Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blender to UE4 - Easily Export/Import Animations and Meshes! - Free Addon - Mr Mannequins Tools v1.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jim Kroovy View Post
    Is anybody else getting utf-8 errors from the __init__.py? I've got someone that's getting this error and i can't replicate it.

EDIT: This error is caused by the users names having special characters (example: à)

I will continue looking for a fix but i'm not sure there's really much i can do as the add-on needs the path to load the rigs, meshes and materials from.

Perhaps a workaround would be to change Blenders add-on location before installing?
    How to fix UTF8 Error when loading (Utf-8 error when loading ) [Before our Developers fixed it on python source]
    1. Run Blender as Administrator (If not you will have an error later on)
    2. Remove the addons if you have installed it before
    3. Go to Edit > Preferences > File Paths > Scripts (Choses the folder that not contain specials character [ Ex."D:\BlenderAddons" ])
    4. Go to Edit > Preferences > Add-ons > Install the addon Select the addon zip file
    5. Change Target Path on the left side on Install Add-on from file menu change [Default to User Prefs]
    6. Back to the 3D viewport and test, it is it working (For me, yes it's working)
    7. Enjoy

Comment

Just set the rough plans for the next update (see the "Updates" section in the original post) and i've started work on a script to make any Blender built armature compatible with my export script (should fix any socket rotation/scale issues for any Blender rig, eg: cars, chests, doors etc)

Comment

Thanks again for this

Comment

Just posted the most recent version of MMT (1.1.2) on Patreon for teh patrons to bug check. It has the export script unlocked to work with any armature/meshes and an optional button to add the bones and constraints needed to make that custom rig use UE4 bone rotations (X and Y axes swapped) if you want, though using default armature rotations should have no impact to anything other than compatibility with the same skeletons in UE4 if that's where they came from.

Also fixed an issue where trying to import an fbx with a lowercase file extension wouldn't work. But that's kind of niche as the import script only works properly on animations export from the mannequin in UE4 and those get saved as ".FBX" by default.

Socket rotations are not actually an issue they simply use the same rotations as the bone so if you attach an actor to a bone socket then the actors Z axis will use the bones Z axis often cause a 90 degree rotation compensation. To solve it use world rotation instead of local.

Comment

Just about figured out two step re-targeting process!

The idea is you will import and/or click a retarget button on any armature that is not already the mannequin one, which sets a template mannequin armature up like this, then the user can tweak things before clicking an apply button to set everything into place and add in all my IK chains and control bones and constraints.

The purple bones are ones that user will likely need to rotate into position (they are end bones so i don't have a location to set their tails too) and the yellow bones are probably where they should be but can still be tweaked if needed.

(extra bones do get created as well but i've hidden them so you can see what's going on)

What do you think?

Comment

This is what I get. All bones are offset. Is it right ?
              blender 2.8 Mac OSX
              Attached Files

Comment

rexy729 Yes that is correct, those offset bones are only the pole targets, if you open the other armature layers you can see the rest of the bones, the last two layers on the right are the compatibility bones and should not be edited.

EDIT: You probably shouldn't edit the pink gizmo bones either unless you are confident with rigging
                Last edited by Jim Kroovy; 11-06-2019, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Jim Kroovy Got it. Pole is like a limit.

Comment

Just about figured out two step re-targeting process!

The idea is you will import and/or click a retarget button on any armature that is not already the mannequin one, which sets a template mannequin armature up like this, then the user can tweak things before clicking an apply button to set everything into place and add in all my IK chains and control bones and constraints.

The purple bones are ones that user will likely need to rotate into position (they are end bones so i don't have a location to set their tails too) and the yellow bones are probably where they should be but can still be tweaked if needed.

(extra bones do get created as well but i've hidden them so you can see what's going on)

What do you think?
                    I like this

Does this do skin weighting as well?

Comment

HeadClot Thank you! I've come leaps and bounds with it over the past few days, it's nearly ready to be tested by my patrons on Patreon

It does not do weighting at the moment though, i wanted to get the armature side of things figured out before i started on deformation weights, there's 3 or 4 different ways to calculate/transfer weights around and i'm not sure which would be the best method to start with.

Comment

Female mannequin nearly ready! Just the hands left to feminise and the logo to figure out and that's the first draft ready for polishing... she's really starting to look the part! Anybody got some feedback?

Comment

Mrs Mannequin (aka "Femmequin") weighted rigged and ready for action, just need to fix some normals and UV's and she's finished, thanks for the feedback everyone who gave it!

Comment

HeadClot Thank you! I've come leaps and bounds with it over the past few days, it's nearly ready to be tested by my patrons on Patreon

It does not do weighting at the moment though, i wanted to get the armature side of things figured out before i started on deformation weights, there's 3 or 4 different ways to calculate/transfer weights around and i'm not sure which would be the best method to start with.
                            What about doing skin weights manually?

Comment

Evenger I would advise everyone to weight paint manually it's the best way to go, but loads of people are asking me about automatic weight painting for custom meshes so i'm looking into it.

Fact is there is no correct and totally accurate way to auto-weight any mesh as there are too many niche issues around points of rotation and how the mesh must deform... but there are methods that can get pretty close

Comment

Evenger I would advise everyone to weight paint manually it's the best way to go, but loads of people are asking me about automatic weight painting for custom meshes so i'm looking into it.

Fact is there is no correct and totally accurate way to auto-weight any mesh as there are too many niche issues around points of rotation and how the mesh must deform... but there are methods that can get pretty close
                                That would be pretty sweet. I struggle with weight paints in Maya and I'm not sure if Blender is any better or if I just need to get better at it. I really hope with this I can say goodbye to Maya completely.

Comment

Working...
                                X