No announcement yet.

[OPEN SOURCE] Not Yet: Dialogue System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks man, I am leaning torwards either option 3 or just using the dialogue system as a story board for events, and those events trigger a different system that reads data table. While the later is more simple to implement, it's messy and kinda lazy. I only know the basics of C++ so I will try to see if I can even do it in the first place before deciding.

Comment

Let me know if you have any problem with option 3.

One thing I forgot to mention is that you will need to modify FDialogueGraphNode_Details::CustomizeDetails, otherwise your variable won't be visible in the details panel.
      Just check how bIsSpeechSequenceNode is initialized and what happens in the function if it is true - that is how TArray<FDlgSpeechSequenceEntry> SpeechSequence is setup from the speech sequence node, you will have to do something like that as well.

Comment

Hi,

Huge fan of the plugin still can't believe you released this for free.

I have a small question, Just wondering what the procedure to end dialogue from a blueprint standpoint. I want to be able to end the dialogue with a button press and cant seem to figure out how to do it.

Thanks for taking the time, looking forward to your response.

Comment

If you want to terminate an ongoing dialogue just drop the dialogue context (set it with an empty setter).

Comment

Originally posted by Elathan View Post
            If you want to terminate an ongoing dialogue just drop the dialogue context (set it with an empty setter).
            Hi Elathan,

Thanks so much for getting back to me. Just tested it out, works like a charm!

Appreciate you getting back to me so quickly and supporting this free plugin so well!

Regards,

Marcus

Comment

Hi Elathan,

Another quick question, I'm working in VR currently and I can't seem to figure out how to not have dialogue disable movement and interaction.

The closest example would be with the old behaviour tree dialogue system which allowed you to select UI, Game and UI or Game only to not have the dialogue disable input from the motion controllers.

Wondering if you can help

Hi Elathan,

Another quick question, I'm working in VR currently and I can't seem to figure out how to not have dialogue disable movement and interaction.

The closest example would be with the old behaviour tree dialogue system which allowed you to select UI, Game and UI or Game only to not have the dialogue disable input from the motion controllers.

Wondering if you can help

EDIT: I found the solution! Don't worry about the reply. Was going to delete this post but i'll post what I did to solve it.

During the tutorial set up, in the Dialogue widget, it asks you to add a node called Set Input Mode UI Only. This disables the input. The solution is to either remove the node altogether or change the node to Set Input Mode Game Only. This fixes it. Works nicely now that I can now enable and disable dialogue with a press of the motion control button. : I found the solution! Don't worry about the reply. Was going to delete this post but i'll post what I did to solve it.

During the tutorial set up, in the Dialogue widget, it asks you to add a node called Set Input Mode UI Only. This disables the input. The solution is to either remove the node altogether or change the node to Set Input Mode Game Only. This fixes it. Works nicely now that I can now enable and disable dialogue with a press of the motion control button.
              Last edited by thetinger; 06-07-2018, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Hi Elathan,
                Thank you for giving your awesome dialogue plugin to us for free! I have few questions.

1.Instead of pressing NEXT (edge) in dialogue, can I use delay for how long should my sentence stay and then go to next participants sentence? Or based on audiofile duration? With possibility to skip the sentences by pressing space or mouse click? Not sure how to do it and if it is possible. I am after the type of dialogue you can find for example in The Longest journey.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	image_139798.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	1486978

2. What would be best way to implement switching camera angles if I would like to have closeups on characters and camera movement + char animations. Just with the custom events?

Thank you.
                David

Comment

Hi davidvacek,

1.) The dialogue control is in game side, and not inside the plugin - the way you proceed in the dialogues is totally up to you. You can use a timer instead of player clicking on "next" button if there is no real choice.
                  If you use audio you will have to start that manually as well - after you started/proceeded in the dialogue you have to ask for the current node text, audio file, speaker, etc. - that is the point where you can setup your timer if you want to.

2.) Using only events for those might prove to be messy. Unfortunately I can't really help you out with that one, as it is not something we need for our own games and we don't have much time we can spend on the plugin right now. I am not even sure how I would build in support for those as that is something I did not look into yet.

