X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• started a topic [PLUGIN] gFur, free shell based fur plugin

gFur, free shell based fur plugin

Hey everybody,

we have released our free shell based fur plugin called gFur - https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/gfur

Have fun

PS:
    - There is one crucial step (that's mentioned in the installation guide) - you have to manually (for now) copy the shader file "GFurFactory.ush" to "Epic Games\UE_4.18\Engine\Shaders\Private" or any similar path you may have on your system.
    - sample content and the standard gFur shader can be found in the Plugin folder, e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\UE_4.18\Engine\Plugins\Marketplace\GFur\Content"

• replied
    I think i made a mistake, i installed gfur pro v2 and then installed gfur free version, now i don't get gfur pro grooming tools xD is there a way to repair that ?

Edit : (nvm i solved it myself)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Max = 5.0. Useful for some brushes.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    gFur PRO 2.1.2
    Strength of the brush (0.0 - 1.0)
    UIMin = "0.0", UIMax = "5.0"

Max = 1.0 or 5.0?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Both good ideas, will look into it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    By the way, GiM s.r.o. , I went ahead and bought it (really glad with how much better the quality is on things once it's possible to groom them in-engine instead of passing them back and forth.)
    I was just wondering about something:

Would it be possible to add a toggle/freeze function to the grooming tool?
    With a character I've got 1 base, full-body fur, and then a smaller hero-fur for a mane (as an example.)
    But the grooming tools groom any gfur they touch, would it be possible to have it exclude some gfur components in the scene, so that I can groom the hero-fur without it affecting the first, full-body fur?

Honestly, if it were possible to just add a freeze-tool, then that would solve this issue, and give a bit more flexibility to grooming in general.
    (With the option to freeze an entire gfur component, or just paint specific areas to be frozen.)

(I solved this by just duplicating the character, and removing the body gfur from it, so that only the hero fur was present, then groomed it separately, but it would be nice to have all the fur present for visual feedback.)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    What ax448 said is good info. The thickness, besides tiling, is also affected by the pattern of the opacity/mask texture.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TrygonLudo View Post
    Hi, I have a question :

What does influence the thickness of fur ?
    Is it directly linked to the number of polygons of the mesh ? Or it's something else ?
    I mean, can a low-poly model have same amount of hair (single hair) than a high-poly model ?

Thanks

I'm not sure if I understand your question exactly TrygonLudo , but:
    Thickness, ie how many hairs there are is based on the tiling of the opacity/fur texture mask in the material.
    The amount of polygons used in the growth mesh determines how heavy it is to render, and how polygonal the silhouette is.
    So yes, you could have a lot of hairs on either a low or high poly model. (Though the smaller/finer the fur, the more affected it is by resolution and quality-reduction over distance.)

Tiling at: 1x, 0.5x, 0.25x, 0.125x: (Same mesh/material, same amount of polys, only adjusted tiling.)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Furmantletilingcomparison.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	348.4 KB
ID:	1619826

The polygon shell itself mostly functions as the canvas for the fur material to be rendered on, so high/low polygon counts don't have a huge impact visually.
    However, if the polygon count is really low, it makes the silhouette of the fur very blocky, just like if you saw the actual LOD up close.

Mannequin LOD at, 0, 1, 2, 4: (LOD4 is only 1231 tris.)
    You can see how the fur itself doesn't change much, despite going from 41k to 1k tris.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	polycomparison.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	368.7 KB
ID:	1619825

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Aabs Inc. View Post

gFur PRO 2.1.1 = UE4.22 only?
    The last update fixed the packaging issue that was reported only on 4.22 and it even looked like 4.22 issue regarding the recent changes in engine.
    Are you experiencing the same bug on other version too?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by GiM s.r.o. View Post
    Update is out.
    gFur PRO 2.1.1 = UE4.22 only?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi, I have a question :

What does influence the thickness of fur ?
    Is it directly linked to the number of polygons of the mesh ? Or it's something else ?
    I mean, can a low-poly model have same amount of hair (single hair) than a high-poly model ?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Update is out.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Will look into it.

Ok, fixed, we have submitted another update.
    Last edited by GiM s.r.o.; 05-09-2019, 06:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Update fixes the launching of the project in unreal but packaging is still a problem.

Code:
    Module.Engine.18_of_43.cpp.obj : error LNK2005: "public: static class FShaderParametersMetadata FBoneMatricesUniformShaderParameters::StaticStructMetadata" (?StaticStructMetadata@FBoneMatricesUniformShaderParameters@@2VFShaderParametersMetadata@@A) d�j� d�fini(e) dans Module.GFur.cpp.obj
    Happens in a full blueprint project using your plugin...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by GiM s.r.o. View Post
    Update is out
    thanks for the fast work, now i can change the material parameters at runtime

Leave a comment:

Working...
X