No announcement yet.

gFur, free shell based fur plugin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks good. You could also try "Noise Strength" in "Shell Settings" for a bit of extra noise. Another thing to consider is to somehow use the emporarAA feature/node to break up the looks further.

If you are not using "Fur Guides" then yes, the vertex normal controls the initial direction.

For the most control, you could use Hair and Fur in 3dsmax or similar in other 3d packages. Most or all of them have the concept of shaping the hair/fur via spline guides. These can be exported to UE and gFur will import them correctly. You can then use those as "Fur Guides". gFur will take length and also how they are bend from those guides. The most important thing is that these guides need to "grow" from the mesh vertexes. Only those count for gFur.

Comment

Oh, I didn't see the 2nd page. Thanks a bunch for that information. The guide/spline features are really good to have. So the hair length/direction information will interpolate between verts.
      I'll definitely make some mobs/hairstyles/fur-armor with gFur. Really appreciate the possibilities the controls/settings offer me. And for the temporal AA, it doesn't fit for my toon setting, because the silhouette will "smear" the otherwise sharp look of toony characters when they move. Noise strength feature will be useful for some more detailed fur-armor I'm planning to make.
      So many ideas, don't know where to start :S Thanks for making this plugin =)

Comment

Really glad you like it and is useful to you

Comment

Love your plugin. Though I'm having difficulty making the spline guides.

What is the process of exporting Spline guides?
          What format is it?
          When you export a character with their rig to export the splines, do you only need the splines selected, the mesh with the splines, the whole animated character with the splines?
          How do you import splines correctly into UE?

Any pointers would be great!

Comment

PS4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, iOS, Android support?

Comment

DX11 hw level required, otherwise should work.
              GiM - Games in Motion

Comment

Originally posted by Draise View Post
                Love your plugin. Though I'm having difficulty making the spline guides.

What is the process of exporting Spline guides?
                What format is it?
                When you export a character with their rig to export the splines, do you only need the splines selected, the mesh with the splines, the whole animated character with the splines?
                How do you import splines correctly into UE?

Any pointers would be great!
                Sorry for the lacking manual, we plan to work on that.
                It's turning out that the splines are issues for quite a few people and it's not easy to export them. For that reason we are already working on an update that will allow you to do more or less the same via meshes.

For now - spline guides need to grow from the vertexes of the mesh. Then they need to be exported to fbx and they should be exported alone.
                Once you export them into fbx (and you can do that directly into the UE content folder) gFur will recognize the file and import it as fur guides.
                GiM - Games in Motion

Comment

When will i be able to use this on Static Meshes?

Comment

Nice looking, the fur in this gFur demo with the reindeer. The close-up in the head is very nice:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5OTCU3C7jk

Comment

Since the engine has support for per-project shaders nowadays, is there a reason why the .ush file couldn't be copied there?
                      [Submitted] Advanced Data Validation

Comment

Great plugin! Thank you for making it free~
                        I've encountered a minor problem with splines as well. I've been using Maya with Shave and Haircut plugin, which does exactly what is needed: creates guides from vertexes. But after converting guides to splines and exporting them to fbx the fur in engine just desapears. As if it doesn't pickup splines at all.
                        I've noticed you mentioned Hair and Fur in 3dsmax, so I've tried that as well...and it works!
                        Not sure what is the reason, will do more testing next week, just wanted to share so it would help other people.

Comment

So, I've been messing around with the plugin. A LOT. It's possible to export from Maya, you just need to have all curveShapes under one transform node.
                          But there is other problem. The same steps that work on cube mesh, do not work for cillindrical mesh. What could be the reason of it?
                          I've tried remodel cube to shape something similar of cillinder, and only SOME splines stopped being picked up by shader! So it's partially bald, although I'm remaking and reexporting splines anew. So it looks the shape is actually affecting if splines work or not, which I believe should be a bug or something.

I'm looking forward for new implementation of mesh controlled styling in 4.19. But I also hope it would work in 4.18 as well.

P.S. It could be much easier to debug if we could see splines in engine. HairWorks have this option.
                          Last edited by AyanMiru; 03-14-2018, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Not sure about the issues with Maya. Spline visualization for debugging purposes is a good idea, will see if we can get that in.

Fur generation via meshes is already done and working. We want to release the update this week and the mesh generation will be updated in UE 4.16 - 4.19.

Comment

http://gim.studio/gfur-user-manual/#...-6f0a3b4f-9d00
                              > For full source code access, you have to register on GitHub and send your user name to “gfur.source@gim.studio”.

gfur.source@gim.studio
                              The email account does not exist.
                              Last edited by Aabs Inc.; 03-22-2018, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Ah, tiny mistake
                                gfur@gim.studio should work

Comment

Working...
                                X