X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• started a topic Houdini Velocity Grid Exporter

Houdini Velocity Grid Exporter

Hi, everyone!!

I made a digital asset which is able to export *.fga file from Houdini. Basically it does the same thing with the MayaVelocityGridExporter, except that you can now use Houdini's powerful tools to generate the velocity field data. All you need to do is to wire the velocity grid exporter to your dopnetwork, specify an output path and press the export button. Current features include
    • voxel resolution adjustment
    • velocity field data from particle/fluid simulation
    • frame range selection

Houdini Orbolt website download link:

https://www.orbolt.com/asset/Benny::...er?show_login#

I'm new to Houdini and Unreal Engine. Also this is my first digital asset for Houdini. So any kind of feedback or comments are very welcome!

Enjoy and have fun all

• replied
    This exporter error in houdini 16 ;D.. Do you have an upgrade version?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Maybe a little late, but I thought I'd chime in here. A pop sim doesn't create a velocity field by default. Theoretically you could create your own using a gas field vop and sampling the the particle velocity there, you would first have to manually create a vector field to sample to as well.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi Benny !

I was trying to do some Vector Field or Velocity Grid for Unreal.
    That's an amazing tool but it doesn't work on H15.5 with Particle Simulation. I don't know why, I tried to look through your code, but I can't see what's wrong.

After many researchs in your code, and after looking at the debug node, I found that when you're doing a Particle Simulation, the box is really small and don't take the Voxel value in the interface. I fixed that problem but simulation doesn't work even after that.

Do I make a mistake in using it ? Is there another solution to export Vector Field or Velocity Grid to Unreal ?
    Any help is welcome !

Cheers,

Gaƫl.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey there !
    Sorry to be here that late but the Velocity Grid Exporter does not work on particle simulation in H15. I don't know why, I look through code but I can't see what's the problem.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi, Osgrim
    The link ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/tw30sk6tgw...ple.hipnc?dl=0 ) is the .hip file I was used to test the velocity field exporter. hope it helps. Sorry about the late reply. Have a good day and let me know if you have any questions.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Seconding the chap above me would love an example .hip file.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by 220225 View Post
    Hi,
    I made a simple simulation basically using the curve force in Houdini and make the particles followed a spiral shape like path. Then export the simulation result to an fga file and import into Unreal Engine 4. It may not seem exactly the same like the one showed in the tutorial video. But I think the idea behind is pretty much similar. Hope it helps. Thank you ^^
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]9725[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]9726[/ATTACH]
    Any chance you could upload the .hip for this file? I'm having trouble getting the vectors to point in the correct direction, can't figure out what the cause is. Would like to use it as an example if you'd be so kind

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Stjohn909 View Post
    PenguinTD is right: the EULA for Apprentice allows no commercial use whatsoever, but if you bump up to Houdini Indie, it's all good.
    I wouldn't say "all good" Houdini Indie still has very specific terms as well. Always read the EULA.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    PenguinTD is right: the EULA for Apprentice allows no commercial use whatsoever, but if you bump up to Houdini Indie, it's all good.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I hate to be the person said this, but 220225 should understand that SideFX does not allow "exporter" type of thing with apprentice license.(I contacted them before on the HD version and get the same response, no export of any kind even though you can write a plugin yourself.)
    As with anyone wanted to do this themselves, be careful and always check with the software's owner before you think you did something smart to use their software for free.

It's unlikely that any actual game could be done just by vector field files, but everything has a starting point, and I hope you guys tread the business path carefully.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Do you know how to use the sequences of .fga in UE4?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This is awesome!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Nice work isgoed!

To elindell, it's 20x20x20. However, I think it's too big. You don't need so much detail for that spiral effect. After you import the data into Unreal, the editor provides you more control for the final result you want. You can simply think that the simulation is the path how you particles will follow, that's it. Have fun all, sorry to reply a week late XD.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    thanks 220225! I think I got it working, but need to learn alot more about houdini
    quick question, for the spiral you created about what voxel size did you export it at?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X