Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Etherlinker for UE4 - interact with Ethereum blockchain from Unreal Engine 4

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Also are you willing to add similar support for other coins? I am currently in need of support for EOS for example.
    - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
    BLOG: https://steemit.com/@thecastle

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by Castle View Post
      Do you know if there are any other devs out there making use of this tech right now?
      I'm bad at marketing, so I'm afraid not too many people know about this project. Sometimes people writing me with questions or bug reports via email, but I can't say for sure how many people are using it.

      Originally posted by Castle View Post
      Also are you willing to add similar support for other coins? I am currently in need of support for EOS for example.
      At this moment, I'm afraid, I don't have enough time for that. The situation can be changed if I will need that feature personally or if I will find funds to continue development.
      Marketplace content: Modular Vehicle Vol. 2 - Modular Sci Fi Office - Projectiles Pack - Research Center - Quest System - All Content

      Website | Youtube | Artstation

      Comment


        #18
        A lot of normies have absolutely zero idea what we are even talking about right now so the number of people actually using the tech must be super small. I am super bad at marketing myself actually

        Are you working on anything that is using this tech?
        What would be your price to work on an EOS skew, the lead scatter dev has mentioned multiple times about putting a sizable bounty out to get EOS working on the Unreal 4 engine.
        - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
        BLOG: https://steemit.com/@thecastle

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by Castle View Post
          Are you working on anything that is using this tech?
          What would be your price to work on an EOS skew, the lead scatter dev has mentioned multiple times about putting a sizable bounty out to get EOS working on the Unreal 4 engine.
          Right now I'm working on the new content for UE Marketplace (it was a year since I published the last project, so it's time to make something new). So currently I'm not using this project.

          As for the price - I don't know. I have zero knowledge about EOS, so I have to make a little research about it, find some java library to interact with EOS, integrate it to the server side, then update the plugin, add new examples, including support for multiplayer, VR, Mac OS, etc. It could take a couple of months of work of a single me. Then you can manipulate with average prices per hour of a java/UE4/C++ developer to calculate the average price of work. But as I said before, currently I'm a little busy, so if you need to add it immediately, you can hire somebody for this purpose on the side. It will add a couple of weeks of work since a new developer should familiarize himself with this project, but there is nothing too hard to add support of new cryptocurrencies.
          Marketplace content: Modular Vehicle Vol. 2 - Modular Sci Fi Office - Projectiles Pack - Research Center - Quest System - All Content

          Website | Youtube | Artstation

          Comment


            #20
            My timeline is going to be at least a few months but most likely more than that.
            Also the needed functionality is not as intense as the Ethereum plugin. The most I want to do is make it so you can log in with scatter(EOS metamask basically) and then run smart contracts directly. Though I think having the ability to see your coin/token balances and the results of the smart contract could be really useful.
            - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
            BLOG: https://steemit.com/@thecastle

            Comment


              #21
              UE 4.22 support has been added.
              Marketplace content: Modular Vehicle Vol. 2 - Modular Sci Fi Office - Projectiles Pack - Research Center - Quest System - All Content

              Website | Youtube | Artstation

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by Kelheor View Post
                UE 4.22 support has been added.
                Awesome!
                Its good to see this is still getting development attention.

                At the moment I have one issue I am not quite sure that is supported.
                Since I want to develop games that do not require a trusted third party to be involved the only way I know this can work is if I utilize some kind of checksum value that is passed to the smart contract. That way people are forced to play the game rather than just spam smart contract commands with bots. IE the client is the only thing that knows how to send the correct checksums that will not be rejected by the smart contracts.

                Do you have any kind of functionality setup to support this kind of setup? As far as I can tell its the bare bones minimum to do a game that really uses this kind of tech outside of forcing everyone to use dedicated servers ect.
                - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
                BLOG: https://steemit.com/@thecastle

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Castle View Post

                  Awesome!
                  Its good to see this is still getting development attention.

                  At the moment I have one issue I am not quite sure that is supported.
                  Since I want to develop games that do not require a trusted third party to be involved the only way I know this can work is if I utilize some kind of checksum value that is passed to the smart contract. That way people are forced to play the game rather than just spam smart contract commands with bots. IE the client is the only thing that knows how to send the correct checksums that will not be rejected by the smart contracts.

