No announcement yet.

Point Cloud Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried the 0.5ea version with UE 4.20.3, and it crashes when importing a point cloud file. First I tought the file was too large, so I tried to import just one line and it still crashes. I tried it on two different PC-s (Acer Predator 17 laptop, and PC with Radeon R9 390) and it crashes on both with the same error.

Can anyone confirm this is a bug?

Attached is the point cloud file I used.

Here are my import settings:

Click image for larger version

Name:	pcimport.png
Views:	62
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1535225

Here is the crash output log:

Code:
    LoginId:7ddaf0044a02aad710fd5783ab03e5a9
    EpicAccountId:7bc41a5d993749809fc93c323b983e5c

Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)

UE4Editor_PointCloudRuntime!FPointCloudOctree::Rebuild() [c:\users\michal\downloads\pointcloudplugin\hostproject\plugins\pointcloudplugin\source\pointcloudruntime\private\pointcloudoctree.cpp:251]
    UE4Editor_PointCloudRuntime!UPointCloud::Rebuild() [c:\users\michal\downloads\pointcloudplugin\hostproject\plugins\pointcloudplugin\source\pointcloudruntime\private\pointcloud.cpp:539]
    UE4Editor_PointCloudRuntime!UPointCloudStatics::LoadPointCloudFromFile_Full() [c:\users\michal\downloads\pointcloudplugin\hostproject\plugins\pointcloudplugin\source\pointcloudruntime\private\pointcloudstatics.cpp:61]
    UE4Editor_PointCloudEditor!UPointCloudFactory::FactoryCreateFile() [c:\users\michal\downloads\pointcloudplugin\hostproject\plugins\pointcloudplugin\source\pointcloudeditor\private\pointcloudfactory.cpp:61]
    UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UFactory::ImportObject() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\factories\factory.cpp:170]
    UE4Editor_AssetTools!UAssetToolsImpl::ImportAssetsInternal() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\developer\assettools\private\assettools.cpp:1643]
    UE4Editor_AssetTools!UAssetToolsImpl::ImportAssets() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\developer\assettools\private\assettools.cpp:871]
    UE4Editor_AssetTools!UAssetToolsImpl::ImportAssetsWithDialog() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\developer\assettools\private\assettools.cpp:705]
    UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!SContentBrowser::ImportAsset() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\editor\contentbrowser\private\scontentbrowser.cpp:951]
    UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!SContentBrowser::HandleImportClicked() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\editor\contentbrowser\private\scontentbrowser.cpp:942]
    UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!TBaseSPMethodDelegateInstance<0,SContentBrowser,0,FReply __cdecl(void)>::Execute() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegateinstancesimpl.h:269]
    UE4Editor_Slate!SButton::OnMouseButtonUp() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\widgets\input\sbutton.cpp:290]
    UE4Editor_Slate!FEventRouter::Route<FReply,FEventRouter::FToLeafmostPolicy,FPointerEvent,<lambda_1002768c627006711ef2f351a87ec0e7> >() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:268]
    UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::RoutePointerUpEvent() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:5472]
    UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::ProcessMouseButtonUpEvent() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:5979]
    UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::OnMouseUp() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:5959]
    UE4Editor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsApplication::ProcessDeferredMessage() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\applicationcore\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:1736]
    UE4Editor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsApplication::DeferMessage() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\applicationcore\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:2182]
    UE4Editor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsApplication::ProcessMessage() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\applicationcore\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:895]
    UE4Editor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsApplication::AppWndProc() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\applicationcore\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:732]
    user32
    user32
    UE4Editor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsPlatformApplicationMisc::PumpMessages() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\applicationcore\private\windows\windowsplatformapplicationmisc.cpp:129]
    UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::Tick() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:3417]
    UE4Editor!GuardedMain() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:166]
    UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:144]
    UE4Editor!WinMain() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:223]
    UE4Editor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [f:\dd\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:283]
    kernel32
    ntdll
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by xmak View Post
      I tried the 0.5ea version with UE 4.20.3, and it crashes when importing a point cloud file...
      I can confirm that the same point cloud file works with 0.4 version of the plugin and UE 4.19. So it's definitely a UE4.20 related bug.

Comment

My apologies for the delay in answering, I was away from my machine for a while.

