Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal 4 Lighting Academy....or something like that ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi [MENTION=1624]Daedalus51[/MENTION], sorry to hear about your PC.

Perhaps can you consider opening a Patreon page to ask for some money from the community. I am pretty sure that at least a part of your audience would be happy to help, even if only for a few bucks.

Cheers!
    [Gamedev programmer at Darewise (Paris) - We are hiring]
    UE4 Git LFS 2.x Source Control Plugin 2.14-beta for UE4.23 - (v1 integrated by default since UE4.7)
    UE4 Plastic SCM Source Control Plugin 1.4.6 for UE4.23 - (integrated by default in Beta status since UE4.24)

Comment

@daedalus51 I hope you're up an running soon again for your own sake.
      Just wanted to say: your tutorials are really great and very good for new people to learn a lot. Greatly appreciated!

Comment

Sorry to hear about your PC man. As the poster above suggested, open up a donation page I am sure that the people who benefited from your videos here will happily chime in a few bucks to get you up and running again. Considering that you've made over a dozen hours of professional-grade lighting education warrants at least that much.

I do have a quick question though:

In the last video of the first session the grass seems to not really take the landscape light info, as seen below. Is this due to the texture base color mismatch or is there something else that needs to be done to blend this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	TerrainLightingIssue.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	582.3 KB
ID:	1128408

Comment

Originally posted by DamirH View Post
          Sorry to hear about your PC man. As the poster above suggested, open up a donation page I am sure that the people who benefited from your videos here will happily chime in a few bucks to get you up and running again. Considering that you've made over a dozen hours of professional-grade lighting education warrants at least that much.

I do have a quick question though:

In the last video of the first session the grass seems to not really take the landscape light info, as seen below. Is this due to the texture base color mismatch or is there something else that needs to be done to blend this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]142022[/ATTACH]
          Hey man,

thank you so much and sorry for not getting back at you regarding your PN. Things are pretty crazy right now and that issue with my PC is not making it any better Well...that donations thingy is fairly tricky for reasons that have to do with my employment, but I am working on figuring out what options I could have!

Regarding you question....I sadly cant look at the scene atm so I cant give you a 100% accurate answer, but I think that in the end, I tweaked things around so much that I just forgot to match them up again. So I think its the basecolor mismatch. Also, some of those grass patches might actually be on the dirt material at that spot and not the grass....but its hard to see XD

But yeah...basecolor missmatch seems likely, also...you always have to be careful with sub surface settings and bottom gradients for grass to not get such a disconnect. I can definitely look for that again once I have a working system^^

Thanks a lot and cheers!
          Check out UNREAL 4 Lighting Academy
          https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ng-like-that-)

Comment

Originally posted by Daedalus51 View Post
            Hey man,

thank you so much and sorry for not getting back at you regarding your PN. Things are pretty crazy right now and that issue with my PC is not making it any better Well...that donations thingy is fairly tricky for reasons that have to do with my employment, but I am working on figuring out what options I could have!

Regarding you question....I sadly cant look at the scene atm so I cant give you a 100% accurate answer, but I think that in the end, I tweaked things around so much that I just forgot to match them up again. So I think its the basecolor mismatch. Also, some of those grass patches might actually be on the dirt material at that spot and not the grass....but its hard to see XD

But yeah...basecolor missmatch seems likely, also...you always have to be careful with sub surface settings and bottom gradients for grass to not get such a disconnect. I can definitely look for that again once I have a working system^^

Thanks a lot and cheers!
            No worries about the PN, take your time. Hope everything works out regarding your PC!

Comment

[MENTION=1624]Daedalus51[/MENTION] Just wanted to say I really appreciate all the effort you took in making your videos. A great learn for anyone who's a beginner or who wants to learn more about lighting in Unreal. Also a big thanks you record and upload the whole process. It takes some time to watch everything but it never gets boring - on the contrary; all the small snippets of extra info / looking at an experienced pro-user use Unreal is very interesting and useful to watch.

A BIG thumbs up and thanks a lot !

