Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[TUTORIAL] Create a procedural spline road tool in blueprints 4 part video series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I would also like to know if this will be coming soon? I am trying to make a roller coaster and, as with others, I'm getting the spline twisting when trying to make loops.
    Last edited by Catweazle; 07-16-2015, 08:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Any ETA update on spline feature upgrades? Roll and width would both be great to have for each spline point by default, also it would be nice to be able to manually set the tangents from blueprint instead of them being calculated.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just saw this, that's awesome news Richard, thanks a lot! Apologies I couldn't find the time to clean it up and submit a pull request for you. If you have any questions on the implementation just shout - michael@spaceduststudios.com.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Im interrested in this to. What about connecting multiple splines to create intersections? Anyone knows how?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Richard Talbot-Watkins View Post
    Hey all,

I'm currently working on a large feature upgrade of USplineComponent, and arbitrary rotation and scale on spline points will be one of the new features, along with editing of the spline in the Blueprint Editor.

Michael, thanks very much for your patch; although I'm unable to use it verbatim, it's served as a useful reference and we'll make sure you're credited in the next engine release

I'll update this thread with progress.

[To clarify, as I'm not in general on the forums, I'm an Epic employee!]
    For the 4.8 this will be ready ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Richard Talbot-Watkins View Post
    Hey all,

I'm currently working on a large feature upgrade of USplineComponent, and arbitrary rotation and scale on spline points will be one of the new features, along with editing of the spline in the Blueprint Editor.

Michael, thanks very much for your patch; although I'm unable to use it verbatim, it's served as a useful reference and we'll make sure you're credited in the next engine release

I can't remember some of the things I had wanted for blueprint splines, but if I had one blueprint wish for splines right now, it would be the ability to splice them together during runtime. End to end, end to middle, you name it.

Look forward to seeing improvements in general!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    wow nice! thank you !

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey all,

Last edited by Richard Talbot-Watkins; 03-19-2015, 03:45 PM. Reason: Clarification

Leave a comment:

• replied
    These changes were made against 4.5 release, that'd be why.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I tried integrating this with the latest Github source, but unfortunately it is not working properly. After converting FComponentInstanceDataBase to FActorComponentInstanceData I was able to get it to compile, but I am unable to edit the spline at all in the editor or the blueprint

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Apologies for the epic late reply - I wish the forum software automatically subscribed you by email to threads you post in.

RE: making a pull request, I haven't done this yet as there are a few dependencies with other local C++ changes we've made so it would be a bit of an effort to clean it up and get it into mainline. Unfortunately I've got a pretty tight schedule for Space Dust Racers so I probably won't have time to do this any time soon. Anyone is welcome to grab the code snapshot I posted above and push it through of course - I imagine if someone from the Epic team had a look, they'd probably have their own ideas about ways the tool could be improved. My implementation is very "road"-centric.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by JamesG View Post
    Hi sds-michael, were you still planning to (or did you already!) make a pull request for these changes? They look very cool!

James
    Yeah, this is need to be added.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by sds-michael View Post
    At some point I'll get around to cleaning this up and submitting a pull request to the engine mainline
    Hi sds-michael, were you still planning to (or did you already!) make a pull request for these changes? They look very cool!

James

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This definitely sounds possible, at least with C++. I'm using a similar approach to drive our AI in Space Dust Racers.

With the inbuilt UE4 SplineComponent, you can find the closest point on a spline to any world point. See USplineComponent::SplineInfo->InaccurateFindNearest(...).

Similarly, if you specify a time or a distance along the spline component, you can get the location and forward vector at any point along the spline, not just the keys. See:

USplineComponent::GetWorldLocationAtDistanceAlongSpline()
    USplineComponent::GetWorldDirectionAtDistanceAlongSpline()
    USplineComponent::GetWorldLocationAtTime()
    USplineComponent::GetWorldDirectionAtTime()

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi ,great work. I myself want to use splines for a movement proplem.
    So i have a question about the implementation of splines:

I want to move my character while he is standing on a moving walkway like you find them in a airport.
    The moving walkway should have a curved form sitting on a circle or donut.
    I need to apply a force which moves the character in every second tangential to the circle the moving walkway follows.

Here comes the spline into play (at least i hope it can come into play here).
    I want to place a spline in the form of the circle in, or over the moving walkway so that it follows its form exactly and want to read out the tangential vectorcomponent of the spline to apply the force of the moving walkway in each point.
    From what i have watched so far you only can access the location information of the spline on each point of the spline ?
    Is that true or is there also a way to get the location information of the spline also between its points ?
    I need some trace blueprint which traces the spline while the character/player is moving above the spline and acceses its tangential vector very frequent to apply force in this direction.

Has anyone a idea how i can do that ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X