Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mannequin Compatible Animations and Meshes! - Blender to UE4 - Free Addon - Mr Mannequins Tools 1.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[TOOL] Mannequin Compatible Animations and Meshes! - Blender to UE4 - Free Addon - Mr Mannequins Tools 1.1

Blendered, Rendered and imported to UE4
    Blendered, Rendered and imported to UE4!

Mr Mannequins Tools (v 1.1) - first major update of the add-on for Blender 2.8 that gives the ability to export animations and weighted meshes that are directly compatible with the third person mannequin without re-targeting anything in unreal engine! A couple of bugs have been fixed and whole bunch of new features have been added!

Now contains:
    • an animation ready mannequin rig with IK and other various rigging features
    • an animation ready first person gun rig (more rigging features coming soon)
    • an accurate Blender version of the mannequin and gun materials
    • all mannequin and gun mesh LODs
    • a basic pose interface with some useful rigging options
    • a 90% accurate animation import and conversion script (still working on the performance heavy 100% version)
    • the mother of all FBX export scripts
    This is quite a big update and there are bound to be a few bugs and issues but everything is working pretty well here!

Plenty more to come including advanced mutilation rigging options, a female mannequin amongst other meshes, an improved pose mode interface and moar options for everything
    Here's the user guide video for v 1.0:

Here's a compatibility explanation:

Here's the user guide for v 1.1:

You can download the add-on for free from Gumroad (donate if you feel generous and/or want me to keep it updated!)

https://gum.co/MrMannequinsTools

Here's the Github repository for the Python (i'm new to Github so it might take me a while to figure out how it all works if people put forward improvements/changes)

https://github.com/Jim-Kroovy/Mr-Mannequins-Tools

Come join the Discord chat! (let me know if the link stops working!)

https://discord.gg/wkPZJaH

I've just launched a Patreon! (will start producing exclusive content soon!)

https://www.patreon.com/JimKroovy

aaaand you can follow/get hold of me here if you feel like it

https://twitter.com/JimKroovy

https://www.facebook.com/JimKroovy/

Feedback much appreciated, suggestions for updates would be lovely!

I have had confirmation that this works on a couple of different flavours of Linux... still no idea about Apple operating systems.

If you have errors or issues with this add-on then i will need screenshots and details to fix them!
    User Guide

Installation:
    Download (Just offer 0 if you aren't donating)
    Open Blender
    Go to Edit\Preferences\Add-ons and click "Install..."
    Select the .zip you just downloaded and click "Install Add-on From File..."
    Then tick the box to the right of the add-ons entry

Updating:
    Download (Just offer 0 if you aren't donating)
    Open Blender
    Go to Edit\Preferences\Add-ons find Mr Mannequins Tools and "Remove" the old version before installing the most recent version

Loading the defaults:
    Make sure you have set your desired unit scale as anything that gets loaded or exported will be scaled to fit it
    In the toolbar next to the 3D viewport open the "Mr Mannequins Tools" panel
    Then in the "Stash" panel select a "Rig" to load and click "Load Rig"
    Making sure the loaded "Rig" is selected in "Object Mode" in the "Stash" panel select a "Mesh" to load and click "Load Mesh"
    (Set "Auto-load Materials" to True if you don't want to load and assign them manually and "Parent to Active" does what it says on the tin)
    ("Apply Scale" applies the scaling calculated on loading to the object, generally this should be left True but the option to not apply it is there just in case)

Exporting animations: (Your .blend must of been saved at least once before you can export anything!)
    Make sure you have the armature selected in "Object Mode"
    In the "Export/Import" panel of "Mr Mannequins Tools" set "Export Animations" to True
    Set the "Animation Export Folder" you wish to export to
    Setting "Batch Export Animations" to True will result in all actions that the armature can use in the .blend file being exported to seperate .FBXs
    If not batch exporting only the active action on the selected armature will be exported.
    ("Force Start/End Keyframes" may solve end frame inaccuracies and sometimes the "No Animation Track" error once imported to UE4)

Exporting meshes: (Your .blend must of been saved at least once before you can export anything!)
    In "Object Mode" select the meshes you wish to export then select the rig that those meshes have "Armature" modifiers to
    In the "Export/Import" panel of "Mr Mannequins Tools" set "Export Meshes" to True
    Set the "Mesh Export Folder" you wish to export to
    Setting "Batch Export Meshes" to True will result in all selected meshes being exported to seperate .FBXs
    If not batch exporting all selected meshes will be exported into the same .FBX
    ("Apply Modifiers" is up to you but setting it True will stop shape keys being exported")

Importing animations: (Your .blend must of been saved at least once before you can import anything! Currently only imports animations based on the mannequins skeleton that have been exported from UE4!)
    Make sure you have the armature you wish to convert the animations on selected
    Be certain you have set your desired FPS setting as the length of the imported animations will be scaled to fit it
    In the "Export/Import" panel of "Mr Mannequins Tools" set "Import Animations" to True
    Select the folder where you have exported your animations from UE4
    Setting "Batch Import Animations" to true will result in all animations in the folder being imported
    If not batch importing a drop down of the file names will appear for you to choose which animation to import
    ("Convert Root Motion" will force all the animation data on the import animations armature to be applied to the root bone)
    ("Pre Scale Keyframes" will scale the imported animations length before converting it, if False the animations length gets scaled after converting it)
    ("Key Controls" keyframes the relevant pose control options on the first frame of the animation, if false the options still get set for import but don't get keyed)

