No announcement yet.

Point Cloud Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the suggestion. Am aware of the plugin but not yet tested it out. Will have a look at that in the first instance for what I'm looking to do.
    ​​​​​
    David Gillespie
    Associate
    Foster + Partners

Comment

Hey, First of all, thanks a lot for this great plugin! It opens so many possibilities.

I have two questions: I want to create a runtime point cloud loader. The point clouds are located in an absolute coordinate system as I also introduce overlapping vector data. The problem I have to solve is, how to spawn the camera at the location of the loaded point cloud. Is there a possibility to extract e.g. the center point of a cloud / the first row of the file to set the actor location according to these coordinate? Using something like "center mass" did not work as the origin of the point cloud is always 0,0,0.

The second question is about creating a measurement tool for the user. For this I need to build collisions. But even when setting an accuracy of 10 cm, the collision shows an offset to the points, is that intended? Further, is there a tutorial how to create a measurement function or is it planned to be included in a future release?

Thank you already and many greetings, Cedric

Comment

Originally posted by cedmayer View Post
        Hey, First of all, thanks a lot for this great plugin! It opens so many possibilities.
        Hi Cedric, thanks for the feedback!

I have two questions: I want to create a runtime point cloud loader. The point clouds are located in an absolute coordinate system as I also introduce overlapping vector data. The problem I have to solve is, how to spawn the camera at the location of the loaded point cloud. Is there a possibility to extract e.g. the center point of a cloud / the first row of the file to set the actor location according to these coordinate? Using something like "center mass" did not work as the origin of the point cloud is always 0,0,0.
        Try using the GetBounds function of the Point Cloud object.

The second question is about creating a measurement tool for the user. For this I need to build collisions. But even when setting an accuracy of 10 cm, the collision shows an offset to the points, is that intended?
        Very possible. This parameter determines the maximum deviation distance of the collision mesh from the actual point.
        I think a better approach here would be to use the dedicated point cloud LineTrace function (there are single and multi variants).
        UPointCloudBlueprintLibrary::LineTraceXXXXXX - will consider all point cloud components in the level (Blueprint equivalent - Line Trace (Multi) For Point Cloud)
        UPointCloud::LineTraceXXXXXX - will only consider that one point cloud object (for Blueprint equivalent, drag a wire from the Point Cloud object and use Line Trace XXXX)

Further, is there a tutorial how to create a measurement function or is it planned to be included in a future release?
        I'm afraid there is no dedicated measuring tool at this time - I'll add it as a feature request to the list, thanks!
        LiDAR Point Cloud Plugin: Marketplace | Project Website | Forum Thread

If you need help: join me on Discord

Comment

Thank you for the very quick reply! "Get Component Bounds" resolved the issue very easily
          Regarding the measurement advises, I am gonna try to implement that, thank you for the hints!

Comment

The plugin has now been moved to the Marketplace:
            https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...ar-point-cloud

For further documentation, visit the official website:
            http://pointcloudplugin.com

Comment

Looks awesome, do you have any plans for a version 4.22 release?

Comment

Originally posted by DeusUpperX View Post
                Looks awesome, do you have any plans for a version 4.22 release?
                Not for the Marketplace release. The last version supporting 4.22 is the 0.7.1 - available only upon request at this point

Comment

Hi phoboz ,

I have seen it on the marketplace under the name of Epic Games, so I suppose you are now working with them! Congratulations!

In addition I would want to ask you for a question: is it compatible with other point clouds generated with photogrammetry softwares? (not laser scans, but photography based, like Reality Capture, Agisoft Photoscan/Metashape, etc).

Thank you and best regards!
                  RTX RayTracing easy global settings tweaker

Advanced HDRi background tool + 64 HDR images

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel1900 View Post
                    Hi phoboz ,

I have seen it on the marketplace under the name of Epic Games, so I suppose you are now working with them! Congratulations!
                    Hi Miguel1900, and thanks!
                    Yes, the plugin has been acquired by Epic and we have now combined efforts to make it the best it can be!

Originally posted by Miguel1900 View Post
                    In addition I would want to ask you for a question: is it compatible with other point clouds generated with photogrammetry softwares? (not laser scans, but photography based, like Reality Capture, Agisoft Photoscan/Metashape, etc).
                    As long as it generates a list of points in one of the supported formats (currently LAS, XYZ, PTS, and TXT) you should be able to import it just fine

Comment

Great to hear, thanks for your work on the development of the plugin — it has proven to be incredibly useful.
                      Richard Frost

Head of VR & AR
                      Pilbrow & Partners

Comment

Are E57 and PLY formats on the roadmap at all? It would be great to be able to have binary files (e57) and an ASCII format with extensibility and more data (ply). This would help this plugin tie in with wider asset management/scanning systems

https://info.vercator.com/blog/what-...ability-issues
                        David Gillespie
                        Associate
                        Foster + Partners

Comment

Originally posted by david.gillespie View Post
                          Are E57 and PLY formats on the roadmap at all? It would be great to be able to have binary files (e57) and an ASCII format with extensibility and more data (ply). This would help this plugin tie in with wider asset management/scanning systems

https://info.vercator.com/blog/what-...ability-issues
                          Hi David,

E57 is on the current roadmap. It was originally intended for 4.25 release, but due to how tightly packed the schedule already is, we decided to postpone it and sync it with 4.26 release instead. We don't want to force implement a feature without having enough time to properly test it

PLY is backlogged for now - there hasn't been much interest in it so far.

Comment

Hi phoboz, thank you for this great plugin! Could you help me with my problem please?
                            I'm creating a demo which will be showing some of my 3D scans.
                            I want to start with pointclouds which will morph into mesh using this dissolve effect.
                            Problem is that the effect works nicely for mesh, but does not work for pointcloud. As you can see in the video, when I change the amount value in mesh material instance, it's updating immediately in game, but when I do the same for pointcloud material instance, it's not updated immediately. It's updated only after I release the mouse after changing the value. That would not be such problem in editor, but when I drive this value with blueprint, it does not update in game at all.
                            Is it somehow possible to make it work even for pointcloud or maybe it's just not implemeted yet? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by LipcaCZ View Post
                              Hi phoboz, thank you for this great plugin! Could you help me with my problem please?
                              I'm creating a demo which will be showing some of my 3D scans.
                              I want to start with pointclouds which will morph into mesh using this dissolve effect.
                              Problem is that the effect works nicely for mesh, but does not work for pointcloud. As you can see in the video, when I change the amount value in mesh material instance, it's updating immediately in game, but when I do the same for pointcloud material instance, it's not updated immediately. It's updated only after I release the mouse after changing the value. That would not be such problem in editor, but when I drive this value with blueprint, it does not update in game at all.
                              Is it somehow possible to make it work even for pointcloud or maybe it's just not implemeted yet? Thanks.

Hi LipcaCZ

Happy New Year!
                              I can confirm it is not intended behavior, fortunately, this has been fixed for the next release
                              If you need a workaround in the meantime, let me know how you assign the custom material and update it via BP.

Apologies for the inconvenience!

Comment

Originally posted by phoboz View Post

Hi David,

E57 is on the current roadmap. It was originally intended for 4.25 release, but due to how tightly packed the schedule already is, we decided to postpone it and sync it with 4.26 release instead. We don't want to force implement a feature without having enough time to properly test it

PLY is backlogged for now - there hasn't been much interest in it so far.
                                Happy New Year!
                                Many thanks for the update and glad it's coming. e57 is our highest priority as it's a better file size than XYZ that we've been currently been using.
                                David Gillespie
                                Associate
                                Foster + Partners

Comment

Working...
                                X