No announcement yet.

Point Cloud Plugin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello phoboz. Fantastic work with the plugin. Would you give me your thoughts about the current recommended point count / scan file size for the plugin? We have some gigantic monsters that do not seem to play nice. Would you say the sweet spot is 20 million points files? Can it go 400 million? It is rather awesome to see the scans inside Unreal.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	0.5.2.png
Views:	1
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	1572449
      Point Cloud Plugin v0.5.2
      Release Notes

Fixes
      • Changing processing parameters will now also re-calculate transformations
      • Fixed interference with LODs when applying scale to component
      • Import All now checks for an inconsistent header and column definitions
      • Fixed crash when selecting the same column multiple times during import
      • Setting the offset method to FirstPoint will no longer select disabled points
      Point Cloud Plugin: Project Website | Forum Thread | Roadmap

If you need help: join me on Discord
      Please support me on Patreon if you enjoy my content

Comment

Originally posted by joakberndt View Post
        Hello phoboz. Fantastic work with the plugin. Would you give me your thoughts about the current recommended point count / scan file size for the plugin? We have some gigantic monsters that do not seem to play nice. Would you say the sweet spot is 20 million points files? Can it go 400 million? It is rather awesome to see the scans inside Unreal.
        Hi and thanks for the feedback

The current limitation of v0.5 is its necessity to pre-allocate data into VRAM, hence once you hit that cap it will refuse to render more or even crash. Data is being loaded while the cloud is set as visible, therefore splitting one large cloud into many small ones will not work around that limitation (unless you can manually toggle the visibility of irrelevant clouds - but that may cause momentary stuttering).

Using sprites as render mode requires 64 bytes per point, hence, for example, 100M cloud will require ~6GB VRAM for the cloud alone. You can enable Low Precision mode to effectively reduce the space requirement by half, at the cost of precision (the larger the cloud's bounds, the more notable it will be).

There shouldn't be any noticeable performance difference between, say, 100x 1M clouds and 1x 100M cloud (there will be more draw calls, but should still be well within acceptable range).

I've implemented GPU data streaming for the v0.6, but it's not optimized yet. You can load significantly larger clouds (I've tested it with one 200M+), but expect the performance to be around 2/3 of the v0.5.

Hope that helps a little

Comment

Hi!

i'm trying to download the plugin but the download links doesn't work. Any idea?

THX!!

Comment

Originally posted by samdax View Post
            Hi!

i'm trying to download the plugin but the download links doesn't work. Any idea?

THX!!
            Hi,

Strange, I've just tested all of them, and they appear to work correctly.
            Can you tell me which one doesn't work for you? ​​​​

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	0.5.3.png
Views:	1
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1581683
              Point Cloud Plugin v0.5.3

Release Notes

Fixes
              • Fixed crash when rendering in VR

Comment

Do you have any intention to bring this to Unity, or are you specifically Unreal based? The company that I work for is looking into different software like this for Unity, specifically and only because Unreal wants too much for what we would use it for which is Point-cloud visualization around 3D Meshes that we create (because we would charge a little extra for this service but not as a profit generator... and because the company makes a lot of money in other areas, its not an acceptable %).

Regardless it looks pretty cool. Nice work!

Comment

Originally posted by RjMelter View Post
                  Do you have any intention to bring this to Unity, or are you specifically Unreal based? The company that I work for is looking into different software like this for Unity, specifically and only because Unreal wants too much for what we would use it for which is Point-cloud visualization around 3D Meshes that we create (because we would charge a little extra for this service but not as a profit generator... and because the company makes a lot of money in other areas, its not an acceptable %).

Have a look at Unreal Studio, it is currently for free till the end of the year and they don't charge a percentage for industrial applications.

Comment

Originally posted by RjMelter View Post

Hi RjMelter! Thanks for the feedback. There are currently no plans for porting the plugin to Unity.

Comment

Do you have plans create pointcloud from pictures in unreal ? that would be big thing to do, it is relatively easy to manage programs for point cloud but it is difficult to have quality point clouds from pictures. Anyway great work, keep on

Comment

Originally posted by "Kratos_88 ;n1596376"
                        Do you have plans create pointcloud from pictures in unreal ? that would be big thing to do, it is relatively easy to manage programs for point cloud but it is difficult to have quality point clouds from pictures. Anyway great work, keep on
                        Hi Kratos_88

If you mean photogrammetry, then possibly, at some point. However, the immediate roadmap has some other priorities, so it might be a while before I get around to it though

Comment

Originally posted by phoboz View Post

Hi Kratos_88

If you mean photogrammetry, then possibly, at some point. However, the immediate roadmap has some other priorities, so it might be a while before I get around to it though
                          what do you mean at some point that is at the moment very important to me if you find way to do that please inform me

Comment

Originally posted by Kratos_88 View Post

what do you mean at some point that is at the moment very important to me if you find way to do that please inform me
                            It means, that I do not currently have this feature on the roadmap, but it might be something I will look into at a later stage or if more people request it

Comment

Kratos_88 , why not use one of the many commercial programs that can already do this?
                              Agisoft Photoscan/ now Metashape, or Reality Capture are solid solutions that can already do this competently and at scale.

Comment

Originally posted by ax448 View Post
                                Kratos_88 , why not use one of the many commercial programs that can already do this?
                                Agisoft Photoscan/ now Metashape, or Reality Capture are solid solutions that can already do this competently and at scale.
                                Well it is obviously a price. Look at price at reality capture. Also there is big time generating model from picture in RealityCapture and Agisoft/Metashape. I believe in this guy that he is on something new that will bring precision and time in photogammetry with his app that these apps dont have, he had one million, I am waiting for something new I think it is bigger problem to make point cloud from picture and generate model than to menage point cloud (maybe I am wrong)...

Comment

Working...
                                X