Character Stashing: (There are still a few bugs/issues with customs stashes but it works great for the default armatures, meshes and materials)
    Choose a name for the folder you wish to create
    Then select the location for it
    Click "Add Stash" and a drop down menu should appear (If a stash folder already exists then that folder gets assigned instead)
    In "Object Mode" select the meshes you want to save for later then select the rig they have armature modifiers to (These limitations will be needed in future)
    Extra panels should of appeared underneath the "Load Mesh" and "Load Material" buttons with some options for saving your character

The "Overwrite" options will cause anything saved with the same name in the current "Stash" to be overwritten, if false nothing gets saved if it already exists
    "Pack Images" packs any images the material uses into the saved file (so you don't have to fix up texture filepaths when loading)
    "Auto-save Materials" will cause any materials used by the selected meshes to be saved to the current "Stash"

Once you have chosen your options click "Stash Meshes" to save the selected meshes to the current "Stash"
    Now you should be able to see meshes/materials in the same drop downs as the defaults and be able to load them just the same

Clicking "Remove Mesh" or "Remove Material" will delete the selected mesh/material from the current stash and your PC
    (you can't remove the default ones though)

Clicking "Remove Stash" will only remove the current "Stash" folder from the add-on memory, to remove it from your computer you will probably have to delete it externally. The add-on will try to delete it from your PC but if it cant it just removes it from the add-on. Maybe it will work for you, who knows!

Deleting a "Stash" folder externally without removing it from the add-on will result in the add-on getting rid of it itself.

I have crashed once or twice when loading custom meshes from custom "Stash" folders, when i re-opened the .blend everything had loaded as expected. I am currently unable to recreate this bug so i am still diagnosing the cause, i have a feeling it might be to do with what's selected in "Object Mode" but i'm not sure.
    Bugs: (v 1.1)

Current:

A-pose on a frame once imported: (Fix coming soon!) I managed to mess up fixing this bug from v 1.0 i made the fix condition wrong, if the current frame is at the start or end frame of the animation when you hit export that frame will become the A-pose. Thanks for noticing gtnardy from Github!

(Workaround: Same as before set your current frame somewhere outside your animation frame range before clicking export)

Utf-8 error when loading from default stashes: (Unsolved!) So... Installing the add-on on a user of your computer with a special character in the name (eg: à) will cause a utf-8 de-coding error if you try to load anything. I am unsure how to fix this as the add-on requires the file path to the add-ons installation folder which is, by default on windows, in "C:\Users\[InsertName]\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\[InsertVersion]\scripts\addons\MrMannequinsTools"

(Workarounds: Try changing your Blender add-ons directory in the preferences, create/use a different user on your PC that does not have any special characters in it's name)

CENSOR_1337s steps for changing add-ons directory.

Spoiler

Solved:

Offset FK digit option trying to process a clavicle bone of all things: (Fixed in v 1.1) Setting the digit rig option of Offset FK did not work, it got halfway through the set up function and bug out trying to process a bone that it shouldn't. Thanks for spotting this Tom!

Importing animations with extra bones stops the process finishing: (Fixed in v 1.1) When importing animations that contain extra bones than just the mannequins default will cause the clean up process of import function to fail, super easy to fix. Thanks for finding this CENSOR!

Disappearing Secondary Armatures: (Fixed in v 1.1) Loading a second mannequin mesh after loading a second mannequin armature removes the second armature and set's the second meshes armature modifier to the first armature. Thank you for finding this YouTube user Milan!

(Workaround: just load the meshes you want with the first armature then duplicate them manually (Shift+D) after loading a second armature and set the duplicated meshes armature modifier to target the second armature)

A-pose on a frame once imported: (Fixed in v 1.1) For some reason if the frame is not set to a frame that is not within the frame range of the animation, when you hit export whatever frame you were on gets set to the rest pose in the animation. Thank you for finding this Twitter user Anny!

(Workaround: Set your current frame somewhere outside your animation frame range before clicking export)
    Updates: (I may add, move, change or cancel any plans at any time and i'll try to keep this section up to date)

Currently Working On:

Version 1.2: (Between: 1st/December/2019 - 1st/January/2020)
    • System:
      • Pose interface (improved details)
      • Export compatibility for any Blender rig (should fix any socket scale issues for any Blender rig, eg: cars, chests, doors etc) - Done!
      • Basic armature re-target system - Done!
      • First person gun attachment option
      • Combined LOD loading, saving and export? (might not have time to get this done we'll see)
    • Rigs:
      • Female Mannequin Armature (with "bouncy" option)
    • Meshes:
      • Female Mannequin Mesh - Done!
    • Materials:
      • Female Mannequin Material - Done!
    Future Updates:

Version 1.3: (Between: 1st/February/2020 - 1st/March/2020)
    • System:
      • Character scaling?
      • Animation stashing?
      • Animation generator?
      • Armature stashing?
      • IK offset from FK?
    • Rigs:
      • Humanoid Rigs?
    • Meshes:
      • Humanoid Meshes?
    • Materials:
      • Humanoid Material?
    Last edited by Jim Kroovy; 11-17-2019, 04:57 AM.

