[FREE] Waypoint Generator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[FREE] Waypoint Generator

Hi, I just released a new blueprint module for generating objective waypoints. Feel free to grab the source code from GitHub: https://github.com/RohitKotiveetil/U...pointGenerator

Click image for larger version  Name:	WayGen.jpg Views:	1 Size:	149.2 KB ID:	1484629

And here's a short video preview:

The basic underlying logic revolves around the use of nav mesh to obtain path points from the player character towards the active objective. The path thus obtained is then divided up into smaller segments before adding them to a spline component. The generation of these additional path points serves the purpose of removing weird twisting spline artifacts that occur around sharp corners when dealing with a very limited set of spline points. With that potential problem taken care of, all that's left is to lay down instanced static meshes to display waypoints along the path.

The system, however, does have a limitation when it comes to displaying waypoints along certain types of inclined surfaces. Basically, from what I came across in the answer hub a while back, the navigation system in Unreal Engine tries to reduce redundancy as much as possible while generating path points. This can sometimes lead to a situation where a direct line drawn from one path point to the next ends up passing under the surface or quite a bit above it when dealing with stairs and other steeply inclined surfaces. To my knowledge, there's nothing that can be done about this in blueprints as the only solution seem to be to get more path points. Splitting up the path into smaller segments as I've mentioned earlier will not help in this scenario because it doesn't really take the navigational paths into account. It's basically just dividing a line without any other concern. But in any case, I've added a system that can mitigate this issue to some extent by using line traces to check the ground location at all points before placing down the waypoint meshes. It may not be able to correct the rotational data between path points in certain scenarios, but it always makes sure that the meshes are placed just above the ground location. If anyone knows of a better way to get around this issue using blueprints, I would really like to hear about it. Anyways, if you're interested in the system, feel free to use it in your projects.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Stormrage256; 11-12-2018, 12:38 AM.
    Unreal Possibilities
    New: Wave Spawning System | Unreal Engine Tips | Hollow Square & Flying Wedge

Nice little tool - thanks for sharing!
    [WIP] Procedural City Generator
    [MARKETPLACE] Animal Behavior Kit | Space Shooter Template | Procedural Foliage Tool | Procedural Park
    [FREE] Modular Road Tool | Action Platformer Template | Radar BP | Free Birds
    Join our Discord

Comment

Originally posted by CoquiGames View Post
      Nice little tool - thanks for sharing!
      Hey, nice to see you again over here! Glad to be of help.
      Unreal Possibilities

Comment

Good stuff thank you!

Comment

DennG You're welcome!
          Unreal Possibilities

Comment

v1.2 edition released on GitHub.

Change Log:
            • Added support for visualizing runtime updates to the nav path based on querier/target locations.

The instanced static meshes used for path visualization are reused during each update cycle, adding new ones and removing excess instances only when necessary. Even so, it basically comes down to the addition of at most one instanced mesh per several update cycles, while all existing instances just require transform updates.
            Unreal Possibilities

Comment

Finally got some spare time to make a quick 4-step tutorial for adding the waypoint generator to new projects. Here you go:

Unreal Possibilities

Comment

Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                X