Point Cloud Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phoboz View Post

Ah, what you describe may also be caused by viewport prioritization. By default, we drop to the lowest LOD on inactive viewports to maximize performance in the active one. This can be disabled in Project Settings > LiDAR Point Cloud > Prioritize Active Viewport.

See if that helps.

Note that disabling the option will result in the point budget being split between all viewports and you may need to compensate by increasing it (cvar r.LidarPointBudget x)
    I had tried the 'priotize active viewport' with no luck yesterday. Bumping up the point budget definitely seems to have an impact. The density now stays the same regardless of my primary viewport's distance.

The size of the particles still seems to change somewhat as the main viewport gets closer. And when the points are outside the main viewport frustum, everything still goes nuts (point density becomes minimal, and point sizes go from miniscule to huge, depending on how/where my main camera is positioned).

While it would be ideal to get this resolved as well, what I've got is certainly sufficient for the demo we are trying to produce. Thank you so much for your help!!

Comment

Hi there,
      I am having issues rendering videos from a LiDAR point cloud in 4.26. It used to work quite nicely in 4.24, but I updated to 4.26 for the "unlimited" point cloud size.
      Now the camera cuts look great in the viewport, but once I render a video the points look bloated and they flicker on and off as tiles.​​​​​ (see screenshot). After reading most of this thread I already tried changing settings such as point budget in output log but to no effect.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2021-02-23-17h05m29s662.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1865444

Comment

Hi NVMUC

Thanks for the report!

A few questions:
        - Is this an upgraded project or a fresh one?
        - If an upgrade, can you reproduce this on a blank 4.26 project as well?
        - You mentioned you have changed the budget - what is your setting?
        - Did you change any other cvar values?
        - Could you describe your scene setup? How do you record the takes?
        - What is your CPU/GPU?

Feel free to send me a private message if you'd rather not share that publicly

Comment

Hello,
          I have a question: is it possible to import scan setups rather than entire point clouds? My cloud is properly registered and exported as e57 "per scan station". When I import them into UE 4.26 the scans are not aligned properly. I thought that changing their location to 0,0,0 will solve the problem but this did not help.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ziutek27 View Post
            Hello,
            I have a question: is it possible to import scan setups rather than entire point clouds? My cloud is properly registered and exported as e57 "per scan station". When I import them into UE 4.26 the scans are not aligned properly. I thought that changing their location to 0,0,0 will solve the problem but this did not help.
            Hi ziutek27

By default, all assets are being centered on import to avoid precision loss.
            The easiest way to relatively align several clouds is to select them in the Content Browser > right-click > Align

Let me know if that helps

Comment

Thank you phoboz. Your advice completely solved my problem.

Comment

Hey, just wondering if there's any update on Niagara integration? If not, does anyone have any ideas how to get point clouds in to Niagara without converting to a mesh?

Particle systems are such a nice way to render point clouds, and I know a few other people who are also hoping for this feature!

Comment

Originally posted by cpkcpk1 View Post
                  Hey, just wondering if there's any update on Niagara integration? If not, does anyone have any ideas how to get point clouds in to Niagara without converting to a mesh?

Particle systems are such a nice way to render point clouds, and I know a few other people who are also hoping for this feature!
                  Hi there.
                  There are no immediate plans for the Lidar <> Niagara integration.

Try to convert the point cloud into a CSV, which you can import as a datatable. Then you should be able to generate the points with Niagara

Comment

Working...
                  X