Almost got the script done for animation import! default third person run imported and working on my rig in Blender! Check it out! Only a few things left to fix

Comment

Hey this is pretty cool!

Comment

HeadClot Thank you! i'm currently editing together a video that goes into more detail about how the mannequin compatibility actually works! If you're interested i should have it uploaded later or tomorrow. I worked really hard on this, and i have many big plans for it

EDIT: Here's the explanation video!
        Last edited by Jim Kroovy; 09-11-2019, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Idk if you ever worked with the 3ds max biped rig but when you animate with the biped rig the rig is full fk but at the same time is ik too meaning you pose with fk and adjust with ik. Is your rig able to do this without the need of going to some settings and manually fk ik switch?

Comment

dandezign I've done some work with 3DS max (i dont get on with it very well) but i do have a method of doing almost as you mentioned as well as a method of switching manually, i just haven't implemented them on this rig yet (My method of IK with FK both enabled at the same time kind of works in reverse to what you described so... you would pose with IK then adjust with FK, i'd like to try and have it work both ways though so it's something i've been trying to do in Blender)

EDIT: I did have the pose with FK then adjust with IK system very nearly figured out, but i stopped working on it as i'm not sure if it's something Blender users would like as many people i've spoken too are used to using a manual switch! What do you think? Should i keep working on it?
            Last edited by Jim Kroovy; 09-11-2019, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Jim Kroovy Yeah you should and the reason why I like to pose in fk and adjust with ik is to have the fk rotations because posing with ik you have to do a lot of in-between poses and thats just time consuming.

I've been wanting something similar to the biped control rig from 3ds max with just the ability to not have to manually switch between fk and ik in blender and still keep the fk rotations, I hope you understand what I'm trying to say cause i feel like I'm not using the right terms here. Thank you for this amazing plugin.
              Last edited by dandezign; 09-12-2019, 07:37 AM.

Comment

dandezign alrighty, i can't promise it will be in the next update in a few weeks but perhaps the one afterwards

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Kroovy View Post
                  dandezign alrighty, i can't promise it will be in the next update in a few weeks but perhaps the one afterwards
                  Awesome thank you so much.
                  Last edited by dandezign; 09-13-2019, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Thanks a lot for this, this will be very handy for prototyping when you have lack of animation. I kept hitting the export button to try to export my first animation, but it wouldn't work. Took me a while to figure out that I needed to save my blender file to get it to work. :P Just a warning to the rest of you, if it won't export your animation, just save the blender scene first

Comment

ThatLittleSpider I think one of the first things i said in the covering video was that you had to save your .blend file first BUT i do appear to have missed it out from the "User Guide" above in the post! I'll be sure to put it in there soon!

I plan to make add on screen notification windows for all my error messages in the next update so that should hopefully help a lot too.

If anyone has any problems with anything then it would be great idea to check the console window... i've set up most of my error messages to print there until i finalise them and add in the warning messages

Comment

Haha, guess it is my own fault for not watching the video.. Typical me, I am the kind of person that just try things on my own before trying to find a solution. :P I am not an expert in blender either, trying to convert from 3dsmax to blender these days. Thanks for the tool, its awesome.

Comment

Blender > 3dsmax in my humble opinion Around 5-6 years ago i started learning animation in Maya and gave up within 6 months and downloaded Blender instead hahaha, i've never regretted it even once! Now it seems like everyone's making the switch!

You are very welcome, there's a whole lot more coming for this add-on too!

Please let me know if you have any Blender troubles and i'll see what i can do for you

Comment

I am pretty experienced in 3d packages in general. I always figure out the way to do it in blender by google. It is just the start that is hard, the general small stuff. where tools are located etc. If there is something I cant figure out I will ask you. I Appreciate the offer.

I did buy an awesome plugin, the pie menu editor. Which allows me to create my own pie menus. That made it a lot more similar to Maya's marking menus, which I loved. It speeds up the workflow, and I don't have to look for the tools.That gave me access to all the tools how I wanted them. Something I missed in max, tried different plugins for max, but they just didn't hold up and could not compare to marking menus or pie menus.

Thanks again.

Comment

Should have everything ready for the next update (v 1.1) within a week or so!

There's mannequin animation importing/converting from UE4 to blender, there's a good optional head tracking system... optional IK parenting... optional finger IK... IK vs FK switching and FK offset from IK options... the mechanism and deform bones visibility can be toggled too... aaaand i've fixed both the bugs that had been found by users

Just need to add the final tweaks and options to the animation import script then i'll get a covering video recorded and upload everything!

Should be uploading the scripts to github shortly after this update so others can help improve them! (some of my methods are a little hacky even if they are quite stable, and could be better)

Hope everyone who reads this has an awesome day!

Comment

Working...
                              X