Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easily Export/Import Animations and Meshes! - Blender to UE4 - Free Addon - Mr Mannequins Tools v1.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evenger Weight painting isn't too different, i can't really remember exactly how maya does it but in Blender you certainly have all the controls you need.

About 5 years ago tried to learn Maya for 6 months, didnt get on with it all, swapped to Blender and never looked back!

Blender seems to be able to do everything that Maya can it's just everything's more... modular, i guess. So in Blender you end up working through more steps for the same result (or just writing some Python that does it for you lol)

Blenders community is truly amazing and super helpful as well which is a big bonus + there's no crazy subscription price and thousands of useful add-ons!

Blender >= Maya everyday of the week in my humble opinion

Comment

I really like the Female Mannequin and I am really looking forward to the next update

Comment

HeadClot Next update should be within a week or so!

Blender 2.81 went live yesterday so i just need to finish off a few things and check for 2.81 compatibility and then i'll be uploading!

Comment

Update 1.2 should be ready very soon! It will have the female mannequin amongst a whole bunch of other new features

For update 1.3 i'll be working on...

A combined LOD save/load/export system coming in update 1.3 (figured it out today)

I will also be testing on exporting/importing physics assets and sockets (It can be done for static meshes but i'm not sure if it's possible with skeletal meshes, i'll be finding out!)

I'll also be working on mannequin themed template weapons (Rigged bow and arrows, static swords and rigged sheaths, a rigged pistol etc)

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Kroovy View Post
            Update 1.2 should be ready very soon! It will have the female mannequin amongst a whole bunch of other new features

For update 1.3 i'll be working on...

A combined LOD save/load/export system coming in update 1.3 (figured it out today)

I will also be testing on exporting/importing physics assets and sockets (It can be done for static meshes but i'm not sure if it's possible with skeletal meshes, i'll be finding out!)

I'll also be working on mannequin themed template weapons (Rigged bow and arrows, static swords and rigged sheaths, a rigged pistol etc)

Looking forward to it!

WIP Thread

Comment

I have been on a journey of discovery with unreal development; animation has been a particularly painful but necessary deviation from my comfort zone. This add-on appears to be the best option I've seen to date (both quality and ease of use) for getting a properly rigged UE4 mannequin into Blender that can be used with the animation starter pack animations; fantastic work!

Now that you are nice and buttered up, :P I have a problem that I'm hoping has a simple (and more importantly painless) solution.

After importing all the animations the right arm appears to be out or socket on all animations. left arm and all other aspects seem to be perfectly fine...any ideas? I did skim though all the reply's here to be sure it wasn't already addressed; if it was and I missed it I apologize.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Unhappy_Shoulder.PNG
Views:	451
Size:	508.9 KB
ID:	1693542

Comment

HorizontalTol Looks like the classic twist bone location problem, most of the default UE4 animations and many of the marketplace ones seem to have this issue where the some of the twist bones have location keyframes that don't show up in UE4 because the skeleton is set to only process location keys on the pelvis and root and default IK bones, you need to open up the other armature layers in Blender and clear the location keyframes on any bones with this problem.

So from that picture it looks like you need to:
                1) Open up all 4 of the first armature layers,
                2) Select the "CB_upperarm_twist_r" bone,
                3) Right click on it's location numbers and select "Clear All Keyframes",
                4) Press Alt + G to also clear it's left over current location.

I plan to implement a system in the future for the user to select which bones do or do not take location keyframes on animation import, a very basic version of this will be in update 1.2
                Last edited by Jim Kroovy; 12-03-2019, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Just uploaded update 1.2! You can now play with the female mannequin and test out the re-targeting system!

Don't miss the live stream tomorrow!

Comment

Hi!

I am attempting to learn blender/your tool to retarget one of Quang's female models to the Mannequin so I can use Frank's weapon animations with her. I believe I have managed to follow your video's process well enough, but there's still a lot of issues I'm hoping you can at least bulletpoint me towards addressing. I realize you get a lot of questions but I have spent weeks trying to find information on this and have come up completely blank.

Most importantly, the hands are completely out of position no matter what settings I change in retargeting or how much I play around with your plugin. The net result is say, for the Katana, the hands are totally out of sync with the sword, the rotations are all off, etc. This screenshot is a pretty good representation of the problem. Just about everything is wrong, from the weapon orientation to the two hands' relative positions to each other. We think the issue may stem from the clavicle/shoulder bones being different but we really just don't know enough about the subject matter to really even understand why this is happening at all. In your 1.2 video you cover some of Quang's assets but unfortunately don't go into this as far as I can tell.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard2423432432423423.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	1695787

Am I looking at having to re-weight/re-rig the entire mesh by hand or is there something really simple that has escaped through the cracks?

Comment

IskatuMesk There's a few things that could be going on here:

1) My animation import isn't as good as it could be, i've figured out a bunch of stuff while fixing the export side of it and it's going to be improved a lot soon.

2) You might need to remove the location keyframes from everything except the pelvis and root from the Blender armature (this is a common problem)

3) Also you might need to set the influence of the Copy Rotation constraint on "CB_spine_02" to 0.0

I don't think you will need to re-weight anything though, it just looks like there is animation data being imported into Blender by my add-on that you don't want.

A workaround i would try is to re-target the weapon animation onto Quangs human in UE4 then export/import that retargeted version with my add-on onto Quangs armature in Blender

Comment

To be more clear, I'm retargeting the animations from the mannequin inside ue4 only at the moment. What I'm doing is retargeting the skeletal mesh in Blender with your plugin and then retargeting the mannequin with the animations to that inside ue4 - it seems to fix quite a bit of deformation I otherwise get by only retargeting in ue4 alone, but the hands don't get fixed. Do I need to also process animations in Blender for this to work?

/edit

Ah yes, importing the animations gives me the same misaligned hands. I guess I'd need to fix every single animation manually?
                        Last edited by IskatuMesk; 12-09-2019, 07:51 AM.

Comment

IskatuMesk Sorry i only just saw your reply, i've been really busy, i guess you might need to do some manual fixing, hopefully my new import methods coming in update 1.3 will help with a lot of animation issues

Comment

Work on the #UE4 mannequins rigged bow and arrow in #Blender is coming along really well and i've got my head around how to vastly improve the re-targeting system

Will be #livestreaming #development later today! #Blender3d #UnrealEngine #GameDev #Animation #IndieDev

Comment

I'm probably doing something wrong here as I am new to Blender, hailing from 3ds Max. I'm just trying to put together some basic animations to familiarize myself with Blender - however, when it comes to doing anything with the mannequin's fingers - things go bonkers.

I can not for the life of me rotate them even remotely as to how I want it. There is this blue curve which kind of shows how the finger would bend realistically which is cool and all - but whenever I try and rotate the fingers to for example close his palm - the just spin wildly out of control, twisting sideways and doing random stuff.

How exactly am I supposed to manipulate the fingers "correctly"?

Comment

Dealman Sounds like you are using the finger IK rig option? The control bone shouldn't be rotated to make the finger chain bend but scaled instead, and the fingers IK stiffness and limits are pretty tight so you could also try messing around with those

Edit: So for the finger IK the process is - Scale control bone to get desired bend on finger, Rotate bent finger as close to position as possible using the control bone, Tweak finger bones themselves individually if required.

I'd also suggest mostly rotating the control bone on it's local Z axis to avoid jumping around within the IK chain.
                                Last edited by Jim Kroovy; 01-18-2020, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X