Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Randomized tiling function, eliminate repeating patterns in your textures!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also had a D3DCompile error, but i managed to fix it by replacing HLSL hash function with material nodes. I'm guessing the problem of original function is that it's getting Sin of Float2 which is not possible in Unreal for some reason. You can check it by doing simple test:

Click image for larger version

Name:	randtiling01.png
Views:	381
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	1709923

So i created this material function which is getting Sin before appending vector and replaced calls to Hash in TileFunction (its 3 of them in total). Now i don't have the error.

Name:	randtiling02.png
Views:	370
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	1709924

I hope i didn't mess matrix multiplication because i'm not really good in math

Btw, it's recommended by Epic to always try using material graphs instead of custom expressions, because it's better for performance and stability.

Comment

Originally posted by June Paik View Post
      So i created this material function which is getting Sin before appending vector and replaced calls to Hash in TileFunction (its 3 of them in total). Now i don't have the error.
      Holy moly. Thank you so much for this! This did the trick! I implemented this, and got my landscape mat to compile using RVT. Awesome stuff. Goodbye texture tiling

Comment

Pack height into B channel of normal and derive Z

Comment

This looks really useful. It's a shame my UE material experience is ****. Thanks for sharing and am looking forward to being able to understand it one day.

Comment

Is it possible to have the material also working on the z axis ? Because actually it's very good for flat landscape but i would like to also use it with meshes.

Name:	Screenshot.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	578.5 KB
ID:	1733345

Comment

Working...
            X