X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Revisialtd View Post
    Hello,

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but it is the only place I have found.
    I have joined unreal thanks to the potential this plugin brings as I would like to be able to view pointclouds in VR.
    However I seem to have massive performance problems. I see on the plugin page there are pictures of massive point clouds(https://imgur.com/a/X6UNH6E).
    So I wonder if there is a guide to optimise the pointclouds, for example some sort of occlusion culling where it doesn't render the points behind the camera or something else?
    Or maybe have a way to limit the amount of points being rendered? I would like to get something similar to the image I linked in VR.
    (My current pointcloud is budget is 1million, which is a lot lower than i would like. But if i pop it to 10million my headset runs at 5fps. I have the point bias set to 0.035).

Thanks
    Hi and welcome!

If using VR, I would suggest increasing Screen Center Importance to somewhere 1.5 - 2.2 (depending on the cloud - too high and it will start showing strange visual glitches).
    Setting the budget to 10M will significantly hit performance on most PCs, let alone if using VR Try to find a balance between the quality and performance - maybe start with 2-3M?

If you're still struggling, let me know.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by hmental View Post
    Hi! I have problem with plugin. I try create cloud point with blueprints using that tutorial Building new Point Cloud ( https://pointcloudplugin.com/buildin...oint-cloud-v06 )
    Everything is well until "Assign the Cloud asset to a Point Cloud Actor" - i can't find node 'Create Point Cloud From Data'
    There is node 'Create Empty Lidar Point Cloud' but not from data.

Is that tutorial old, someting was changed?
    Hi there!

My apologies for the delayed reply, I don't always get notifications of new messages.

Yes, the node has been somewhat updated:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	31
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	1711343

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello,

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but it is the only place I have found.
    I have joined unreal thanks to the potential this plugin brings as I would like to be able to view pointclouds in VR.
    However I seem to have massive performance problems. I see on the plugin page there are pictures of massive point clouds(https://imgur.com/a/X6UNH6E).
    So I wonder if there is a guide to optimise the pointclouds, for example some sort of occlusion culling where it doesn't render the points behind the camera or something else?
    Or maybe have a way to limit the amount of points being rendered? I would like to get something similar to the image I linked in VR.
    (My current pointcloud is budget is 1million, which is a lot lower than i would like. But if i pop it to 10million my headset runs at 5fps. I have the point bias set to 0.035).

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi! I have problem with plugin. I try create cloud point with blueprints using that tutorial Building new Point Cloud ( https://pointcloudplugin.com/buildin...oint-cloud-v06 )
    Everything is well until "Assign the Cloud asset to a Point Cloud Actor" - i can't find node 'Create Point Cloud From Data'
    There is node 'Create Empty Lidar Point Cloud' but not from data.

Is that tutorial old, someting was changed?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi there!

Originally posted by ThatInterested View Post
    When is the next iteration of instruction documentation coming out for the plugin?
    We are hoping to update the documentation coverage in-line with 4.25 release (subject to time constraints).

Will there be increased video editing and screen recording functions in the future?
    If this is in relation to point clouds, I'm not sure what you mean. If not, then you'll get better chances for a reply in a different thread, as this is outside of my scope

I am still at the poking around phase at present. But, will likely have more questions, if that's OK.
    Sure thing!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello phoboz

I have been working with point cloud data of all sorts since 2006.

My initial test for the plugin was a small .pts file project of 29 gigs. 100 laser scans of a building inside and out with regular geometry. It is nice to see how quick the plugin is on the BOXX Workstation laptop I am using ( i9, Quadro RTX). Still navigating functionality aspects.

I mentioned doing a point cloud based plugin when I visited Luis at Epic HQ in 2016. It is really nice to see Unreal support such data.

When is the next iteration of instruction documentation coming out for the plugin?

Will there be increased video editing and screen recording functions in the future?

I am still at the poking around phase at present. But, will likely have more questions, if that's OK.

