SteamVoicePlugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLUGIN] SteamVoicePlugin

SteamVoicePlugin gives you the power of making in-game voice communication using Blueprints. This plugin will only work with the Online Subsystem Steam. It does not have a playback feature and it should only be used with Steam Sessions (tested with Steam Sessions). All you have to do is integrating Steam into your project and adding a component into your player blueprint. From this component, you need to call two functions (StartSteamVoice / StopSteamVoice). It is impossible doing in-game voice communication using Blueprints without having my plugin enabled.
    SteamVoicePlugin is a code plugin that contains an actor component you need to add to the player blueprint whenever you decide to implement in-game voice communication. This actor component contains two functions and some debugging. For example, whenever you call StartSteamVoice from the actor component, it will print a text to the log (press "~" and type "showlog") saying: "I am talking.". The same for the StopSteamVoice function. Also, if (for some reason, never happened when I tested) the player controller is invalid, the plugin will not work (PlayerController is equal to a cast to the player controller). If you are not in a session when using the plugin or you don't have Steam enabled, the plugin won't work. For seeing how to implement Steam, implement SteamVoicePlugin and how to use this plugin, check out this tutorial: https://youtu.be/LvOr9HHnGz0 or the documentation: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B10...ew?usp=sharing

Yes, I love it!
    76.47%
    No, it is not so useful for me...
    23.53%
    Last edited by Midsoft Games; 08-01-2017, 10:27 AM.

This is an awesome and potentially super useful plugin for my project (I'm sure this will be helpful for many others as well). However, you need to do one of two things before anyone can use it for anything other than personal testing:

A) Either you are planning on making the plugin free and should put it on GitHub or a similar service with a permissive license like the popular MIT License.

or

B) You are planning on selling it and you should put the project on the marketplace so that (again) the plugin has a clear and well defined license for those using it.

Currently by default you own full copyright of the source and nobody in their right mind would put your plugin in their project without leaving themselves at high legal risk. Please consider clearly defining the licensing terms so that it can truly become useful to everyone.

Thanks!
    Last edited by TacoShank; 07-31-2017, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Thank you for finding this plugin useful!
      I will definetly consider your suggestion. By tomorrow, it should be on Github. You can use this plugin for commercial, non commercial or personal use. This plugin is free. May I ask if you have encountered any problems with my plugin? Like when packaging your project and then testing it? Also, I only build and packaged this plugin for Win64. It might not work for Win32 or any other platform. In the near future, I will also build and package it for Win32. If you have Win32 and you are hurrying up, you could build and package the plugin for Win32 by yourself. All you have to do is copying the plugin over a new C++ based project root/Plugins (make a new folder named "Plugins" if there is not one already there), then open YourNewPlugin.sln, set the build configuration in Visual Studio to Shipping, Win32 (this is how I built it, I built it for Shipping, so I assume it will not work for a development version of the build). Click on the project solution in the tab over right and then, go to Build -> Rebuild All (if you don't click on the solution, it will also build the engine). After you rebuilt, in UE4, go to Edit -> Plugins and click on the plugin, then package the plugin and copy it to UE4/Engine/Plugins.

Comment

Originally posted by Midsoft Inc. View Post
        Thank you for finding this plugin useful!
        I will definetly consider your suggestion. By tomorrow, it should be on Github. You can use this plugin for commercial, non commercial or personal use. This plugin is free. May I ask if you have encountered any problems with my plugin? Like when packaging your project and then testing it? Also, I only build and packaged this plugin for Win64. It might not work for Win32 or any other platform. In the near future, I will also build and package it for Win32. If you have Win32 and you are hurrying up, you could build and package the plugin for Win32 by yourself. All you have to do is copying the plugin over a new C++ based project root/Plugins (make a new folder named "Plugins" if there is not one already there), then open YourNewPlugin.sln, set the build configuration in Visual Studio to Shipping, Win32 (this is how I built it, I built it for Shipping, so I assume it will not work for a development version of the build). Click on the project solution in the tab over right and then, go to Build -> Rebuild All (if you don't click on the solution, it will also build the engine). After you rebuilt, in UE4, go to Edit -> Plugins and click on the plugin, then package the plugin and copy it to UE4/Engine/Plugins.
        Sounds great! I don't think I'm going to have time today to try integrating the plugin, but I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Also my project is on 4.17 so I wasn't sure what kind of issues I would run into in terms of compatibility.

Comment

Is 4.17 fully released? Because I will update it to 4.17 after its fully release unfortunately. I will try to update it to 4.17 if you need it real quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Midsoft Inc. View Post
            Is 4.17 fully released? Because I will update it to 4.17 after its fully release unfortunately. I will try to update it to 4.17 if you need it real quick.
            I appreciate it but there is no need to rush for me. I figured you would be waiting until the full release of 4.17 to update the plugin. I'm a ways off from release so I'll be fine waiting a little while!

Comment

OK, then! Glad you found this plugin useful! Write on this thread if you will encounter any problems when you use it.

Comment

I added the license and the plugin is also on Github.
                License:
                License.txt

Steam Voice Plugin on Github

Comment

Neat plugin, very useful.
                  Few questions real quick :

Is this a global voice chat? As in anyone on the server can hear you?
                  Is this a local voice chat, so, only people in X range can hear you?
                  Is this able to be split into channels? ie: guild, group, etc?
                  Is there a way to edit the range of the voice chat from the player that is talking at the time?
                  Founder and CEO of Angry Penguin Studio, LLC
                  Dallas, TX USA
                  https://www.facebook.com/AngryPenguinStudios

Comment

Might as well throw in my own question: Could you implement positional/3D for the component so voice chat can be spatialized?
                    Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

Yes, this is a global voice chat. No, it isn't a local voice chat. No, it isn't able to be split in channels. No, there isn't a way to edit the range of the voice chat.

Comment

Soon, it might be implemented.

Comment

What's stopping you from using USoundWaveProcedural with an audio component? Then you would have access to everything like fade in and out, volume adjustment ect? then you could control each component on the character?
                          Idk i am just thinking out loud.
                          Last edited by SaxonRah; 08-03-2017, 03:31 PM.
                          Youtube
                          Machine Learning C++ Plugin
                          Lindenmayer System C++ Plugin

Comment

Nothing is stopping me. That is what I had in mind. But, now, I am on vacation and I don't really have time for it. When I will update this plugin to 4.16.3 and 4.17, I will also add these features.

Comment

This is awesome!
                              Can't wait to install it

Comment

Working...
                              X