[FREE] Launchpad - A free, open-source UE4-compatible game launcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice tool!

I want to suggest to add the option to download via GoogleStorage buckets, you can currently signup for a 60 days trial with 300$ credits. Google advertises "nearline" buckets for gaming, https://cloud.google.com/storage-nearline/ and https://cloud.google.com/solutions/gaming/

Not sure if you can facilitate meta data, but the launcher files could be tagged with meta data, once deployed in a "GoogleStorage Bucket"
    Click image for larger version

Name:	bucket.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1104954
    You can setup a debian 7 or 8 automatically with the GoogleCloud ComputeEngine, i installed your vsftp there, but i think distribution would be easier/faster via the mentioned nearline buckets.

ps. The launcher i downloaded works here, but the utility doesn't. I guess i just need a checksum generator alternatively.
    Last edited by unit23; 04-20-2016, 02:44 PM.
    [LEGENDS of EPICA][Twitter][FB][YT][Vimeo][Reallusion Technical Expert]

Comment

Originally posted by unit23 View Post
      Nice tool!

I want to suggest to add the option to download via GoogleStorage buckets, you can currently signup for a 60 days trial with 300$ credits. Google advertises "nearline" buckets for gaming, https://cloud.google.com/storage-nearline/ and https://cloud.google.com/solutions/gaming/

Not sure if you can facilitate meta data, but the launcher files could be tagged with meta data, once deployed in a "GoogleStorage Bucket"
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]89642[/ATTACH]
      You can setup a debian 7 or 8 automatically with the GoogleCloud ComputeEngine, i installed your vsftp there, but i think distribution would be easier/faster via the mentioned nearline buckets.

ps. The launcher i downloaded works here, but the utility doesn't. I guess i just need a checksum generator alternatively.
      Oh, that's interesting. I'm definitely going to have a closer look at that.

As for the utility, try running it in batch mode via the command line. I'm not sure why it's not working properly on Windows. Runs fine on Unix.
      In order to run it in batch mode, run it with a "-b" switch at the command line. Use "-m [Game|Launcher]" to select the manifest type, and "-d <directory>" to select the directory that the manifest should be generated for.
      Talk to me on qTox: E8FF4A2B55C2C3A8BC7B60F729E8884BF95CEB4FE8906AE76F5941B08E73066AF562A26C280B
      Stalk me on the IRC: jarl or jargon
      Need a launcher for your games? Check out Launchpad

Comment

an option to switch from ftp to http would be nice

Comment

Originally posted by Jargon View Post
          While we sorted it in Discord, I'll reply here as well for everyone else The released utility generator was a bit broken, but I've fixed it and it now works as intended again.
          nop. a version loaded to github as exe just insta crashes. and the version builded from source does not react to button "build game manifest"

Comment

Originally posted by Swdan View Post
            an option to switch from ftp to http would be nice
            That's already in the latest version - just change the protocol used in the config file.
            Talk to me on qTox: E8FF4A2B55C2C3A8BC7B60F729E8884BF95CEB4FE8906AE76F5941B08E73066AF562A26C280B

Comment

I've done some troubleshooting for the utility application, and it should hopefully now work. If you're having issues with it, please try redownloading it. Additionally, make sure you've installed the GTK# runtime. You need it!

Comment

I've released a small bugfix update that fixes some issues with the update process. Thanks to Speechless and Hellfalcon in the Discord chat for helping me troubleshoot!

Comment

Spent some time on this again today. For anyone packaging and distributing this project on Windows that has run into the issue where your launcher always requires users to right click and "run as administrator"...

I have found a solution!

First, you need to add a new Application Manifest File to the project in Visual Studio.

Project -> Add New Item -> Application Manifest File

You'll then change the <requestedExecutionLevel> element to:

Code:
                  <requestedExecutionLevel level="requireAdministrator" uiAccess="false" />
                  This will basically force the application to run as an administrator, and anyone running the program without proper authority will now receive the Windows UAC prompt.

Finally, ensure that your project is set to use your newly created app.manifest file by checking the "Application" tab of the project's properties. There's a dropdown menu labeled "Manifest", and you should select the one you just created.

Build the project as usual.

Now, when inside Inno Script, before you compile your distributable exe, you need to make a few changes to the script.

