[FREE] Launchpad - A free, open-source UE4-compatible game launcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Michael,

I'm unsure where you got Java from - Launchpad is written in C#. As for where I learnt it, it was a combination of frantic googling and generic interest. I'd suggest searching for some online tutorials and browsing through the source of open programs to learn styles and tricks.
    Talk to me on qTox: E8FF4A2B55C2C3A8BC7B60F729E8884BF95CEB4FE8906AE76F5941B08E73066AF562A26C280B
    Stalk me on the IRC: jarl or jargon
    Need a launcher for your games? Check out Launchpad

Comment

Hey,

Instead of using FTP why don't you use libtorrent?
      http://www.libtorrent.org/
      It's a lot faster than FTP. And takes less resources if your player count is huge.

Comment

Hey Azarus,

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely look into it, although it would involve me learning a new protocol P2P downloading has been a hope for me, but I haven't had the energy to take a closer look.
        Talk to me on qTox: E8FF4A2B55C2C3A8BC7B60F729E8884BF95CEB4FE8906AE76F5941B08E73066AF562A26C280B

Comment

This is amazing, thank you very, very much for this my kind sir!

Comment

I have a possibly silly question: Is this Windows only or is it simple to port over to Linux / Mac?
            KITATUS
            "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

Comment

Originally posted by KitatusStudios View Post
              I have a possibly silly question: Is this Windows only or is it simple to port over to Linux / Mac?
              I am actually in the process of making it cross-compatible at the moment The build you can download here on the thread sort of runs, since it's C# (Mono and all that) but it has issues and crashes. The Unix version uses GTK, and is available on the Linux branch on GitHub. It does not yet work, since I decided to take some time to refactor and get some better threading in it for speed and stability.

So in short, Linux and Mac on the way from GitHub, Windows download here.

Comment

Excellent! Thank-you! I was hoping to use this with Windows Azure; The only things that's holding me back is the Linux / Mac stuff. Once you've got that covered over; Then I'll be on happy gamedev!

Thanks so much for doing this; I see we both have similar intentions by doing what we can to help to community; I'd love to add this in one of my tutorial books (In the section of packaging the end project), Are you alright with me linking to this thread / the plugin in one of my books? If not, Just give me a hollar and let me know!

Edit: This is my 666 post; Bad omen right there! :P
                KITATUS
                "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

Comment

Originally posted by KitatusStudios View Post
                  Excellent! Thank-you! I was hoping to use this with Windows Azure; The only things that's holding me back is the Linux / Mac stuff. Once you've got that covered over; Then I'll be on happy gamedev!

Thanks so much for doing this; I see we both have similar intentions by doing what we can to help to community; I'd love to add this in one of my tutorial books (In the section of packaging the end project), Are you alright with me linking to this thread / the plugin in one of my books? If not, Just give me a hollar and let me know!

Edit: This is my 666 post; Bad omen right there! :P
                  Dun dun dun! Don't worry, I would be happy to have a link in your book The setup process should simplify quite a bit in the near future (You can take a look in the Scripts folder on the Linux branch), and there are going to be some changes such as different folders for different builds on the server.

Comment

Originally posted by Jargon View Post
                    Hey Azarus,

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely look into it, although it would involve me learning a new protocol P2P downloading has been a hope for me, but I haven't had the energy to take a closer look.

Or at least use HTTP & Compression. I think FTP is too much headache.

Comment

Question asked out of curiosity... so this package is meant to be used for players to update their game as updates are released? I was just trying to see if once we had a game built, we could independently add new levels (say someone creates one in UE4) that the game will see and be able to read/use. But I think that might be different than the purpose of this launcher.
                      Acclivity Game Studios. Making a BP FPS, Tutorial Series on Blog : On Unreal Wiki : Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by arbopa View Post
                        Question asked out of curiosity... so this package is meant to be used for players to update their game as updates are released? I was just trying to see if once we had a game built, we could independently add new levels (say someone creates one in UE4) that the game will see and be able to read/use. But I think that might be different than the purpose of this launcher.
                        Hey, sorry for not replying earlier - I didn't get an email. While Launchpad is meant as a standard "install-update-play" launcher, I believe it could still be used as you describe it! You'd just release those new maps as a new game version, and Launchpad would download them.

Comment

Quick update on Unix compatibility - it's coming along! The Unix launcher now runs great in GTK. There's a lot more async stuff going on, so it should be faster and more stable on Unix than on Windows now :P Don't worry, Windows will get some love as soon as I release the Unix patch. It's via mono, so it's all the same executable

I've gone and sidetracked a bit as well, and I'm now developing a wizard-style tool that should simplify uploading games and updates server-side - no more manual file editing! Just point it to a folder, fill in some metadata and you're good to go. It's not complete, but you can grab a dev build off of my github: https://github.com/Nihlus/Launchpad_Utils/tree/linux
                          Expect more updates in the coming days

Comment

Thanks for the response. I will have to look into it deeper when I get a chance. Thanks again for all your work.
                            Acclivity Game Studios. Making a BP FPS, Tutorial Series on Blog : On Unreal Wiki : Twitch

Comment

This is pretty sweet! Thanks so much for your work! I'm going to try it out.

Metahusk: A 501(c)(3) Creative Development Cooperative
                              Projects | Forums | Repositories | Nonprofit | Donate

Comment

I've tried this and it hangs after one mb downloaded. Though I have a feeling that it's my server not the launcher

Comment

Working...
                                X