                  Do you have any kind of functionality setup to support this kind of setup? As far as I can tell its the bare bones minimum to do a game that really uses this kind of tech outside of forcing everyone to use dedicated servers ect.
                  Hello.
                  Sorry for the late response, I didn't see that you updated your message. No, I didn't implement that in smart contracts.
                  To be honest, I didn't even think about it, because buying virtual items/subscriptions, making donations, etc via third-party clients is not a huge problem. As for more unique operations with smart contracts - it depends on the project itself. I'm offering some basic protection for integration server itself to protect it from spam requests and from non-UE4 clients (client still can be faked though).
                  As for contract protection - I can't publish any unique key generators (something like unique promo codes system) for smart contracts via open source, because then any third-party can use the same method. If you only want to read values from the smart contract without a third party, then maybe you can constrain contract to work with only selected addresses (which will be yours) and process requests from UE4 client to the integration server and use your own wallets for such read-only operations.
                  Marketplace content: Modular Vehicle Vol. 2 - Modular Sci Fi Office - Projectiles Pack - Research Center - Quest System - All Content

                  Website | Youtube | Artstation

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by Kelheor View Post

                    Hello.
                    Sorry for the late response, I didn't see that you updated your message. No, I didn't implement that in smart contracts.
                    To be honest, I didn't even think about it, because buying virtual items/subscriptions, making donations, etc via third-party clients is not a huge problem. As for more unique operations with smart contracts - it depends on the project itself. I'm offering some basic protection for integration server itself to protect it from spam requests and from non-UE4 clients (client still can be faked though).
                    As for contract protection - I can't publish any unique key generators (something like unique promo codes system) for smart contracts via open source, because then any third-party can use the same method. If you only want to read values from the smart contract without a third party, then maybe you can constrain contract to work with only selected addresses (which will be yours) and process requests from UE4 client to the integration server and use your own wallets for such read-only operations.
                    For most types of games that are truly decentralized I think having some kind of checksum functionality is needed. Any kind of game where playing the game involves destroying or rewarding of blockchain goods its going to need some kind of dynamic password system in order for those items to hold real world value. Its a fundamental aspect that simply cannot be excluded. You can open source this functionality because how the password is generated can be up to the developer working on the game. Generating these passwords will have to involve special unique functionality.

                    Buy and selling of goods is perfectly fine though. But any kind of game where you earn or destroy items based on what you do simply cannot function in a decentralized way without this kind of functionality.

                    However!
                    With that said though, I have decided to toy around with making a decentralized VR social media app based on your plugin. The assets of value will be avatars and worlds along with a method of delegated censorship where people can choose what Avatars they can see using white lists. I am not sure how this can be done super smoothly but I imagine everything would have to be stored via IPFS.

                    Ill keep you posted as I think this can almost work right out of the box using very rudimentary functionality provided by your plugin.
                    I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your work on this project by the way. This is amazing!
                    - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
                    BLOG: https://steemit.com/@thecastle

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by Castle View Post

                      For most types of games that are truly decentralized I think having some kind of checksum functionality is needed. Any kind of game where playing the game involves destroying or rewarding of blockchain goods its going to need some kind of dynamic password system in order for those items to hold real world value. Its a fundamental aspect that simply cannot be excluded. You can open source this functionality because how the password is generated can be up to the developer working on the game. Generating these passwords will have to involve special unique functionality.

