We have multiple curves and things the blueprint needs to reference.

AJ
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by UppercutAJ View Post
                        Hey Gregdumb,

Sorry I haven't been back on the forums for a while. We have finally released some footage of Submerged that used your Skydome setup as a starting point, you can check it out on IGN here! http://au.ign.com/videos/2014/11/30/...-gameplay-demo

Whats the easiest way to package up our version for others to download? Just save all the assets into a folder and zip it? Or is there some more clever way to extract all the bits? We have multiple curves and things the blueprint needs to reference.

AJ
                        AJ, the best way would be to copy the systems in question into a basic project (using the editor's built-in capability to migrate assets between projects, which I'm sure you're familiar with) and then zip and distribute that. That way we can copy it out of said project and into our own project easily. I know of no other way to distribute assets with their relative linkages intact.
                        Last edited by kzoink; 12-12-2014, 06:28 AM.

View Diverted on Indie DB

Comment

Originally posted by UppercutAJ View Post
                          Hey Gregdumb,

.... We have finally released some footage of Submerged that used your Skydome setup as a starting point, you can check it out on IGN here! http://au.ign.com/videos/2014/11/30/...-gameplay-demo
                          Hey AJ your game looks awesome but I have to say that climb up animation is balls. Donkey balls in fact. Why does she do a headstand every time she climbs onto a ledge? It looks awful and mars an otherwise gorgeous looking game!
                          -TorQueMoD
                          www.torquemod.com

Comment

Hey guys,

Is this project still alive? Is there anywhere we can download the latest version?
                            I would love to contribute to this project. I have mainly artistic skills, not so much in the coding part :/

But I would love to help make the system more beautiful with different cloudscapes, weather types, stars etc... by creating new materials for the sky.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas De Ro View Post
                              Hey guys,

Is this project still alive? Is there anywhere we can download the latest version?
                              I would love to contribute to this project. I have mainly artistic skills, not so much in the coding part :/

But I would love to help make the system more beautiful with different cloudscapes, weather types, stars etc... by creating new materials for the sky.
                              The project kind of died because I got really busy with school and work, but now that the summer is coming up I'll try to work on it. My lack of material and art knowledge was a bit of an obstacle, but I'll try to get what I already had polished up for the latest version.

Comment

Hi there,
                                1st of all great achievement here. Thank you very much.
                                I am working on some Archviz stuff and I would like to use the Blueprint.
                                What I am currently aiming for is to change the Day of time via a button or menu. However I have not been really successfull yet . As I am a total noob when it comes to Unreal I have been digging through the tutorials. So basically I want to change the DefaultHour Value in the BP_DayCycle_SkyDome ( I think). So I referenced BP_DayCycle_SkyDome in the LevelBlueprint and cast the thing to the Player.

Name:	levelblueprint.jpg
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	1076370
                                In my Player Blueprint I created a public Variable of the type "BP DayCycle Sky Dome" and called it "TargetBlueprint" (see I'm trying to follow the tutorial ). I then created an inputaction which shall change the default value ( I think here is the problem...) and specified the instance in my Player BP.

Name:	playerblueprint.jpg
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	1076373

Name:	specifyinstance.jpg
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	1076375
                                However when I press the InputAction nothing happens. And I am also not sure how to debug this properly.
                                Again I am a noob but any help would be very appreciated.

Thx

Comment

Working...
                                X