• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• started a topic [PLUGIN] Point Cloud Plugin

Point Cloud Plugin

Hello Community!

Just wanted to share my creation. Hope you enjoy it
    This plugin has been developed to help with importing, processing and rendering of point clouds.

Visit the official website: http://pointcloudplugin.com

Click image for larger version  Name:	UnrealDevGrant_Award_Icon_01.png Views:	2 Size:	32.8 KB ID:	1495181
    Last edited by phoboz; 05-14-2019, 03:19 PM.

• replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	0.5.7.png
Views:	1
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	1622673

Point Cloud Plugin v0.5.7
    Release Notes

Fixes
    • Fixed Fatal Error when streaming levels with clouds

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by phoboz View Post

Very strange. The plugin should support all versions of the las files.
    Any chance you could send me the original cloud you imported, for testing?
    Unfortunately, I think the dataset is company proprietary. =/ I'll see if I can get something which exhibits the same behavior.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by shdwjk View Post

The file is a .las. I was able to get it working by loading it in CloudCompare, then saving it out as a .las again. I'm guessing it must be some sort of older version which is not supported by the plugin on import. When I opened it prior to the conversion, everything appeared correct except for the lack of color. I had created a VR starter project and trashed the existing level objects and dropped in the point cloud, so the default skybox, light, etc.
    Very strange. The plugin should support all versions of the las files.
    Any chance you could send me the original cloud you imported, for testing?

Leave a comment:

• replied

Hi there,

- What format is the cloud you imported?
    - When you open the asset, does it say it has any color information?
    - Do you have any lighting set in your level? If not, try switching the cloud to Unlit mode
    The file is a .las. I was able to get it working by loading it in CloudCompare, then saving it out as a .las again. I'm guessing it must be some sort of older version which is not supported by the plugin on import. When I opened it prior to the conversion, everything appeared correct except for the lack of color. I had created a VR starter project and trashed the existing level objects and dropped in the point cloud, so the default skybox, light, etc.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by shdwjk View Post
    I'm trying to use the 0.5.6-4.22 plugin in 4.22.1, but my point cloud only shows up as black specs, no color. when I load it in CloudCompare, the color shows up fine. I've tried adjusting various settings and can't seem to get color. Suggestions?
    Hi there,

- What format is the cloud you imported?
    - When you open the asset, does it say it has any color information?
    - Do you have any lighting set in your level? If not, try switching the cloud to Unlit mode

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm trying to use the 0.5.6-4.22 plugin in 4.22.1, but my point cloud only shows up as black specs, no color. when I load it in CloudCompare, the color shows up fine. I've tried adjusting various settings and can't seem to get color. Suggestions?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ran another build with just one cloud loaded via streaming. Map loads successfully — as soon as you enter the streaming volume though the "Fatal Error !" dialog appears.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by pp_rfrost View Post

Wasn't a new project, previously 0.5.5. UE 4.22.1.
    I can send log file, where would that be located? Also, should I be converting from 0.5.5 in particular manner?
    Should be just a drop in replacement for the previous version (unless I missed something).
    The logs are located under PROJECT_FOLDER\Saved\Logs. Please send me the latest one following the fatal error you mentioned (usually PROJECT_NAME.log). Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• replied

Was this a new project or converted from v0.5.5?
    Which engine version?
    Any chance you could send me the log file?
    Wasn't a new project, previously 0.5.5. UE 4.22.1.
    I can send log file, where would that be located? Also, should I be converting from 0.5.5 in particular manner?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just tried v0.5.6, and getting "Fatal error!" dialog — no other information appears.
    Was this a new project or converted from v0.5.5?
    Which engine version?
    Any chance you could send me the log file?

Leave a comment:

• replied

By default, the clouds will only be pushed to the GPU if they are set as visible. You could potentially load the map with all of them invisible, then toggle one by one to somewhat limit the initial stutter. Alternatively, v0.6 (EA) is using GPU streaming, so the initial stutter should be minimal in comparison.

However, keep in mind that the engine will still load all assets referenced by the particular level when said level is being loaded itself. One way to overcome this would be to use Level Streaming and break it into several pieces, each containing a number of clouds. This way you may be able to load some of the data in the background, reducing the initial stutter.

Hope this helps
    Thanks phoboz,
    I'll setup level streaming for the clouds.
    Just tried v0.5.6, and getting "Fatal error!" dialog — no other information appears.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    With a number of point clouds being loaded, whats the best way to optimise map loading times?
    By default, the clouds will only be pushed to the GPU if they are set as visible. You could potentially load the map with all of them invisible, then toggle one by one to somewhat limit the initial stutter. Alternatively, v0.6 (EA) is using GPU streaming, so the initial stutter should be minimal in comparison.

However, keep in mind that the engine will still load all assets referenced by the particular level when said level is being loaded itself. One way to overcome this would be to use Level Streaming and break it into several pieces, each containing a number of clouds. This way you may be able to load some of the data in the background, reducing the initial stutter.

Hope this helps

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	0.5.6.png
Views:	1
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	1619354

Point Cloud Plugin v0.5.6
    Release Notes

New Features / Improvements
    • Removed the necessity of using SetEnabledOverride to mark the points’ status as persistent
    • Added more options for LAS importing
    Fixes
    • Fixed many issues and potential stability problems with serialization
    • Fixed many issues and potential stability problems with importing clouds
    • Fixed issues with compiling Volumetric materials
    • Fixed issues with precision loss guard not triggering correctly is some cases
    • Fixed missing Blueprint exposure for LAS importing
    • Fixed Render Method not switching to RGB after reimport
    • Fixed incorrect behavior when providing Color Range with negative values during imports

Leave a comment:

• replied
    With a number of point clouds being loaded, whats the best way to optimise map loading times?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X