Good luck for your project, I hope the plugin will be useful for you.

Comment

1.) The dialogue control is in game side, and not inside the plugin...

2.) Using only events for those might prove to be messy....

Thank you Elathan for getting back to me!

1) thank you for clearing it out for me, will try to do it!

2) it is not soo important feature to have right now, means also more work on anim side , but nice to have in future...will skip it for now.

Thank you, I looked at your Warriorb project and looks really cool! Going to watch it on Steam for more updates. Plugin is definitely big help and speeds up the whole process! Before I was using dialogue by Artem Mavrin, but looks like it is not supported anymore :/.Can still build from sources, but thinking about switching to yours which is awesome alternative! I am still in pre-preproduction finding out best / easy way fitting my game needs.

Comment

I am facing a problem with this plugin, I think I already installed the plugin since the status changed from "free to owned" but I cant open project with dialogue system, anyone can help with this?
                      I am using Mac book. thank you very much.

Comment

Hi!
                        Where and how is the "long term memory" option of conditions stored?
                        The memory only seems to be cleared/reset by an editor restart, which means that it is either stored in the RAM, or in a temporary file somewhere. The memory persists when I switch maps, and even when I start/end play in editor.
                        This information would be useful for debugging/testing, and for integrating into my save system.

Comment

Originally posted by xiuwen View Post
                          I am facing a problem with this plugin, I think I already installed the plugin since the status changed from "free to owned" but I cant open project with dialogue system, anyone can help with this?
                          I am using Mac book. thank you very much.
                          Sorry, but we do not support Mac OS for the Plugin as we can't test it there, you can try to get the plugin yourself from GitLab and you try to compile it and fix potential problems, maybe even make a Pull Request with the fixes

Originally posted by Manspear View Post
                          Hi!
                          Where and how is the "long term memory" option of conditions stored?
                          The memory only seems to be cleared/reset by an editor restart, which means that it is either stored in the RAM, or in a temporary file somewhere. The memory persists when I switch maps, and even when I start/end play in editor.
                          This information would be useful for debugging/testing, and for integrating into my save system.
                          That is because the dialogue memory is a static instance, you must clear it manually in your start play/begin play for it to work properly in the Editor.
                          For C++ call UDlgManager::ClearDialogueHistory OR for BP call the function ClearDialogueHistory.
                          See example project

As for integrating into your save system, you can have a look at SetDialogueHistory (to set the dialogue history from your loaded file) or GetDialogueHistory (to save your history). If you are using C++ you can check the FDlgMemory for all the memory related stuff.
                          You can also resume a Dialogue from a point in time with ResumeDialogue.
                          Last edited by vampy_ro; 07-02-2018, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Hi davidvacek,

1.) The dialogue control is in game side, and not inside the plugin - the way you proceed in the dialogues is totally up to you. You can use a timer instead of player clicking on "next" button if there is no real choice.
                            If you use audio you will have to start that manually as well - after you started/proceeded in the dialogue you have to ask for the current node text, audio file, speaker, etc. - that is the point where you can setup your timer if you want to.

2.) Using only events for those might prove to be messy. Unfortunately I can't really help you out with that one, as it is not something we need for our own games and we don't have much time we can spend on the plugin right now. I am not even sure how I would build in support for those as that is something I did not look into yet.

Hey Elathan,

Just wondering if you could expand on how exactly we can add a timer to the dialogue nodes?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Just setup a timer the way you want in your project after the dialogue started / ChooseChild() was called.
                              If you want to setup the time for each nodes differently you would need to modify the plugin and add a float to the dialogue nodes though.

Comment

Just setup a timer the way you want in your project after the dialogue started / ChooseChild() was called.
                                If you want to setup the time for each nodes differently you would need to modify the plugin and add a float to the dialogue nodes though.
                                Thanks Elathan.

I'm assuming that we need to use code to modify the plugin and not blueprints?

I'm trying to pass a variable identifier in order to set an anim montage to play and the delay before the next dialogue begins. Could you shed some light on what the best way to achieve this would be?

Appreciate your patience and supporting this free plugin!

Comment

Working...
                                X