First, add this line to the Setup section:

Code:
                  [Setup]
                  PrivilegesRequired=admin
                  Finally, you'll need to add "runascurrentuser" flags to each command in the "Run" section. Mine look like this:

Code:
                  [Run]
                  Filename: "msiexec.exe"; Parameters: "/i ""{tmp}\gtk-sharp-2.12.26.msi"" /qn"; Flags: runascurrentuser;
                  Filename: "{app}\{#MyAppExeName}"; Description: "{cm:LaunchProgram,{#StringChange(MyAppName, '&', '&&')}}"; Flags: runascurrentuser nowait postinstall skipifsilent
                  That should do it. Hit compile in Inno Script, and it'll finish doing it's thing.

Now when you distribute this .exe to users, they'll get an initial UAC prompt when first installing the launcher, and then they won't be asked for admin credentials again and the program won't just fail to open. Subsequent opens of the launcher program will give another UAC prompt.

I hope that's helpful!

Comment

Originally posted by Soverance View Post
                    -snip-
                    Superb, thank you! Since I develop on Linux where manifests aren't used, could you send me the one you generated? There's no option for it in MonoDevelop, sadly Sending me it here, via PM or as a pull request works - the latter would be best.

Comment

a pull request works
                      I got you, thanks so much!

Comment

Hey! This launcher is great.
                        Can you help me implementing it with the GoogleDrive API so I can use GoogleDrive instead of a normal FTP?
                        The thing is that GoogleDrive gives you a fast and big storage service.

I'v been searching for a free alternative ( an ftp server ) but everything is either too small, too slow or to expansive.
                        And GoogleDrive are giving fast 15gb ( which is pretty much enough for indie games ).

I'v been using their service for a long time for storage, sharing, downloading files.
                        It will be really great to be able to use it in the launcher.

It seems like I need to replace all the FTP functionality with the Google Drive API functionality.
                        I'v found a nice tutorial about it here:
                        http://www.daimto.com/google-drive-authentication-c/

I have no experience with ftp and networks.
                        Last edited by Sahkan; 05-19-2016, 02:27 PM.
                        Check out my game OldSchool Nightmare : http://www.indiedb.com/games/oldschool-nightmare

Comment

Originally posted by Sahkan View Post
                          Can you help me implementing it with the GoogleDrive API so I can use GoogleDrive instead of a normal FTP?

I'v been searching for a free alternative ( an ftp server ) but everything is either too small, too slow or to expansive.
                          And GoogleDrive are giving fast 15gb ( which is pretty much enough for indie games ).
                          +1, I can't afford ftp storage as well! Very interested in this
                          -Josh Steinhauer ~ HERO ~ My Blog ~ My Twitter

Comment

Hey! This launcher is great.
                            The thing is that GoogleDrive gives you a fast and big storage service.

I'v been using their service for a long time for storage, sharing, downloading files.
                            It will be really great to be able to use it in the launcher.

It seems like I need to replace all the FTP functionality with the Google Drive API functionality.
                            I'v found a nice tutorial about it here:
                            http://www.daimto.com/google-drive-authentication-c/

I have no experience with ftp and networks.
                            Hi Sahkan,

Implementing this as a protocol handler would probably not be very difficult with the new changes to the launcher. However, I would recommend having a look at Amazon S3 buckets, Google Cloud Storage or a VPS server instead of Google Drive. There are data rate limitations when using that, and game can easily crack the 15 GB limit.

However, I'll look into it. I'm currently in the process of compiling a list of protocols I'd like to support - I'll add Drive to it.

Comment

Hi Sahkan,

Implementing this as a protocol handler would probably not be very difficult with the new changes to the launcher. However, I would recommend having a look at Amazon S3 buckets, Google Cloud Storage or a VPS server instead of Google Drive. There are data rate limitations when using that, and game can easily crack the 15 GB limit.

However, I'll look into it. I'm currently in the process of compiling a list of protocols I'd like to support - I'll add Drive to it.
                              Thanks!

I was looking at amazon s3 and not at google cloud too.
                              They both require you to insert your credit card and they will charge you if you someone pass the free limits.
                              My packed project at the moment is taking about 2.6gb so I don't need more than 15gb at the moment.
                              I'm looking forward for the release with the googledrive support.

Have any idea when it will be ready?
                              Check out my game OldSchool Nightmare : http://www.indiedb.com/games/oldschool-nightmare

Comment

Thanks!

I was looking at amazon s3 and not at google cloud too.
                                They both require you to insert your credit card and they will charge you if you someone pass the free limits.
                                My packed project at the moment is taking about 2.6gb so I don't need more than 15gb at the moment.
                                I'm looking forward for the release with the googledrive support.

Have any idea when it will be ready?
                                No ETA - there's some stuff I have to sort out with it first. Maybe one-two weeks, but that's just me guessing. You can check out the GitHub issues for planned protocols and current progress.

Comment

Working...
                                X