Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uefy 2.0 (Pro Edition) make Blender's rigify rigs compatible with UE4, also has a FREE version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tutorial for rigging prebuilt characters with Uefy 2.0

Full step by step guide on rigging a prebuilt character. We use a mixamo character here but with a few adjustments this should work with any bi-ped character (non-biped tutorials later).

The video explains how to create your own reusable character mapping. Unlike Uefy Script that had a fixed number of supported character types like MakeHuman, Fuse etc. Now you can easily create your own mappings. The auto roll tool works best with characters that are in a T-pose. it cuts down on the amount of time you need to spend on fixing rolls but it is still just a guess. You have to check and update the rolls if needed. Luckily this is a quick process as we still have the bone roll tool.

Pro Tip: If you are creating a mapping that will not be reused for other characters. Don't fill out the entire list. Just map the main skeleton bones and apply. Then use the Bone Rename Tool in extra tools to update the finger names. It is a lot easier and saves time.

Overall there are a number of small improvements, that put together saves a lot of time spent on each character. I had to run tests on the old Uefy Script after developing and working with Uefy 2.0 for a while, going back this becomes so apparent.

People upgrading from the old version will need to relearn some workflows but it is worth it.
    UE4 Tutorials for 3rd person Blueprint project from scratch: Youtube Channel
    Use Blender 2.8 to make UE4 compatible animations: Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Waves View Post
      Tutorial for rigging prebuilt characters with Uefy 2.0

Full step by step guide on rigging a prebuilt character. We use a mixamo character here but with a few adjustments this should work with any bi-ped character (non-biped tutorials later).

The video explains how to create your own reusable character mapping. Unlike Uefy Script that had a fixed number of supported character types like MakeHuman, Fuse etc. Now you can easily create your own mappings. The auto roll tool works best with characters that are in a T-pose. it cuts down on the amount of time you need to spend on fixing rolls but it is still just a guess. You have to check and update the rolls if needed. Luckily this is a quick process as we still have the bone roll tool.

Pro Tip: If you are creating a mapping that will not be reused for other characters. Don't fill out the entire list. Just map the main skeleton bones and apply. Then use the Bone Rename Tool in extra tools to update the finger names. It is a lot easier and saves time.

Overall there are a number of small improvements, that put together saves a lot of time spent on each character. I had to run tests on the old Uefy Script after developing and working with Uefy 2.0 for a while, going back this becomes so apparent.

People upgrading from the old version will need to relearn some workflows but it is worth it.
      What tool do you recommend for skinning a character built from scratch, please?
      Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/jamesmoore
      Sketchfab: https://sketchfab.com/James.Moore

Comment

In the viewport in Object mode you can do Shift + A -> Armatures -> Uefy Script -> Reference Skeleton -> Base Posing Skeleton to create a skeleton. It will already have correct names and rolls. Just move and rotate the bones into place in your mesh and weight paint them.

After that it is the same as following the above tutorial ( https://youtu.be/mg75kSkKkug ) instead of the mixamo character, you'd be rigging your own mesh.

Comment

Uefy 2.0.1 Released. This is a maintenance release, with a fix for one of the twist bones when exporting with UE Mannequin rolls.

Use your existing emailed download link to get the latest file. If there are any issues with the download send a reply to the email and I'll sort it out.

Comment

Hi, I just got Uefy but whenever I try to create a uefy skeleton, I get this error Click image for larger version

Name:	uefyBug.PNG
Views:	86
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	1799044

What should I do ?
            Thanks

Comment

I can add all the included skeletons to the scene without any issue on my end. You'll need to provide more context and details than that. What version of blender are you using and what steps did you take to see this?

Comment

I can add all the included skeletons to the scene without any issue on my end. You'll need to provide more context and details than that. What version of blender are you using and what steps did you take to see this?
                I can also confirm the exact error log trace as @oliwarrior

Code:
                Traceback (most recent call last):
                File "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\uefy\extra.py", line 623, in execute
                self.load_file(context, self.filename)
                File "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\uefy\extra.py", line 593, in load_file
                bpy.ops.text.run_script(override)
                File "A:\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.83\2.83\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py", line 199, in __call__
                ret = op_call(self.idname_py(), C_dict, kw, C_exec, C_undo)
                RuntimeError: Error: Python script failed, check the message in the system console

This error crops up as soon as I attempt to create the meta rig. I followed your tutorial multiple times with the same error. I am using Blender 2.8.3.4 and UEFY -2_0_1.

