Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AP_Studios View Post

I am interested in the code.
    I have been waiting for a reply about network impact, or, general impact of this plugin. I didnt get a reply back, so, i figure i may as well jsut add it myself and see if there is anything negative, or, how much negative (everything has impact).
    This is working for 4.18?
    Okay, I find out the best way, I modified only slightly a .h and a .cpp and added a really short class, so I can post it here or create a github fork...
    I use it in a UE4.17 project, but should be okay with 4.18 as well.
    My project is multiplayer, I have experienced no network load at all, it should work on server only, because all AI normally runs on server.
    And because of the offline generation, and the async update I added its performance impact is minimal, but I will definitely test it this week (I have to decide to keep it or not).
    Its creator is apparently more active on youtube, I was able to contact to him, he normally answers within a few days, but said to be quite busy recently...
    "Age of Total Heroes" - RTS Pathfinding and Movement System for UE4
    RTS Camera C++ Tutorial

Comment

Originally posted by sivan View Post

Okay, I find out the best way, I modified only slightly a .h and a .cpp and added a really short class, so I can post it here or create a github fork...
      I use it in a UE4.17 project, but should be okay with 4.18 as well.
      My project is multiplayer, I have experienced no network load at all, it should work on server only, because all AI normally runs on server.
      And because of the offline generation, and the async update I added its performance impact is minimal, but I will definitely test it this week (I have to decide to keep it or not).
      Its creator is apparently more active on youtube, I was able to contact to him, he normally answers within a few days, but said to be quite busy recently...
      Oh sweet, yeah, sounds great man, i am excited!
      I'm running multiplayer as well, i want to use this for players. Dedicated server situation, so, as little impact as possible is perfect lol.
      If we want to reach out to the primary DEV for this and have him add what you did, then, push out a 4.18 ... that would be awesome, but, i can do without all that if the dev doesn't have time ...

EDIT:

Added this to my current 4.18 project and everything went in fine. No issues with anything as far as i can tell. I added it, you know just for fun, to a massive openworld filled city. It actually does an amazing job at locating hiding places around everything. Every door, every window has clear fire from it, every usable tree and fence and ... everything. Great work.

I am having an issue adding the functionality to the player character as well as the AI. This is less for AI then it is for the players to use the cover system, so, i was wondering if there is a quick "how to" on adding this to the player character.

I have all the anims i would need for it but i dont know how to add the "use cover system" to the player character...
      Last edited by AP_Studios; 11-09-2017, 09:29 AM.
      Founder and CEO of Angry Penguin Studio, LLC
      Dallas, TX USA
      https://www.facebook.com/AngryPenguinStudios

Comment

bump ..

Any tutorial on adding this into the player char so they actually can use the cover system?
        Dallas, TX USA

Comment

Hi,

I'm interested in the file you create to make everything run smoothly async.
          Does your test run fine?

thanks

Comment

Yes, I was too busy last week with something else, but will share it here tomorrow (according to CET time zone). Pm me if I forget it I would be happy if you test it with large complex levels, I'm curious how it can handle frequent and multiple navmesh updates that can happen in a game, maybe partial updates should be implemented...
            RTS Camera C++ Tutorial

Comment

luckily, I could have made it a bit earlier than promised, here is my fork: https://github.com/s-ivan/CoverGenerator-UE4
              btw, I made a pull request on GitHub, 1st in my life
              only CoverGenerator.h and .cpp are modified a bit, and GenerateCoversAsync.h and .cpp added.
              RTS Camera C++ Tutorial

Comment

luckily, I could have made it a bit earlier than promised, here is my fork: https://github.com/s-ivan/CoverGenerator-UE4
                btw, I made a pull request on GitHub, 1st in my life
                only CoverGenerator.h and .cpp are modified a bit, and GenerateCoversAsync.h and .cpp added.
                awesome i will check this out when i get home tonight ..
                also, for the player, how do i get them to use the cover??
                Dallas, TX USA

Comment

for the human player?
                  RTS Camera C++ Tutorial

Comment

for the human player?
                    yes thats correct
                    Dallas, TX USA

Comment

no idea, players normally look around and find proper places easier, brain is a very advanced non-artificial-intelligence system I have never seen a cover system for players. why do you need it?
                      RTS Camera C++ Tutorial

Comment

no idea, players normally look around and find proper places easier, brain is a very advanced non-artificial-intelligence system I have never seen a cover system for players. why do you need it?
                        To be able to cover at the points created.
                        Much like how the AI does. I am thinking this can be used in a cover system for the player itself, and, not the AI.
                        So if i can tell the player "press Q, it will take appropriate cover to whatever it is you are covering next to/behind"

In the video, it looks like all the AI are using cover, then the player is able to as well.
                        on death, he switches to possess an AI and is able to use cover.
                        Dallas, TX USA

Comment

imo you need then to use an AIController to control the player character temporarily, then you can run the EQS in the BT... but probably possible to write a code to find nearby cover points and then evaluate them according to the direction stored, and the direction(s) of incoming attack(s), and then suggest a proper location to the player...
                          RTS Camera C++ Tutorial

Comment

So this is for AI only setups, sad.
                            Dallas, TX USA

Comment

Working...
                            X