Keep up the good work.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by david.gillespie View Post

Happy New Year!
    Many thanks for the update and glad it's coming. e57 is our highest priority as it's a better file size than XYZ that we've been currently been using.
    Happy New Year!
    Can you switch to LAS in the meantime? This should significantly cut down on the file sizes, as well as import times.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by phoboz View Post

Hi David,

E57 is on the current roadmap. It was originally intended for 4.25 release, but due to how tightly packed the schedule already is, we decided to postpone it and sync it with 4.26 release instead. We don't want to force implement a feature without having enough time to properly test it

PLY is backlogged for now - there hasn't been much interest in it so far.
    Happy New Year!
    Many thanks for the update and glad it's coming. e57 is our highest priority as it's a better file size than XYZ that we've been currently been using.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by LipcaCZ View Post
    Hi phoboz, thank you for this great plugin! Could you help me with my problem please?
    I'm creating a demo which will be showing some of my 3D scans.
    I want to start with pointclouds which will morph into mesh using this dissolve effect.
    Problem is that the effect works nicely for mesh, but does not work for pointcloud. As you can see in the video, when I change the amount value in mesh material instance, it's updating immediately in game, but when I do the same for pointcloud material instance, it's not updated immediately. It's updated only after I release the mouse after changing the value. That would not be such problem in editor, but when I drive this value with blueprint, it does not update in game at all.
    Is it somehow possible to make it work even for pointcloud or maybe it's just not implemeted yet? Thanks.

Hi LipcaCZ

Happy New Year!
    I can confirm it is not intended behavior, fortunately, this has been fixed for the next release
    If you need a workaround in the meantime, let me know how you assign the custom material and update it via BP.

Apologies for the inconvenience!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi phoboz, thank you for this great plugin! Could you help me with my problem please?
    I'm creating a demo which will be showing some of my 3D scans.
    I want to start with pointclouds which will morph into mesh using this dissolve effect.
    Problem is that the effect works nicely for mesh, but does not work for pointcloud. As you can see in the video, when I change the amount value in mesh material instance, it's updating immediately in game, but when I do the same for pointcloud material instance, it's not updated immediately. It's updated only after I release the mouse after changing the value. That would not be such problem in editor, but when I drive this value with blueprint, it does not update in game at all.
    Is it somehow possible to make it work even for pointcloud or maybe it's just not implemeted yet? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by david.gillespie View Post
    Are E57 and PLY formats on the roadmap at all? It would be great to be able to have binary files (e57) and an ASCII format with extensibility and more data (ply). This would help this plugin tie in with wider asset management/scanning systems

https://info.vercator.com/blog/what-...ability-issues
    Hi David,

E57 is on the current roadmap. It was originally intended for 4.25 release, but due to how tightly packed the schedule already is, we decided to postpone it and sync it with 4.26 release instead. We don't want to force implement a feature without having enough time to properly test it

PLY is backlogged for now - there hasn't been much interest in it so far.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Are E57 and PLY formats on the roadmap at all? It would be great to be able to have binary files (e57) and an ASCII format with extensibility and more data (ply). This would help this plugin tie in with wider asset management/scanning systems

https://info.vercator.com/blog/what-...ability-issues

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Great to hear, thanks for your work on the development of the plugin — it has proven to be incredibly useful.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Miguel1900 View Post
    Hi phoboz ,

I have seen it on the marketplace under the name of Epic Games, so I suppose you are now working with them! Congratulations!
    Hi Miguel1900, and thanks!
    Yes, the plugin has been acquired by Epic and we have now combined efforts to make it the best it can be!

Originally posted by Miguel1900 View Post
    In addition I would want to ask you for a question: is it compatible with other point clouds generated with photogrammetry softwares? (not laser scans, but photography based, like Reality Capture, Agisoft Photoscan/Metashape, etc).
    As long as it generates a list of points in one of the supported formats (currently LAS, XYZ, PTS, and TXT) you should be able to import it just fine

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi phoboz ,

I have seen it on the marketplace under the name of Epic Games, so I suppose you are now working with them! Congratulations!

In addition I would want to ask you for a question: is it compatible with other point clouds generated with photogrammetry softwares? (not laser scans, but photography based, like Reality Capture, Agisoft Photoscan/Metashape, etc).

Thank you and best regards!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X