[FREE] Launchpad - A free, open-source UE4-compatible game launcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Demarii View Post
    I've done a little testing and have a question/suggestion and also seeing a bug or two.

There appears to be two bugs in the current Update Function. Unlike the Repair function it is replacing (downloading) all the files in the manifest whether they are different or not. The repair function will only replace files that are missing are different size/hash. Also the update function doesn't seem to finish properly, at the last file the status goes "Idle" but the last file downloaded from the manifest remains listed above that and the primary button stays a grey'd out "Updating". You have to close the launcher and restart it to be able to attempt to launch again. I'm guessing that Update should act much like Repair in that it only updates the files that don't match manifest.

As for my questions...
    - Is the only way to trigger the Repair mode having the application fail to start? Is it possible the launcher could think the game is working/ok but really its crashing, and the user would like to be able to try a repair? I thought I saw in a screenshot there was a "verify install" button over the Primary one, but I've not seen this, has this been removed or changed or only appear under a certain case?
    - Does the manifest get checked (or fetched and then checked) every time the launcher starts, or just when the GameVersion doesn't not equal the servers version? It appears only when GameVersion changes but I'm not 100% certain.

As for the suggestion...
    - Something I think would be useful is having one more level of directory nesting based on the Game listed in the configuration, that way one ftp server could provide the binaries for a teams multiple game projects simply by modifying that field. (/srv/ftp/game/<GameName>/<platform>/...) as example.

Great work, it was very straight forward to get setup and even with the update issues its going to be a great benefit to pushing out test builds.
    Fixed most of the issues

At the moment, Repair mode can't be triggered without the game crashing or the executable being missing. It's a little cumbersome, and I plan on adding a proper option for it. However, I've moved to Linux full-time now, which will make Windows UI updates a little difficult. I hope to move the Windows UI to GTK as well, but the changelog browser is tricky to get right.

The manifest is only fetched if there's no local copy of it, or if the remote checksum is different than the local one. It's a little bit of network optimization

As for your suggestion, I've played with the thought, but I ended up deciding to stick to the single-game model. Still, it wouldn't be difficult for a team that needs multiple games in one launcher to implement the functionality, seeing as the backend should be flexible enough to allow that with only minor changes. Something for a fork, perhaps? :P
    Talk to me on qTox: E8FF4A2B55C2C3A8BC7B60F729E8884BF95CEB4FE8906AE76F5941B08E73066AF562A26C280B
    Stalk me on the IRC: jarl or jargon
    Need a launcher for your games? Check out Launchpad

Comment

Nm... Thought there was an issue but I think I jumped the gun, will do a bit more testing.
      Last edited by Demarii; 11-02-2015, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Demarii View Post
        Nm... Thought there was an issue but I think I jumped the gun, will do a bit more testing.
        I saw the original message - what you've just experienced is the launcher's self update function It's a touch opaque, will improve it in a future release.
        Talk to me on qTox: E8FF4A2B55C2C3A8BC7B60F729E8884BF95CEB4FE8906AE76F5941B08E73066AF562A26C280B

Comment

hehe yep that was it! I didn't notice another launchpad had opened up behind it after and that one was functioning as intended. Was going to come back and suggest the process be a bit more obvious as it is confusing to the end user who feels its either crashed or not working as intended. It's pretty awesome that the launcher updates itself if needed on startup!

I guess its not really necessary to have the launcher section of the ftp unless you are planning to roll a modified version of the launchpad that you want it to update against instead of provided one?

Comment

Hey I pulled the project down from github but Visual Studio is complaining about being unable to open Launchpad.Translations.mdproj

Code:
            Unsupported
            This version of Visual Studio is unable to open the following projects. The project types may not be installed or this version of Visual Studio may not support them. 
            For more information on enabling these project types or otherwise migrating your assets, please see the details in the "Migration Report" displayed after clicking OK.
            	 - Launchpad.Translations, "C:\Users\Dev\Documents\Unreal Projects\Launchpad\Launchpad.Translations\Launchpad.Translations.mdproj"

No changes required
            These projects can be opened in Visual Studio 2013, Visual Studio 2012, and Visual Studio 2010 SP1 without changing them.
            	 - Launchpad.Launcher, "C:\Users\Dev\Documents\Unreal Projects\Launchpad\Launchpad.Launcher\Launchpad.Launcher.csproj"
            	 - Launchpad.Utilities, "C:\Users\Dev\Documents\Unreal Projects\Launchpad\Launchpad.Utilities\Launchpad.Utilities.csproj"
            	 - Launchpad, "C:\Users\Dev\Documents\Unreal Projects\Launchpad\Launchpad.sln"
            Any idea what is wrong?
            Last edited by Mentos; 11-29-2015, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mentos View Post
              Hey I pulled the project down from github but Visual Studio is complaining about being unable to open Launchpad.Translations.mdproj

Code:
              Unsupported
              This version of Visual Studio is unable to open the following projects. The project types may not be installed or this version of Visual Studio may not support them. 
              For more information on enabling these project types or otherwise migrating your assets, please see the details in the "Migration Report" displayed after clicking OK.
              	 - Launchpad.Translations, "C:\Users\Dev\Documents\Unreal Projects\Launchpad\Launchpad.Translations\Launchpad.Translations.mdproj"

No changes required
              These projects can be opened in Visual Studio 2013, Visual Studio 2012, and Visual Studio 2010 SP1 without changing them.
              	 - Launchpad.Launcher, "C:\Users\Dev\Documents\Unreal Projects\Launchpad\Launchpad.Launcher\Launchpad.Launcher.csproj"
              	 - Launchpad.Utilities, "C:\Users\Dev\Documents\Unreal Projects\Launchpad\Launchpad.Utilities\Launchpad.Utilities.csproj"
              	 - Launchpad, "C:\Users\Dev\Documents\Unreal Projects\Launchpad\Launchpad.sln"
              Any idea what is wrong?
              Heya!