                      Buy and selling of goods is perfectly fine though. But any kind of game where you earn or destroy items based on what you do simply cannot function in a decentralized way without this kind of functionality.
                      If I understood you correctly, the problem is in getting items or other rewards without paying ETH, just by doing some actions in games.
                      Such actions shouldn't be executed by players wallets. As I said before, you can use special admin wallets for such operations and implement the special method on integration server that will receive a request from UE4 server, verify it and execute an operation with admin wallet on contract to give a certain item to the player. I will try to implement an example for that as soon as I get enough time for that. This is more secure than checking that request comes from a valid UE4 client, because such things sooner or later can be faked.
                      Marketplace content: Modular Vehicle Vol. 2 - Modular Sci Fi Office - Projectiles Pack - Research Center - Quest System - All Content

                      Website | Youtube | Artstation

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by Kelheor View Post
                        If I understood you correctly, the problem is in getting items or other rewards without paying ETH, just by doing some actions in games.
                        The problem is that you wont even need to play the actual game and thus nothing you do in the game even matters. The only solution is to make doing this extremely risky and a generally a waste of time. We need to have ways to know that the player was running around in the games world, dodging attacks, wasn't dead or teleporting around at high speed while in god mode as well. The admin wallet is still needed regardless. But a playable video game that is not 100% on chain and is not using a trusted third party (100% centralized) requires additional measures to make sure the game is even being played at all.
                        - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
                        BLOG: https://steemit.com/@thecastle

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Once ETH goes proof of stake then it will be possible to run even more complex smart contracts that employ more complex systems as well. These kinds of checks are just going to become more necisary and more complex as things progress. If we want to get a properly decentralized gaming setup then we need to make the client a literal mine field of checks that nobody wants to **** with to prevent cheating ect.

                          Oh and by the way I am already making pretty decent headway on the VRChat style project. I am calling it UnrealChat right now. I just figured out how to properly support full body ect. I just need Voice come and a server browser and it will be time to get Ethereum functionality in play for account information as well as avatar and world ownership.
                          - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
                          BLOG: https://steemit.com/@thecastle

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by Castle View Post

                            The problem is that you wont even need to play the actual game and thus nothing you do in the game even matters. The only solution is to make doing this extremely risky and a generally a waste of time. We need to have ways to know that the player was running around in the games world, dodging attacks, wasn't dead or teleporting around at high speed while in god mode as well. The admin wallet is still needed regardless. But a playable video game that is not 100% on chain and is not using a trusted third party (100% centralized) requires additional measures to make sure the game is even being played at all.
                            I guess this is not a problem for multiplayer games (or for single player games with client-server architecture, where server can be used for only certain purposes, like leaderboards), because you can make it possible to send such requests to integration server only from UE4 dedicated server authority, which can be trusted, because all actions, which are matters (like movement, quest completion, etc), happens only on server.
                            Marketplace content: Modular Vehicle Vol. 2 - Modular Sci Fi Office - Projectiles Pack - Research Center - Quest System - All Content

                            Website | Youtube | Artstation

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Dedicated servers still wont solve the problem because if you allow for an open community to host them then there will be no way to know if those people are using proper servers. They can then spam a bunch of commands to generate items and ruin the economy. Dedicated servers where the developers are the only ones allowed to control the servers are centralized and thus there was no point in using cryptocurrency at that point. There wont be an economy because nobody will be willing to value the game items as they know the developers have full control over everything.

                              Dedicated servers will still require the kind of functionality I explained above.
                              - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
                              BLOG: https://steemit.com/@thecastle

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by Castle View Post
                                Dedicated servers still wont solve the problem because if you allow for an open community to host them then there will be no way to know if those people are using proper servers. They can then spam a bunch of commands to generate items and ruin the economy. Dedicated servers where the developers are the only ones allowed to control the servers are centralized and thus there was no point in using cryptocurrency at that point. There wont be an economy because nobody will be willing to value the game items as they know the developers have full control over everything.

                                Dedicated servers will still require the kind of functionality I explained above.
                                People don't care too much about the fact that developers can control everything in traditional MMO games. But I agree, there might be use cases when you can't use centralized servers. But in this case you can't really fight with cheating, because everything can be faked on the client side and if your protection only relies on fact that only UE4 client can send commands to smart contracts by using some authentication method via some passphrase/API key/etc, then it won't give you too much security. In this case, you really need to make a lot of custom security methods, which may be unique for each project and still may not give you universal protection from everything.
                                Marketplace content: Modular Vehicle Vol. 2 - Modular Sci Fi Office - Projectiles Pack - Research Center - Quest System - All Content

                                Website | Youtube | Artstation

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X