Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by FrancescoDeso View Post
    Being able to write C# scripts in a way this well integrated with the Unreal system would allow to prototype quite fast!
    The best part is the almost instantly compiled code, with SSD I get around 2 seconds to recompile the C# dll, generate pins and etc.

The two major problems I have with this is:

1) AOT compilation, I have no idea how that would work within Unreal. Mobiles and Consoles do not allow JIT code.

2) Marshalling user-created blueprint structs that C# don't know anything about. This is a real hard problem.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by BrUnO XaVIeR View Post
    After 2 trillion crashes... I got a C# compiler working within Unreal Editor, with error reports, compiler failures and etc:

and... C# properties declared on class generate pins on blueprint node + default values!

There's a lot of things that are still a mystery though... very experimental thing, this "hello world" trial was almost impossible LOL
    This is truly remarkable! Being able to write C# scripts in a way this well integrated with the Unreal system would allow to prototype quite fast!

Can't wait to see more

Leave a comment:

• replied
    After 2 trillion crashes... I got a C# compiler working within Unreal Editor, with error reports, compiler failures and etc:

and... C# properties declared on class generate pins on blueprint node + default values!

There's a lot of things that are still a mystery though... very experimental thing, this "hello world" trial was almost impossible LOL

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by KamykerBeatAim View Post

What is this wizardy :O? Could we try?
    I am working on a compiler to make it understand Unreal Blueprint's variables and generate input pins on the node from a C# class.
    For now it's not safe to use it on any project.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Interesting case study... a custom C# compiler running (compiled) code on MagicNodes within the Unreal Editor
    To run the node as an async task just have to give C# class a little 'Async' attribute
    (can run C# scripts as normal UFunctions or Async threads):

What is this wizardy :O? Could we try?
    Last edited by KamykerBeatAim; 11-15-2020, 09:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Interesting case study... a custom C# compiler running (compiled) code on MagicNodes within the Unreal Editor
    To run the node as an async task just have to give C# class a little 'Async' attribute
    (can run C# scripts as normal UFunctions or Async threads):

Last edited by BrUnO XaVIeR; 11-06-2020, 01:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    FrancescoDeso Also, I believe 'scripting' is a better option for that.
    I am investigating, studying, learning a viable avenue to make it happen instead of go full c++ there. I hope what I'm researching works well with that, still got no concrete results

Yet again, thank you for the fast response!

Yeah, it's true, what I wanted to do was kind of a "hack". Basically I had a UMG widget with a list and wanted to make a C++ "script" to fill it with stuff in a few lines of code, instead of making LOTS of boilerplate spaghetti blueprint nodes. I wanted to skip the bae C++ class, but apparently there is no way to avoid it!

Seeing your work, I'm sure you'll find very clever solutions for these kind of problems in the future Let me tell you again that your plugin is amazing!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    FrancescoDeso Also, I believe 'scripting' is a better option for that.
    I am investigating, studying, learning a viable avenue to make it happen instead of go full c++ there. I hope what I'm researching works well with that, still got no concrete results

Leave a comment:

• replied

Thank you for the fast response!

That's true about the TSubClassOf! But, what if I want to pass an instance of the Blueprint class, in order to access functions/variables defined in the Blueprint class?

I'm guessing that it can be only be done only with reflection, right?
    Yes, BP object can only be accessed from C++ if you use the reflection system.
    I want to create a default API for that, I just too chaotic situation right now and can never start it.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Yes you can use

TSubclassOf<someClass> myClassPin

as input to pass a BP class to c++ code.
    Thank you for the fast response!

That's true about the TSubClassOf! But, what if I want to pass an instance of the Blueprint class, in order to access functions/variables defined in the Blueprint class?

I'm guessing that it can be only be done only with reflection, right?
    Last edited by FrancescoDeso; 07-20-2020, 03:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've got a question. Is it possible to pass as pin a Blueprint only class? Imagine that I've got a blueprint Actor, could I pass it in some way to a magic node?
    Yes you can use

TSubclassOf<someClass> myClassPin

as input to pass a BP class to c++ code.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    First of all, thanks a lot for this awesome plugin! Really, I didn't think it was possible to make something like this!

I've got a question. Is it possible to pass as pin a Blueprint only class? Imagine that I've got a blueprint Actor, could I pass it in some way to a magic node?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have been thinking about adding auto formatting to code, but half the people I asked said they like it other half said they hate auto formatted code.
    Tickbox for Auto-Format ON / OFF?

Everyone hates auto-formatted code, except when it just works. Then they forget its even there..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have been thinking about adding auto formatting to code, but half the people I asked said they like it other half said they hate auto formatted code.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    No, visual studio is at least 50 million lines of code.
    There's a ton of things to do to make code editor in Unreal smoother.. GUI for games is different matter.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X