ArchViz / Lighting

Hey man!

Wow…looks so so good :smiley: When I first saw the thumbnails I was like…wait, thats a photo or v-ray render xD Very nice quality push :slight_smile:

Just some minor questions^^… You said earlier: “I use a intensity of 6 for the sun and 16 for the spots, depends of your auto exposure. For exemple I used 1.0 for Min and Brightness (so no auto exposure) and 0.5 for exposure bias.”

16 for the spots? So you are NOT using inverse square falloff?^^ I always have a hard time translating the values just by looking at it :wink:
Also…with exposure settings like , dont you have to almost kill the bloom completely as well? Locking high to 1 AND adding the 0.5 offset triggers quite some bloom if you are not tweaking that one down a lot as well :wink:

Another thing I would find interesting…how do you setup your reflection capture actors? First, sphere or boxes? I mostly use boxes for rooms and spheres for details, but the boxes have quite a lot issues with rooms that are not rectangular (like T shapes etc…you get quite some noticable blending issues). I am also asking because of the stairs^^ Is it just one big box actor covering the hallway and the stairs? That would cause some heavy offset, but my guess is you just dont see it because conrete or wood is not a perfect mirror^^

Yeah…just some thoughts^^ Looking forward to see more breakdowns and nice videos :smiley:

Cheers!

PS: Wait whuuuut?!?!? You can calculate Lightmass in under 10 min with these crazy ini boosts AND bounces set to 100 (while 3 is the start value^^) in the world settings? Sounds like magic :smiley:

is just insane!

Honestly, I didn’t like your first image too much, of course it was good, but something was off. The school (or whatever was) video was great though, pretty much photorealistic.

BUT ONE IS JUST INSANE! I really had to triple check if it was a real recording or a render video. was actually scary, you know, not to know if something is real or not… imagine 5 years from now with Oculus and stuff… Fortunately, some leafes gave it away^^

Hey Man,

one more question…are you using the skylight in the new pavillion scene? Oh and by the way…isnt a part of Pavelló Mies van der Rohe in Barcelona?^^

Thanks for all the comments ! :wink:

Yep, the pavillion scene is directly inspired by Roman’s “the third and the seventh” (and yes it’s a part of Pavelló Mies van der Rohe in Barcelona^^).
(“the third and the seventh” … I watched video like a million time :slight_smile: It’s so amazing).

“16 for the spots? So you are NOT using inverse square falloff?”
Oops forgot to mention that ! I’m not using inverse square fallof for the spots (and the light fallof is set to 0.0001).

*Also…with exposure settings like , dont you have to almost kill the bloom completely as well? *
I set it at 0.25 (or 0.5 for the stairs scene).

how do you setup your reflection capture actors?
Well, the simplest possible way :slight_smile:
For the “Blue chairs” scene there is only one BoxReflectionCapture that cover the entire room and for the “Stairs” scene one Box for the room and one small sphere (for better reflection on the chairs). But most of the reflection is done by the screen space reflection (intensity 100, quality 100 and I use the command r.SSR.Quality 4 to have the best quality).

You can calculate Lightmass in under 10 min with these crazy ini boosts AND bounces set to 100 …
If I remember well, around 10min without the sun and a little more with.
Added a lots of secondary bounces don’t add significatively more render time.

are you using the skylight in the new pavillion scene?
Yep ! And a big spot/reflector to add a little directionality in the ambient lighting.

Well done sir, …thumbs up!

More Speedtree tests :slight_smile:

http://tof.canardpc.com/preview2/b8ad12dc-cef9-456b-93c9-029492898b01.jpg

Hey man, thanks a lot for answering all my questions! :smiley: Very much appreciated :slight_smile:

Dem trees look very nice and fluffy^^ So would you say speed tree for ue4 is a good thing? (we tried it a year ago or so and werent convinced by it)

Hi,
I’ve been trying speedtree for only a few days so i’m absolutely not a expert on it, but I think it’s a very usefull tool.
I don’t even think to make kind of tree by hand, it would take so many time. With speedtree you can have a good tree in few minutes (and you have lightmap UV, LOD, wind automatically).

But they need to improve the UE4 integration (and fix few bugs in the speedtree modeler). I have some weird texture/lod problems (the tree textures change randomly to a very low resolution and I absolutly don’t know why :/), reimport a tree is not really practical (I lose the materials/lightmap res settings all the time) and can cause weird bugs sometime.

sound like texture streaming problem.Try to enable ‘‘never stream’’ in texture options, should fix the problem. :slight_smile:

It worked ! \o/
Thank you !

Btw what is the polycount of the trees?To me at least looks like 10-15k per tree.

For the pavillion scene it was 10-15k … but for the last one I was a bit “crazy”^^, around 25-30k :smiley:
It’s clearly not “in game” trees but for archviz something around 20-25k looks pretty good and don’t kill (too much) the framerate.

btw: I would LOVE to see a quick Video Runthrough through your workflow of setting up a Scene like the interior chair scene (materials & lighting), that would help me a lot to get startet with UE4, which I’m seriously considering :wink: Keep up the good work! :slight_smile:

Holy **** – is super impressive! I can’t wait to see you putting it all together in a single environment :slight_smile: Do you plan to release your final project?

The same exact thing comes to my mind. Still work :slight_smile:

That’s spectacular. Nice work!

I’d say don’t re-import trees at the moment. I haven’t tried it again since upgrading to 4.4, but in 4.3 the re-import doesn’t really do a complete re-import. It’s best to import a brand new tree.

Outstanding work.

Im a bit green. Have you changed r.LightPropagationVolume=1 or its off like default?

Great work also with speedtree! I absolutely love the lighting on the tree scenes and the general feeling, a single scene enclosing the different environments you have been showing us would be gorgeous. Have you been in archviz rendering for a long time before using UE4?

Back to the chairs’ scene, how do you get to have so sharp shadows on the floor? What kind of lightmap resolution are you using?

I was astonished with the quality of work, produced by UE for archviz, with the work that you presented here.
Félicitations!

I’ve never worked with software, I´m architect. To achieve a satisfactory result, the learning curve is long?

Thank´s