Thank you all for the feeback and reports, I appreciate it!

Originally posted by wickerman123 View Post
        Turns out the issue was a file format discrepancy. RealityCapture writes the values as an expression rather than an absolute value. (See attached images)
        Loading the cloud into CloudCompare and re-saving corrected the issue.
        Added the support for scientific notation to the To Do list, thanks for the feedback!

Originally posted by wickerman123 View Post
        I did get a crash when I scaled a cloud up by 100x (it was way too small) and hit "rebuild cloud." Here's the log from the Crash Reporter: https://pastebin.com/NW9UGGJu

Update:
        Consistently crashing when I try and scale the point cloud in the viewport or the PointCloudEditor window. I can scale and rebuild if the cloud is not in the level but as soon as I drop it in, the engine crashes.
        Interesting, never had that before. Added issue to the list, and will investigate.

Originally posted by Lands Unknown View Post
        Fixed this crash. For me, apparently, the new version doesn't work with .txt files. Importing in .xyz is fine
        There should be absolutely NO difference between TXT and XYZ, the only place where it's checked is whether to accept the import dialog request.
        Would you be willing to provide me with the source point cloud (or at least the section which caues the crash) for debugging?

Originally posted by Lands Unknown View Post
        the bug that causes lighting errors when an object's rotation is changed persists. Is there an update coming in the near future?
        I know of this bug, haven't investigated it properly yet. It's scheduled for v0.6, although not sure about the release date at this point.

Originally posted by VAD Norway View Post
        Would it be possible to expose this to google elevation api and get a real time constructor over heightmapdata?
        What do you mean?

Originally posted by xmak View Post
        I can confirm that the same point cloud file works with 0.4 version of the plugin and UE 4.19. So it's definitely a UE4.20 related bug.
        Added to the list - will investigate
        LiDAR Point Cloud Plugin: Marketplace | Project Website | Forum Thread

If you need help: join me on Discord

Comment

Hi xmak

The issue should now be resolved, please re-download the plugin and try again. If you're still experiencing problems, let me know!

Comment

wickerman123

The issue related to crashing when re-scaling a visible cloud should now be resolved

Comment

Latest improvements in runtime operations allow for blueprint-driven, dynamic generation, injection, modification and removal of points.
              Highly experimental - performance still very much sub-optimal at this point. 980Ti and 5960x@4.0 animate these 6000 points at ~55FPS

Comment

Cool plugin, works quite well so far and the results in VR are good as well. When I try to import a bigger (12gb) pointcloud, the engine crashes without error message. (except for: You do not have any debugging symbols required to display the callstack for this crash)

It's a .PTS export from Register360, renamed to .TXT. Two other pointclouds work fine, so I'll fiddle around some more. Any tips are appreciated though. Perhaps the 0.5 release with 4.20 will resolve this.

I'm hoping this plugin will become better and better and give us smooth results in VR with large pointclouds. We've got some great surveying laserscanner data that we'd like to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by Janitorus View Post
                  When I try to import a bigger (12gb) pointcloud, the engine crashes without error message.
                  It should load correctly, assuming the source file is not corrupted. The largest I've loaded was nearly 30GB. Keep in mind you may need a LOT of system RAM to keep that much data in.

(except for: You do not have any debugging symbols required to display the callstack for this crash)
                  That message means you haven't installed the debugging components for this version of the engine.

It's a .PTS export from Register360, renamed to .TXT. Two other pointclouds work fine, so I'll fiddle around some more. Any tips are appreciated though.
                  Could you send me first several lines from the file, including header (if any)? This may help me identify if there are any formatting issues.

I'm hoping this plugin will become better and better and give us smooth results in VR with large pointclouds.
                  That's definitely the idea!

Comment

I have attached the first few lines as shown through Cyclone importer. Not sure what other editor you'd recommend for opening a large .txt file, they all say the file is too large. It's a 11.2GB file and I've also got a 2.5GB reduced version (80m points), which imports fine. It was probably the point count limit that was reached and crashed it?

Also sometimes when I switch over to sprites, parts of the cloud gets cut off. I'm assuming this is because of current limitations:

CURRENT LIMITATION: For the time being, the maximum sizes per point cloud object are: Sprites: 33,554,430 Sprites LP: 67,108,860 Points: 134,217,720 Points LP: 268,435,440

We will keep a close eye on this!
                    Last edited by Janitorus; 10-10-2018, 03:30 AM.