Comment

Still not able to replicate the error using Blender 2.83.4 and uefy 2.0.1, it is working for me. I will need to see the entire log not just the bottom portion and what message it says in the system console.

If someone is experiencing this error please contact me on pm with details if you can.
                  Last edited by Waves; 08-14-2020, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Is this the log that you need?

Code:
                    Read prefs: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\config\userpref.blend
                    found bundled python: A:\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.83\2.83\python
                    Info: Deleted 3 object(s)

FBX Import: start importing C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Desktop\UEFY\SK_Mannequin.FBX
                    FBX version: 7500
                    FBX import: Prepare...
                    Done (0.000000 sec)

FBX import: Templates...
                    Done (0.000000 sec)

FBX import: Nodes...
                    Done (0.000000 sec)

FBX import: Connections...
                    Done (0.000000 sec)

FBX import: Meshes...
                    Done (1.015625 sec)

FBX import: Materials & Textures...
                    Done (0.000000 sec)

FBX import: Cameras & Lamps...
                    Done (0.000000 sec)

FBX import: Objects & Armatures...
                    Done (0.078125 sec)

FBX import: ShapeKeys...
                    Done (0.000000 sec)

FBX import: Assign materials...
                    Done (0.000000 sec)

FBX import: Assign textures...
                    Done (0.000000 sec)

FBX import: Cycles z-offset workaround...
                    Done (0.000000 sec)

Done (1.171875 sec)

Import finished.
                    File "\mannequin_metarig_export.py", line 1178, in <module>
                    File "\mannequin_metarig_export.py", line 13, in create
                    AttributeError: 'Armature' object has no attribute 'rigify_colors'
                    Error: Python script failed, check the message in the system console
                    File "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\uefy\extra.py", line 623, in execute
                    File "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\uefy\extra.py", line 593, in load_file
                    File "A:\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.83\2.83\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py", line 199, in __call__
                    RuntimeError: Error: Python script failed, check the message in the system console

Error: Traceback (most recent call last):

Also I would like to add that the meta rig does appear in the hierarchy, but it is not in the view port.
                    Last edited by billnc; 08-14-2020, 08:34 AM. Reason: Added additional details at the bottom after the log.

Comment

Yes it is! Thank you for posting that.

So the trouble is that you do not have rigify addon enabled. Go to blender Edit -> Preferences -> Addons -> Search for Rigify and make sure it is enabled. While you are there also search for FBX and make sure that is enabled too.

Once you've done that there will not be any error.

Comment

That worked!. I forgot all about enabling rigify. What an awkward moment haha. I really appreciate your support and I love the plugin. It is truly a life saver.

Comment

Thank the ancient astronauts you exist what a timesaver. Great work bud. Turns out you were also the same guy whos videos i watched to learn walk sequences so I'm doubly grateful

When payday rolls around 30 pieces of silver latinum heading your way.

Favourite guy ever

Comment

I just went through the easy rigging tutorial and set up a mannequin rig. Now, I exported a mannequin animation from Unreal. How can I import this animation into the blender rig?

Comment

Blender 2.1 Released:

New Animation Editing and Pose Matching features.

The new Match Pose feature will let you create animation that can easily blend into existing marketplace animation set. In the past this had to be done by manually placing all the rigify controls. The new functions should save everyone a heap of time.

Additionally the 'Preprocess' functionality has been automated away. The addon will now do a preprocess and automatically correct issues, if any. This means you can now build the metarig in any order and it will always work. Great for an iterative workflow.

Uefy 2.1 is a free update. Use your existing emailed download link to get the latest file.

Comment

Blender 2.1 Released:

New Animation Editing and Pose Matching features.

The new Match Pose feature will let you create animation that can easily blend into existing marketplace animation set. In the past this had to be done by manually placing all the rigify controls. The new functions should save everyone a heap of time.

Additionally the 'Preprocess' functionality has been automated away. The addon will now do a preprocess and automatically correct issues, if any. This means you can now build the metarig in any order and it will always work. Great for an iterative workflow.

Uefy 2.1 is a free update. Use your existing emailed download link to get the latest file.
                                Do you know how I can import animations from UE4?

Comment

Working...
                                X