MGC 'Magic Nodes'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I'm submitting another update (for Unreal 4.25) where the node's code editor now has an "incremental" unreal type scanner (searches for types while we type in editor without locking the editor), this way the "Build Database" process becomes less mandatory when using the node;

I'm also moving the development repository entirely to Unreal 4.25 because it's not possible for me to keep up with all the engine internal changes while building the plugin for older and newer architectures at same time, this single change already took me entire last sunday because of the new "gotchas" lol.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just submitted v0.4.0 containing further improvements to search tools and a few low level changes for external expansions.
    This is going to be the last update for some time, while I prepare to start pushing more complex stuff through the expansion api added (external modules that can do fancy stuff).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have unified all the compilation process to one click and added a compile button to the asset toolbar as well.
    I also want to chain into it an auto fresh of node pins after compile without breaking existing pin connections, but that science I haven't mastered yet..

(there's no need to click both node then toolbar compiler button anymore, button do the whole thing now):

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Fixed bugs on search tool and added a global async search in files tool (searchs only keywords within source code files):

Last edited by BrUnO XaVIeR; 04-24-2020, 06:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I am trying to implement the "member context box" into the off-node code editor.
    I wrote that thing so long ago that I have no clue what those markup prefixes mean anymore, but it's almost working ^_^

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Double clicking an item from engine's source tree, a tab will open with source in read-only mode..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Today's task... off-node toolbar tools

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I had to do this, there was no way to escape...
    The little button will kick background threads to update auto-complete data without blocking the Editor.
    This way we can work while it builds the data without causing bad editor performance:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by BrUnO XaVIeR View Post
    These are two things (amongst others) in the Todo list before investigating threaded scans.

Right now I do a one-off large scan at boot time (around 73%) and never update again until an Editor reboot.
    There might be other opinions but I would rather have faster boot times than getting a word colored and an info which I can find on internet easily. However, if it was only on project creation (not every launch), I would definitely prefer having it.

From what I understand, you have already got it working. Then I think best option for now would be as you said, the option to toggle it on/off unless there are more important things you've planned.

Also, apparently there is a user with the name Todo

Leave a comment:

• replied
    These are two things (amongst others) in the Todo list before investigating threaded scans.

Right now I do a one-off large scan at boot time (around 73%) and never update again until an Editor reboot.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Will the scanning happen only on first launch of a new project or each time opening it? If latter is true, can't you just write all the info to a file in the project folder to prevent re-scan each time? Also what about new Enums created inside editor, will they get recognized or will a complete re-scan needed after each new added Enum?

I hope I'm not too far off on the technical side, since I have zero clue about how this is made

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I am facing a dilemma with Enums...
    I can add Unreal Enums to the auto complete system (if you see previous screenshot above you will see that they aren't recognised as enum types because I keep them out of scans for now), but if I add them there's a HUGE amount of enums in Unreal to scan and take type info from. The issue with that is when the Editor is booting you may experience a very long scan process; depending on your system specs can take more than 5 minutes at startup while the editor collects type info from each and all Uenums existing in the engine.

I don't know if I should add that... maybe keep it disabled, but with an option to activate it if you guys want it enabled?!
    I really don't want to deal with multithreaded code analysis, at least not for the upcoming months because reasons :3
    Basically this is as slow as waiting for Visual Studio to finish scanning a Unreal project..

Image below is type info triggered from EAccessLevel enum I was using as guinea pig:

Last edited by BrUnO XaVIeR; 04-11-2020, 03:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Have been working on a decent source tree viewer, for references when coding in-editor..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm done for now with the code editor expansion.
    Both in-node editor and in-asset editor implement the same "intellisense" algorithms now, I was reluctant to do this earlier because I knew it's a massive amount of code to maintain :s
    I've mitigated the need for duplicated code by creating generic base text editor classes..

I am submitting the update to Epic now, should also upload to GitHub this weeked and then keep researching ways to keep improvements coming in:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have been working on hundreds of little improvements to the code editor in the node, later I need to implement the new functionalities into the code editor in assets as well.
    Several problems have been fixed in the editor (auto indentation on Enter key press now works properly, etc), and I began implementation of a keyword suggestion popup;

I plan to release this new version this week (v0.3.0):

Leave a comment:

Working...
X