Comment

I have attached the first few lines as shown through Cyclone importer. Not sure what other editor you'd recommend for opening a large .txt file, they all say the file is too large. It's a 11.2GB file and I've also got a 2.5GB reduced version (80m points), which imports fine. It was probably the point count limit that was reached and crashed it?

Also sometimes when I switch over to sprites, parts of the cloud gets cut off. I'm assuming this is because of current limitations:

CURRENT LIMITATION: For the time being, the maximum sizes per point cloud object are: Sprites: 33,554,430 Sprites LP: 67,108,860 Points: 134,217,720 Points LP: 268,435,440

We will keep a close eye on this!
                      Thanks, I'll have a look

This limitation only applies to v0.5, in 0.4 the limit is dictated by the VRAM of your GPU.

​​​​

Comment

Oh right! Sorry about that, I was reading 0.5 notes while I'm using version 0.4.2 of the plugin with a GTX 1080.

Comment

Janitorus To calculate how much of the point cloud you can pack in your GPU, use the breakdown below:

As Points
                          Full Precision: 20 bytes
                          Half Precision: 12 bytes

As Sprites
                          Full Precision: 88 bytes
                          Half Precision: 56 bytes

Values are per point. Current visibility of the point does not impact this, as 0.4 kept the rendering resources pre-allocated in the VRAM.

Comment

phoboz Excellent, thanks!

One pointcloud today wouldn't import, first try it crashed. After that it ran out of VRAM but that's alright. Maybe the log is useful for you:

Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)

UE4Editor_Engine
                            UE4Editor_Engine
                            UE4Editor_Engine
                            UE4Editor_PointCloudRuntime!FPointCloudSceneProxy::FPointCloudSceneProxy() [c:\users\michal\downloads\pointcloudplugin\hostproject\plugins\pointcloudplugin\source\pointcloudruntime\private\pointcloudcomponent.cpp:21]
                            UE4Editor_PointCloudRuntime!UPointCloudComponent::CreateSceneProxy() [c:\users\michal\downloads\pointcloudplugin\hostproject\plugins\pointcloudplugin\source\pointcloudruntime\private\pointcloudcomponent.cpp:130]
                            UE4Editor_Renderer
                            UE4Editor_Engine
                            UE4Editor_Engine
                            UE4Editor_Engine
                            UE4Editor_Engine
                            UE4Editor_Engine
                            UE4Editor_Engine
                            UE4Editor_PointCloudRuntime!APointCloudActor::PostEditChangeProperty() [c:\users\michal\downloads\pointcloudplugin\hostproject\plugins\pointcloudplugin\source\pointcloudruntime\private\pointcloudactor.cpp:103]
                            UE4Editor_Engine
                            UE4Editor_UnrealEd
                            UE4Editor_UnrealEd
                            UE4Editor_UnrealEd
                            UE4Editor_UnrealEd
                            UE4Editor_UnrealEd
                            UE4Editor_UnrealEd
                            UE4Editor_UnrealEd
                            UE4Editor_LevelEditor
                            UE4Editor_LevelEditor
                            UE4Editor_Slate
                            UE4Editor_Slate
                            UE4Editor_Slate
                            UE4Editor_Slate
                            UE4Editor_Slate
                            UE4Editor_ApplicationCore
                            user32
                            user32
                            UE4Editor
                            UE4Editor
                            UE4Editor
                            UE4Editor
                            UE4Editor
                            kernel32
                            ntdll

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	421.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	1538207

UE 4.21 is now supported by v0.5ea!

Comment

Originally posted by phoboz View Post

There should be absolutely NO difference between TXT and XYZ, the only place where it's checked is whether to accept the import dialog request.
                                Would you be willing to provide me with the source point cloud (or at least the section which caues the crash) for debugging?
                                After experimenting with different point cloud programs I think there's a difference in how CloudCompare converts file formats. Converting from .ply or .e57 to .txt causes a problem, converting from .ply or .e57 to .xyz doesn't. Convert from .xyz to .txt or vice versa and the file imports perfectly fine though.

Comment

Working...
                                X