Point Cloud Plugin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    EDIT : Found the solution, Cloud Compare shifts your model to compensate for 32bit coordinates on 64bit clouds, you have to shift it back to 0 to get your cloud to look good

Hey phoboz ! I've been benchmarking your plugin the last two days and I have a problem, although I'm not sure if this is from the plugin or my exports...

I'm importing an ascii based cloud and getting this weird banding in UE4.

Model looks fine in Cloud Compare.

Now a lot of our models have coordinates very far away from 0,0,0 and I noticed that the banding was present in CC until I centered it on import. Could it be the same kind of problem in your plugin with 32bits coordinates instead of 64bits giving us approximative results ? The UE4 import seen above has been recentered using the "first point" Transformation offset by the way.

Another thing you might have noted on the screenshots : it seems that the model is mirrored compared to its source ?
    Last edited by LegendreVR; 04-13-2018, 09:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    X axis is the distance, Y is the LOD level. Each subsequent LOD halves the point count inside the section. Depending on the bounds of the cloud, it might be useful to tweak the section size to not generate massive amounts of draw calls (those are displayed in the stats panel).

There's currently no way to visualize the LODs.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by xN31 View Post

Wow, that was much simpler than expected!! worked flawlessly with a 1.5 GB xyz point cloud, nothing short than amazing! ;-)
    Just one question about LODs, how does the curve work? How do I define which LOD should be used at which distance (and how can I visualise which LOD is being used and where)?
    Performances in general are pretty good with the default settings, but I'm trying to squeeze out a bit more of performance for a VR project.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by phoboz View Post
    Thanks for the feedback!

I'll upload some samples / video tutorials as soon as I'm back from holidays

But essentially it's just:
    1. Drag and drop TXT or XYZ to content browser (importer should work with any column-based text file)
    2. Select columns to import
    3. Drag and drop the imported asset onto the scene

​​​​​
    Wow, that was much simpler than expected!! worked flawlessly with a 1.5 GB xyz point cloud, nothing short than amazing! ;-)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for the feedback!

I'll upload some samples / video tutorials as soon as I'm back from holidays

But essentially it's just:
    1. Drag and drop TXT or XYZ to content browser (importer should work with any column-based text file)
    2. Select columns to import
    3. Drag and drop the imported asset onto the scene

​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Some sample project would be nice to have

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah really amazing effort phoboz !

Leave a comment:

• replied
    phoboz

Awesome, thank you!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by phoboz View Post
    duke22 I had it successfully load files 25gb+, it shouldn't crash. What file are you loading and how much RAM do you have? Don't suppose this file is available somewhere for download to test?

LegendreVR Haven't tested this with Unreal Studio, but can't see why it wouldn't work. Version 0.1 was code only, 0.2 has all necessary binaries included so should start and deploy with content-only projects too. Are you using 4.18 or 4.19? Were there any errors? Could you send me your log file?
    Hello Phoboz, your plugin sounds really interesting! Any chance of a small sample project showing how to use it? I may be missing something, I just found the comments in the source code but no other documentation

Leave a comment:

• replied
    stojke-y
    MIT, free for all
    I have few videos and screenshots, but the scans are not my data, so just waiting for a go-ahead from the owners to publish them here

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This plugin sounds great, I may try it at some point. What license is it under currently and what are your licensing plans when you fully release it.

If I may suggest, you should probably make some demo videos, so people can see how it looks and works without of installing it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    duke22 As for point size - you can't change them, points are just pixels. If you want something that can be scaled, you need to switch to sprites, then you have Min/Max and ScaleDistance parameters to adjust their size.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    duke22 I had it successfully load files 25gb+, it shouldn't crash. What file are you loading and how much RAM do you have? Don't suppose this file is available somewhere for download to test?

LegendreVR Haven't tested this with Unreal Studio, but can't see why it wouldn't work. Version 0.1 was code only, 0.2 has all necessary binaries included so should start and deploy with content-only projects too. Are you using 4.18 or 4.19? Were there any errors? Could you send me your log file?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Dang this looks like an awesome plugin on the paper but... I can't even get it to run, it crashes the editor as soon as I start a new BP or Unreal Studio project with the plugin enabled.

Only way I could make it worked was by creating a C++ project, is it a requirement ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Also, where do I change the point size?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X