X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi david.gillespie

Sorry for a late reply, I was attempting semi-vacation

Re Meshing
    It is on our todo list, but it's unlikely to make it to 4.26 due to time constraints.

Re E57 support
    We still have it in a prototype phase, but I believe it should make an appearance in 4.26 release

Hope that helps

Comment

Hi phoboz - No worries - everyone deserves a break!

e57 is exciting to hear as it makes things more efficient for us. Still interested in whatever iOS support there may be as otherwise whilst it is possible to mesh point clouds, the results can be a bit larger and more cumbersome than one may like for mobile.
      David Gillespie
      Associate
      Foster + Partners

Comment

any option to make it work in Android?

Comment

Originally posted by samdax View Post
          any option to make it work in Android?
          Not currently. Your best bet is to use Pixel Streaming.

Comment

Hi - I've been seeing a lot on On-Demand streaming of point cloud data with 4.25 but struggling to find the documentation/examples. Any suggestions on the best place to look as runtime loading of point clouds we'd like to test out!
            David Gillespie
            Associate
            Foster + Partners

Comment

Originally posted by david.gillespie View Post
              Hi - I've been seeing a lot on On-Demand streaming of point cloud data with 4.25 but struggling to find the documentation/examples. Any suggestions on the best place to look as runtime loading of point clouds we'd like to test out!
              Hi David,

The on-demand streaming aspect is related to loading the data from storage to system RAM, then from RAM to the GPU. Both designed to keep the requirements as low as possible, and both are always enabled.
              However, this is not cloud streaming. The data (still) has to be loaded locally, although runtime imports are supported.

I hope this answers the question.

Comment

Thanks - the runtime import is what I was interested in as I assume we can now have a point cloud file, say in a folder on your desktop, that can be loaded into the engine at runtime?
                David Gillespie
                Associate
                Foster + Partners

Comment

Thanks - the runtime import is what I was interested in as I assume we can now have a point cloud file, say in a folder on your desktop, that can be loaded into the engine at runtime?
                  Yes, exactly.
                  https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...ile/index.html

Comment

Thanks! Just gave it a go -awesome job!
                    If there is a super large file does it incrementally display the point cloud data or does it wait until the file is fully loaded before displaying the point cloud?

[Edit]
                    Have just tried throwing a 2Gb point cloud at runtime and it loaded quickly off my machine (SSD probably helped) however whilst it was set to Async, I had a performance hit when the data was loading (running very smooth when loaded).

Also incremental point cloud display would be really helpful when Async loading, particularly if the file is being accessed across a network etc.
                    Last edited by david.gillespie; 08-19-2020, 09:24 AM.
                    David Gillespie
                    Associate
                    Foster + Partners

Comment

Are there going to be performance enhancements for inserting points during runtime in the next release?

Comment

Hi david.gillespie,

Sorry for the delay, I don't seem to be getting any notifications again.

Glad you got it working!

The performance hit while importing is to be expected, as the import is fully multithreaded, and probably using all available resources

I have experimented with the incremental display approach before, but it was very unstable due to the risk of multiple threads accessing the same data, and any robust workarounds resulted in significant performance hits for the whole process. We might revisit this in the future as an option.

---

Hi marnhoke,

Sadly, only marginal improvements to runtime data modification made the cut for this release.
                        We do, however, plan to develop a concept of dynamic cloud, for efficient, frequent data updates (think cloud streaming, live streaming, etc.) as soon as possible.

Comment

@phoboz

Thanks for the update on this - it's awesome to be able to do this at runtime so great work. Think the incremental display approach could be really cool - eg loading every nth line of scan data initially and filling in the gaps. Otherwise, we were considering a "lazy loading" approach where there are subsampled scans which are loaded in initially however that will mean there is a lot of duplicate data sitting on our servers somewhere, not to mention the additional work producing the sub sampled data sets. Maybe this is more readily implementable with ASCII formats?
                          David Gillespie
                          Associate
                          Foster + Partners

Comment

@phoboz

Thanks for the update on this - it's awesome to be able to do this at runtime so great work. Think the incremental display approach could be really cool - eg loading every nth line of scan data initially and filling in the gaps. Otherwise, we were considering a "lazy loading" approach where there are subsampled scans which are loaded in initially however that will mean there is a lot of duplicate data sitting on our servers somewhere, not to mention the additional work producing the sub sampled data sets. Maybe this is more readily implementable with ASCII formats?
                            Hi david.gillespie

The problem is in accessing the memory with already imported parts of the data, not the source file. The only way I could do this without risking a crash would be something like that:
                            - Lock asset for insertion
                            - Insert a small batch of points
                            - Unlock
                            - Lock for rendering
                            - Render
                            - Unlock
                            - Lock for insertion
                            (...)

However, the amount of locking would cripple the performance considerably.
                            I will definitely look into this in the future, as I liked the overall idea (when it worked, it looked very cool! )

Comment

Hi,

Can you give some info on making materials?
                              I tried a basic one, with blend mode translucent and just a vertex color in base color and emissive. Comes out white and square, while I have circle selected in the properties. I could easily mask it, but I want to understand what's going on, especially with the colors (which are present when not using a custom material).

Thanks

Comment

Trying to get a large LIDAR site to perform nicely in VR but seems very inconsistent and having trouble getting shadows to appear. Looks like there's a few things mentioned in this thread which I could try but figured I'd post a screen recording here. I had very high hopes for LIDAR in Unreal Engine, trying to hold onto that feeling but it's getting hard!

Comment

Working...
                                X