The *.Translations project is a Monodevelop project for GNU gettext files - Visual Studio does not support this project type. The launcher will compile just fine without it, but you may have to manually copy some translations if you want to distribute for Linux computers.

Comment

Hey Jargon, thanks again for this project, it's really helped us a lot for Ethereal Legends.

I can't remember if I asked you this through email a while back, but I ran into an issue where the built version of my launcher must be run as an administrator. I'm only targeting 64-bit Windows at the moment, and I compiled and built the launcher project on a Windows machine. It's not really a huge deal, since everything works exceptionally well when the launcher is run as administrator. But it won't run at all otherwise. Do you have any suggestions? I figure it's a setting in Inno script somewhere, but the only permission settings I could find in there seemed to have no effect (it's been a couple months since I've looked, though).

As an aside, how difficult do you think it would be to add an estimated download completion percentage to the UI?

Comment

Originally posted by Soverance View Post
                  Hey Jargon, thanks again for this project, it's really helped us a lot for Ethereal Legends.

I can't remember if I asked you this through email a while back, but I ran into an issue where the built version of my launcher must be run as an administrator. I'm only targeting 64-bit Windows at the moment, and I compiled and built the launcher project on a Windows machine. It's not really a huge deal, since everything works exceptionally well when the launcher is run as administrator. But it won't run at all otherwise. Do you have any suggestions? I figure it's a setting in Inno script somewhere, but the only permission settings I could find in there seemed to have no effect (it's been a couple months since I've looked, though).

As an aside, how difficult do you think it would be to add an estimated download completion percentage to the UI?
                  Hm. I'm uncertain why it would fail like that - could you try debugging it from the install location and seeing if it's failing some sort of security check? Writing to Program Files or something - I suspect that the Inno installer has set the folder permissions incorrectly and that the normal user isn't owning the launcher folder as it should. Check those and get back to me

Estimated time to completion should be doable, but I'll leave it until I drop the WinForms UI in favor of a full GTK+ UI.

Comment

I got around to making it work - Thanks a lot! (I forgot to set LauncherVersion.txt to 0.1.0 and it took me longer to figure out than I'd like to admit. Lessons learned...)

Thanks!

Metahusk: A 501(c)(3) Creative Development Cooperative
                    Projects | Forums | Repositories | Nonprofit | Donate

Comment

I am also having the "run as admin" problem after using the Inno installer. I will reply if I discover the issue.

Edit: I looked into if it was caused by guids. I don't think that is the case. It didn't fix the issue. I am on a domain controller. I will try it on multiple computers and see if it's a specific issue to my domain.
                      Last edited by Parvan; 12-22-2015, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Oh, I have one simple suggestion.

I changed the "failed to connect to FTP... check your ftp settings" to "Failed to connect to the update server. Please try again." I think something like this sounds better to the end users. (And those implementing it will likely check their ftp settings if they get connectivity issues.)

I noticed the program likes to fail the FTP connection test every once in a while. My server side ftp logs aren't reporting a failed connection attempt. I wonder what is causing this? Maybe more retries will help?

Thanks for your hard work!

Comment

Originally posted by Parvan View Post
                          I am also having the "run as admin" problem after using the Inno installer. I will reply if I discover the issue.

Edit: I looked into if it was caused by guids. I don't think that is the case. It didn't fix the issue. I am on a domain controller. I will try it on multiple computers and see if it's a specific issue to my domain.
                          I am also on a domain network, but I'm relatively certain it's not an issue with (at least) our domain as a handful of players reported the "run as admin" issue to me when we released our pre-alpha demo using Launchpad, and while I didn't ask, it's unlikely those players are using the software on domain connected machines.

I haven't yet had the opportunity to fully debug this issue (as it's a simple workaround and not really critical), but I plan on looking back into it here soon.

Comment

Forgive me if this is a simple question, but how exactly is this built cross platform? I am using Monodevelop (via Xamarin on my Mac) and it always outputs an exe. Can't seem to find where to change it to a mac/linux output. Am I missing something simple?

Edit: I think I figured out how the mono stuff works, but I am running into errors. First I had a dbus-sharp issue, so I built the dll and included it and now I am getting a webkit dll error. Has anyone had success building on Mac?

My specific error is:

Code:
                            [ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'WebKit.WebView' threw an exception. ---> System.DllNotFoundException: webkit-1.0
                            Thanks!
                            Last edited by Ninjacoder; 01-02-2016, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Hi Jargon,

Is there a mobile version for LaunchPad (IOS/Android)?

Comment

Hello.

Building with VS2015 Community I had a little bit of trouble building this initially. Can you confirm the dependencies for this? I am afraid my efforts were not quite scientific and I need to make certain coworkers can duplicate the build.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X