Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLUGIN] gFur, free shell based fur plugin

Hey everybody,

we have released our free shell based fur plugin called gFur - https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/gfur

Have fun

PS:
    - There is one crucial step (that's mentioned in the installation guide) - you have to manually (for now) copy the shader file "GFurFactory.ush" to "Epic Games\UE_4.18\Engine\Shaders\Private" or any similar path you may have on your system.
    - sample content and the standard gFur shader can be found in the Plugin folder, e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\UE_4.18\Engine\Plugins\Marketplace\GFur\Content"

When is support for Static Meshes coming, I want to make Carpets for Archviz

Comment

Great plugin, thanks for this!
      Michaell Bakalars
      Creative Director
      Sprout Concept
      www.sproutconcept.com

Comment

Originally posted by jojo8026 View Post
        When is support for Static Meshes coming, I want to make Carpets for Archviz
        Not sure at the moment, will let you know.

Comment

Thanks for that nice plugin. I'm trying to get it work with a source build of 4.18.2 Version of Unreal engine.
          It says, there are binaries missing or the version is incompatible. Do I have to build the plugin from the source and change something in the shader files? Maybe in the "Version.h", but I'm not sure how to do that.

edit: I already tested it with the standard installation of unreal. Everything is fine there. So it must be only a small version conflict.
          edit2: Managed to get it work by regenerating project files and rebuilding the source =)
          Last edited by Zhentouk; 12-18-2017, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Great you got it working
            Also thanks for the info how you did it.

Comment

No Problem. I'm currently making a toony character and adjusting the shader settings to a simple but fluffy way
              I like the physics, making the tail really fluffy. It only needs some more toony simple shaped noise file I think. Gonna do some testing with textures.
              Shrinking down ambient occlusion made it look a lot more toony.

Comment

Would you mind posting some screenshots when you are done?
                Thanks

Comment

Sure, give me a day or two for prototyping.

Comment

I'll give it a try, thanks.

Comment

SilentAndAsleep - what about the name tho?

Comment

Here's a small Vid of what I'm trying to achieve. It's just real quick example, recorded inside the unreal editor, so the fps are sometimes a little lower. The performance of the physics itself are quite good.

I changed the original gFur shader a little, making the fur at the tip longer (more fluffy =D).
                        Last edited by Zhentouk; 12-18-2017, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Shader looks good.

I guess you will figure it out by yourself, but one of the things you could try for different fluffy effect is to have "Stiffness" and "Damping" going a bit wild and then limit them with lower "Max Force" and "Max Force Torque Factor". I'm starting to think we have set those max forces a bit too high for the defaults.

Comment

Ah yes, my max force is set to 1. But I will play a little more with "Stiffness" and "Damping".
                            Originally, I tried to make a more subtle effect, like in this anime fox tail -> https://static.zerochan.net/Gon.%28G...ll.1575464.jpg
                            But that's kinda hard to make. Or maybe it's so easy, that I overlook the how it's done =)
                            But I'm pretty satisfied with the current results.

edit: I just reckognized the outlines around the fur. Maybe it looks better if I disabling those, just for the gFur stuff.
                            edit2: I'm gonna upload a 2nd video, with semi-toonish look. Look way more fluffy without those noisy outlines. Just a minute
                            Last edited by Zhentouk; 12-18-2017, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Here again without outlines and a little AO.

Need to find this guide, disabling post processing for certain objects via custom stencil.

btw: is it the normal direction of the vertices/faces, that controls the furs initial direction? Maybe, the direction interpolates between each, so I can control the "hairstyle" a little more.
                              Last edited by Zhentouk; 12-18-2017, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X