Max

Comment

Originally posted by maxbrown View Post
                [MENTION=1624]Daedalus51[/MENTION] Just wanted to say I really appreciate all the effort you took in making your videos. A great learn for anyone who's a beginner or who wants to learn more about lighting in Unreal. Also a big thanks you record and upload the whole process. It takes some time to watch everything but it never gets boring - on the contrary; all the small snippets of extra info / looking at an experienced pro-user use Unreal is very interesting and useful to watch.

A BIG thumbs up and thanks a lot !

Max
                Thank you very much! Its really awesome for me to see how people feel about the videos I provide!

On a side note...still working on getting my machine back up running, so please...stay tuned^^

Cheers!

Comment

With default Third Person Template Map.

- Enable Distance fields in editor and restart

- Skylight set to movable

- Directional light set to stationary

In the screenshoot below, does this mean my computer doesn't support Distance fields

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	1129018

Name:	Directional Light 1.JPG
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	1129019

Comment

Originally posted by Uxibeo View Post
                    With default Third Person Template Map.

- Enable Distance fields in editor and restart

- Skylight set to movable

- Directional light set to stationary

In the screenshoot below, does this mean my computer doesn't support Distance fields

[ATTACH=CONFIG]143595[/ATTACH]
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]143596[/ATTACH]
                    I honestly dont know man! You should check the documentation to find out if your hardware is supported, that might lead you in the right direction.

On a different note though, I might have my PC back some time next week and since its the same one, I should be able to just boot it up again and continue working....in theory :P So yeah, I guess if everything goes well there will be Part 2 for Session 3 around the 17th or 18th of June.

STAY TUNED!

Cheers!

Comment

Help with Uncharted fan art

Good morning, first of all I would like to thank you for the great work you do by sharing all this knowledge with the community.

A few days ago I wrote on Youtube to see if I could help with a scene I'm riding, and he replied that at the moment I do not take projects which is logical, since it will have a lot of work and there is also the problem of the pc ...

What I would like is to see if you can give me advice about certain aspects and opinion of how the work is. First of all I'm doing all this level of Uncharted 4 "Clock Tower", as for the general lock I like a lot as the result is coming, but the lighting with respect to the orignal, I notice that I'm getting very flat .... I managed to mark both the shadow zones like them without sacrificing my light zones that I already like as they are ... and it is also important to note that I am working all with points and light sources, I do not use the sunlight in any Moment as the windows are covered with an emissive to make that point of light strong.

Name:	now2.jpg
Size:	519.5 KB
ID:	1129299 My model

Name:	^1033730104182AC58FC96546396D21B46B4E232ED6E3242B07^pimgpsh_mobile_save_distr.jpg
Size:	337.8 KB
ID:	1129295 Uncharted 4 Model

One of the problems that I can not solve is that, to make my shadows as sharp as they are, is there no way to make a negative light? That subtracts light
                      And another thing I can not get is that the shadows that are projected by certain objects with distance are lost and I do not know what parameter to play so that it does not change at any time, that the shadow is kept at a great distance.

Finally I would like to know your opinion in general regarding the scenario and what improvements would implement.

I hope you can help me in any way possible and thank you very much in advance for everything.

a greeting
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hey everyone.....GOOD NEWS!!

I am actually writing this from my PC which just came back from the repair shop 15mins ago and it looks like everything is working again and nothing got lost! So if everything goes well I can record a new video for you guys this weekend! Stay tuned!

BIG shoutout to NickV who donated hardware to me which I could send to the repair shop since they didnt get these parts anymore....thats kindness and passion!! Thank you so much man!

[MENTION=347470]berx[/MENTION] I will give you some feedback on your shots once I have a bit more time...I am on the run now^^

Cheers!
                        Last edited by Daedalus51; 06-16-2017, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Congrats on fixing your PC! I am learning tons from your YouTube Chanel, cant wait for your new videos

Comment

Hey guys,

new Session is up! Have fun and enjoy

Comment

Hey guys,

Excited to watch this! Glad you got a machine up and running again.

Comment

Hey guys,
                                Great you're up and running again! Learned a lot again so a big thanks for taking the effort!
                                A big thanks to Nick Verducci as well for helping you with the hardware problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X